Mule Deer General Advice

B

Bowdent

I am new to archery deer hunting and am looking to educate myself about how to hunt mule deer in the desert. I have done some scouting in a few areas I have in mind, but I could use some advice on the general types of terrain, approximate elevation, and types of habitat to scout for desert mule deer. I do not want any specifics, as finding them and scouting them myself is really more than half of the fun of hunting. Any general mule deer knowledge would be much appreciated. Thanks

In southern AZ units like 29, I have located most mule deer in the lower elevation. Look at the grassy, rolling hills. In some of the units west of 29, I find them in the flats. Harder to locate there, but tracking has worked for me in the past.

Finding a secluded water hole with alot of track can be very productive. If you find a water hole to hunt try and hunt it during the week and take the weekend off. I know of alot of bucks that have been killed around 10:30 am.

Thanks much for the advice, especially the part about not getting my feelings hurt. Ya kinda start to think the deer are just over the next ridge laughing at you because you can't find them. I found a place with water, and lots of cover. No tracks but lots of droppings that were several weeks old (I think). Is it worth hanging out to see if they come back? Again thanks for the input!

When it comes to hunting desert muleys my feelings stay hurt all of the time.

Madglasser and mesquitehunter are without a doubt 2 of the most knowledgeable guys around when it comes to hunting desert mule deer. I'd listen to them carefully. They know their business.

creed can also give some of the best advice I know of. Maybe hunter1, jason. eric, heat, fugitive and some others (sorry if I didn't put your name here, but you know who you guy's are!) will give you some of their advice. The learning is as big as the deer!
Travis
www.southwesthuntingadventures.com

Guys
this is exactly what this forum should be. Folks helping each other to make, a guy like bowdent, have a more productive outdoor experence. He likes doing it and learning for him self.
How much better of a young man could you want to help.
Bowdent, I second the fact if you listen to these guys you will be way ahead of the game. Good luck, and it sounds like you will enjoy yourself,just being out among um. We all feel the same way.
Steve Cheuvront

You have alot of time to find water. If you hunt cow ponds keep in mind the cattle wipe the deer tracks out so check the outside perimeter for deer tracks. Also the birds usually wipe out the deer tracks on G&F guzzlers check for trails leading into the water.

The only other advice I would add is when you think you have glassed enough. Then glass again!! And again!!! The water can be tricky, if it is real dry then they will hit the water but if it has been raining they wont come into the tanks as much and there are very nocturnal due to the heat of the day. The December / Jan hunts are during the rut so anything can happen. If I were you I would invest in a few Trail Cams to get a better understanding of what is out there. Over the last few years there have been a lot of Mountain Lions in the desert so the deer are becoming less and less available every year. More deer or seen and killed in the flats than up in the hills. Good Luck...

John

Everyone here has pretty much nailed what I would say. Glass, water, glass, scout, get out away from the roads, and glass some more. The only ather thing I would mention would be to do as much varmint calling in the off season as you can. they seem to be getting worse every year.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
aufvqq.jpg

Thanks for tha advice. I have thought about trail cams to see if there is anything even passing through I will pick some up. Do those mule deer really live out the summer on the desert floor in 100+ degrees, or do they head for slightly higher ground in the heat of the summer. I just want to glass all summer (just 'cause it's fun) and if I should focus on the desert flats that's actually easier than trying to get way up to 3000' or more. If I find deer in a place during June/July what are the odds they will be in the same vicinity come September or January? Somebody shout at me if I am asking too many questions!!!

Many times I have bachelor groups to stay in the same location throughout spring, summer,and fall and not to far, in general, in the winter. I spend the majority of my time in the lower, flatter stuff. After all, water flows down hill. When it becomes super dry this summer, try finding the absolute lowest vicinity. This is where cattle will be. Keep in mind, where there are cattle, there is water and feed.

Travis

Some great advice here from folks who have success in the desert. Only thing I'll add that's worked for me is IF you can locate some resident does in the area you're hunting.........keep checking on them daily during the hunt. Desert bucks have a tendancy to suddenly "show up" with the does when love is in the air.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Bohntr gave some great advice there. He is a VERY reputable source. He has managed to take some awesome bucks and I am sure will continue to do so.

Something I found long ago that can give some insight into an area is the number of G&F water catchments in an area and the proximity to each other. They are there for a reason.
If you find an area with several drinkers 2-3 miles apart that can often be an indication of the amount of game in the area.

I like rolling hill country that transitions into the flats with washes. A good high point is a must for glassing. The best advice I ever got was to buy the highest quality glass that I could afford. 10x42 binocs is the best all around glass IMO but if you can afford it add to them a quality spotting scope or higher powered binocs with a tripod.
They are your biggest ally when hunting deer. Learn to use them and they'll put more meat in the freezer.

I've had success looking for green areas as madglasser mentioned. I hunted one year with my family when the desert looked like it had been defoliated it was so dry. There was a strip about a half mile wide and a mile long that a summer thunderstorm had unloaded on. Every deer in the area was in that spot and we killed 3 nice bucks out of there over a five day period.
And don't overlook a spot just because it doesn't "look" good. I have seen some monsters in some of the most unlikely places such as greasewood flats. 99% of the guys out there wouldn't give it a second look.
There are some GREAT desert deer hunters giving advice here. If you can take it and put it all together you'll have a great start to learning how to hunt the giants of the desert!

Keep a log of where the rain falls. Weather.com is a great way to monitor the rain. This will help give you an idea where to start looking for green areas. Sometimes like the past couple years it's been green everywhere and it can really make it tough.

One thing for sure there is no three paragraph solution to hunting desert bucks. For most guy's it's a huge learning curve going from high country alpine meadows down to the low country grease wood flats. There are hundreds of books on how to hunt Mule deer but very very few explain anything about the desert southwest.

Thanks again to all for imparting hard earned knowledge to a rookie.
Question to creed: How can I tell if it is a G&F water or just a cattle water or something else. Is there something that will tell me if they built it?

I hope I can put all this knowledge to use, but from what I hear I may not expect to kill a desert muley for 5 years or more, and thats ok, learning the curve will be fun.

As far as hunting techniques go, I would agree with them all. Great advice. As was referred to desert mulies are a tough hunt. Besides the terrain they live in making it tough, the numbers of mulies, let alone good mulies, may be lower than what you are used to. You will do well int implementing all of them, but remember to be adaptive to what ever the terrain, time period, pressure, etc. dictates because the animals will be dictated to by those factors also. In otherwords, don't get stuck on one technique because you may be more comfortable with one over the other. Give em all a try.
Lastly, I would add that the shot opportunities may be longer shots on average than what you are used to. Try and determine what your maximum, proficient shooting distance is and then become more proficient at that distance as often times that distance will be your most presented shot distance. You will be more successful in the desert by doing this because you won't have to push the situation any further at risk of spooking the animal in very tough, stalkable terrain in many cases.

If I repeated any advice from earlier I apologize. Good stuff.

I started getting into desert hunting a couple years back and maaaaaaan is it fun. Creed and Maddglasser helped me tons, those guys no thier stuff. Another peice of advice I would give is once you find a good area or even general area that holds deer... stick with it. I made the mistake of not giving myself enough time in one area to really get to know it. Of course I ended up here in Wyoming so I'm hunting a whole different kind of desert now but the same rules apply. Mule deer are where they are, I've seen them on north faces, south faces, flats, washes... they just are where they are. Thats why you absolutly have to stay behind the glass as long as possible. If you find fresh sign.. they are there but it make take hours of glassing a small area to locate them. Good luck once you get out there and see those bucks you'll be hooked.

Donnie

P.S. Hi all, everythings good here, hope all you guys are great.

Donnie,
Are we going to have to start calling you WYOWALKER? To bad we never got to get out. If you EVER make it back down this way give me a call.

BOWDENT,
Don't for a second think the bucks down here are any less than anywhere in this state. Many who have givin you advice, know exactly what I am talking about. Put the best bino's you can use, steal, beg on a GOOD tripod. Look where you expect and don't expect and always look furthur than what you think you can. Let your eyes do the walking! You will start seeing deer.
Somedays we see up 100 deer a day, the very next day 10 deer.
Travis

Thanks bubbas, What would you say is an average shot distance on a good desert muley buck. I feel really comfortable at 30 yds. but I have a feeling that close of a shot would not present itself very often. I practice quite a bit though so trying to adjust my comfortable distance out should just take some time and fine tuning.

Start practicing out to 90 yds and work in. You'll be amazed at how close 40-50 yds seem after shooting at that range for awhile.

Bowdent you have to understand that there are two types of deserts here in AZ. Generaly everything west of Tonapah and south of I-10 the vegitation is very sparse and could require a long shot. But North of I-10 and East of tonapah includeing the southern units the desert is pretty thick with vegitation and could require a close shot.

Last year maddglasser had a rifle tag and was hunting with a .375 open site lever action rifle because his shots were fifty yards or less. In fact the buck he killed last year was shot from about 5 feet away from him. I saw him shoot it.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-09 AT 10:35AM (MST)[p]Creed gave great advice. When I first started all I shot was 20-30. Then a couple years ago, I started going out to Ben Avery. Well I'd get there and everyone was using the 20-40 tagets so I just moved over to 50-60. After a while thats all I'd shoot. I got down to a 6 inch group at 60 in a couple weeks. It really won't take you long to adjust. You have plenty of time to get tuned in for long shots. Remember... alot of the same principals that apply to rifles apply to archery. Sight alignment, sight picture, form, breathing.. they all transfer over. You may need to come back around and ask questions about form and stuff when you do start shooting longer distance... but thats what we're all here for... Good Luck Bud

P.S. Another thing you will want to start practicing is taking one shot at a time. When you decide to go shoot, get yourself ready. Grab one arrow, walk out to the target and take a shot. Get your arrow, go back and do something else for 15 min. then go back and do it again. Remember when you're hunting, theres no warm up time before a shot, that first arrow has to count!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom