Mule deer area J and Antelope area 30

M

michiganelkguide

Hi everyone: I wanted to ask some questions about these areas. I have a freind who lives in Douglas and i am coming out to Wyoming this fall to hunt with him . I lived in douglas for a year in 02 but moved back to Michigan and yes i know what a dumb move. I was wondering provided i draw both tags what do you think the chance is of me geting a chance at a decent muley buck and a good antelope? My buddy says he has saw some real nice bucks last year and i know he has permission on private and of course there is the state and federal and blm land. If i don't draw the area 30 antelope tag which area close by would you apply for in july for left over tags? Will there be any antlerless antelope or deer tags availabe over the counter this year? He wants me to apply for left over elk for area 7 i have no points so not much of a chance to get that is there? I know i am asking alot of questions but i haven't been to wyoming since i left in 02 and i am retired now so i am thinking of moving back there soon. Take care and thanks for your help Carl

Since no one has answered, I'll give you a try. Mostly, my answer is "it depends." On the mule deer, where you hunt and what type of ranch you'll be on will determine your success. Some rnaches in J have studs; others you'll be looking at mostly yearlings. And you can get doe licenses for antelope in a lot of areas, but you may have to move around a bit. But there will be doe licenses available.

Getting a decent antelope buck should be pretty easy, but again, it depends upon your standards. A 13 inch buck is doable, 14 is tougher and 15 inchers are really tough in this area.

Finally, there's not much public land in this area. Since you mentioned that, be sure of where you are. Most landowners won't tolerate trespassing, so be sure before you go out.

Good luck and hope you have a great hunt.

I can give you a little info on Region J as I've hunted it a few times. We were about 15 miles east of Glenrock. There are always left over tags so you will draw the deer tag. The ranch we hunt on is not good for deer but we've managed to fill tags whenever we've hunted it. Last year, I believe they got a good late rain which helped the feed and in turn helped antler growth. I think that is the key ingredient to the deers antler growth. If theres not much rain, smaller racks. Hopefully, your buddy has some private to hunt. Good luck!

Steve

Hi : thanks so far guys! My buddy has a freind who owns 10,000 acres and we may hunt that some and we do have permission on about another 2,000 acres that i got permission to hunt on in 02 i have all ready called this land owner to make sure i can hunt it. My buddies wife got a 330 bull elk on state land in 07 last year and she took a 340 bull elk on the same state land in 02.. He told me yesterday that he has seen a few real nice bucks and he has a couple of ideas for me so i am really looking forward to geting back out there . If i can find a house resonable i may buy one while i am out there. It looks like i have about a 92% chance to draw a antelope buck tag in area 30 but if i dont draw there i was thinking of area 29 or 26 for left over is there is any what do you think? Thanks for the help and keep it coming see ya Carl

Good luck with the house hunt at a reasonable price. WY is booming like it did in the early 80's. I hope for folks sake that the bust end of things is not like it was back then also! Here were 2 houses up near Bill for sale this past fall. I never checked the price but have a phone number if you want it. 358-6442

willy_p ...thanks for the help i will check them out . I have been looking on line and found a few moduler homes but the price was kind of steep. I may have to rent for a while after i move i don't know but at least i will be in wyoming..thanks again for your help bye Carl

Rent or buy it is going to be high, IMO. Also any agent in the area can look in the multiple listings and give you a range of price per footage on houses in an area you are interested in. They may not want to do that but they can , from my experience with an agent back here I knew.

BTW here are new apartments in "downtown" Bill that should be finish by now. That may be a little north for you though.

Pat

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom