Mule Deer hunt with 1 Non Res point

buckhorn

Very Active Member
I’ve been a long time MM contributor and rarely ask for any help but now I need some suggestions.
For 2021 I was going to apply for a muzzleloader deer hunt but the season dates don’t work for me this year.
I’ve been hearing that any unit in Colorado could have good bucks so I’m wondering if there is a decent later season hunt that could be drawn with 1 nonresident point.
I was looking at units 3/301, 11/211 and 72/73 but don’t know much about them.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Private conversations welcome.
Thanks

I’ve been a long time MM contributor and rarely ask for any help but now I need some suggestions.
For 2021 I was going to apply for a muzzleloader deer hunt but the season dates don’t work for me this year.
I’ve been hearing that any unit in Colorado could have good bucks so I’m wondering if there is a decent later season hunt that could be drawn with 1 nonresident point.
I was looking at units 3/301, 11/211 and 72/73 but don’t know much about them.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Private conversations welcome.
Thanks
NW Colorado’s deer herds are in bad shape right now. The massive tag increases that have occurred have absolutely crushed our deer in 3/301 and 11/211. Colorado destruction of wildlife is pushing the culling in the name of CWD.... I honestly didn’t see a semi mature buck the entire 4th rifle season while I was elk hunting in 11/211. I think 3/301 is probably in a better state at this point with the larger blocks of private land that potentially gives a buck the chance to see his 3rd birthday.

Coloradoboy

NW Colorado’s deer herds are in bad shape right now. The massive tag increases that have occurred have absolutely crushed our deer in 3/301 and 11/211. Colorado destruction of wildlife is pushing the culling in the name of CWD.... I honestly didn’t see a semi mature buck the entire 4th rifle season while I was elk hunting in 11/211. I think 3/301 is probably in a better state at this point with the larger blocks of private land that potentially gives a buck the chance to see his 3rd birthday.

Coloradoboy
Thanks Cole
How about 16 or 17 or the units further south like 72/73 or others east of the divide?

My buddy hunted 72/73 a couple years ago, either 3rd or 4th season and felt it was a waste of his time and travel/gas.

My buddy hunted 72/73 a couple years ago, either 3rd or 4th season and felt it was a waste of his time and travel/gas.
That’s what I’m afraid of.
I keep reading that good bucks can be found in any unit in Colorado if you hunt hard enough or get lucky but maybe that’s not really true after all. There’s a reason those hunts can be drawn with zero points.
Thanks

I've only hunted deer once in CO, 11/211 3rd 2019 and I won't be hunting that unit again if that tells you anything.

I keep reading that good bucks can be found in any unit in Colorado if you hunt hard enough or get lucky but maybe that’s not really true after all. There’s a reason those hunts can be drawn with zero points.
Thanks
This isn’t entirely true. I hunt easy to draw units and do, what most would consider alright. The units that you’ve listed I personally don’t have the confidence in. The units that typically produce big deer and are easy to draw are those units with rough country and limited roads. Where a guy has to lace up the boots and work for them. 3/301 and 11/211 are full of roads and relatively mild country which is what makes them very popular.

This isn’t entirely true. I hunt easy to draw units and do, what most would consider alright. The units that you’ve listed I personally don’t have the confidence in. The units that typically produce big deer and are easy to draw are those units with rough country and limited roads. Where a guy has to lace up the boots and work for them. 3/301 and 11/211 are full of roads and relatively mild country which is what makes them very popular.
Exactly! It kinda sounds to me he’s just tryin to talk himself out of not going but maybe I’m wrong. One thing is for sure u can’t kill em at the house

Exactly! It kinda sounds to me he’s just tryin to talk himself out of not going but maybe I’m wrong. One thing is for sure u can’t kill em at the house
It’s true you can’t kill them at the house.
Actually I’m not trying to talk myself out of it I’m trying to talk myself into it. Just trying to get as much info as I can.
It’s called homework.
Colorado boy has always been good that way and I trust what he says.
If there’s tons of people and a bunch of roads I honestly would rather not go on a hunt like that.
Appreciate the comments.

I would rather lace up my boots and hunt hard on foot.
The units I mentioned are the ones that look like could be drawn with one point. I know there are some others but the success rate is low and maybe those are the ones I should look at?
I won’t post any more unit numbers on here hopefully I can rely on PMs.
Cole can I chat with you by private conversation?
I’ll send you a PM.
Thanks

I hunted a second choice tag last year that will most likely be a one point draw this year and came up a little short on a mid 170 class buck, they are there you just have to want it and they will be a few after these late seasons but just very few! Good luck in your choice I know Colorado can be overwhelming as I have been damn near banging my head against the wall trying to decide where to spend my points this year and trying to predict point creep according to season and GMU.

Lived and hunted muleys in CO for 25 years. Sticksender has the best advice and second is Coloradoboy to pick a unit with not much vehicle access and get where others aren't.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom