Murderers Creek 146

bigmoose

My Mom an Dad both drew rifle deer tags for this area and I'm wondering if someone could give me some info on this area ? They are both in their eighties and not able to do much hiking. I'm not after someone's honey hole, maybe just a general area where they might fill their tags. I'm just along for the ride and will be the "go-fer". Don't think they have many more hunts left and I'm looking forward to spending time with them out in the field.
I hunted the Strawberry Wilderness back in the eighties for elk with them and that's probably why they wanted to go back. Lots of changes since then, I'm sure.
Anyway, any help would really be appreciated. Thank you !

Moose

That's where I've hunted most of my life, it's been in the decline for some time but last year was flat out depressing. I saw more cat sign than deer sign and I'm not joking.

I hunt mostly the north half of the west side of the unit, the only advise I can give you is look elsewhere, down towards Deer Creek and 500 flats always has more hunters but maybe fewer cats I can't say . it's a great unit and you'll see some elk and too many wild horses, if it just had some deer it would be great.

huntindude
Thanks for your help. I did not know the cats had become that big of a problem up there. Sounds like where I live in California.
We are going to be there for the whole season and if anything it will be a good family hunt.
Thanks again.

Moose

Yes you'll like the country, and you'll have plenty of time so move around and check out other areas maybe youll find a pocket or two with a few deer.

Go up on Aldrich and take your spotting scope and look down to the west, there are some bighorn in there you might get a look at. there is also some good trout fishing in the south fork and in the larger creeks if you want to bring your pole. it's fantastic country I just wish I could tell youu something better about the deer. I should add if you aren't a trophy hunter there are a few, and I mean a few smaller bucks around it isn't hopeless if you aren't worried about quality.

If you have any questions about access, camping areas or where to find a particular type of hunting area let me know I'd be glad to help you. this unit has very diverse types of terrain.

huntindude
I'm gong to do just what you suggested, including bringing my fishing pole. My Dad is not a trophy hunter at this point in his life and would be very happy to just take a forky I'm sure. He has taken a few good bucks in the past and still enjoys the taste of fresh venison.
Thanks. Moose

>That's where I've hunted most of
>my life, it's been in
>the decline for some time
>but last year was flat
>out depressing. I saw more
>cat sign than deer sign
>and I'm not joking.
>
> I hunt mostly the north
>half of the west side
>of the unit, the only
>advise I can give you
>is look elsewhere, down towards
>Deer Creek and 500 flats
>always has more hunters but
>maybe fewer cats I can't
>say . it's a great
>unit and you'll see some
>elk and too many wild
>horses, if it just had
>some deer it would be
>great.

Well, if what I have seen the last 2 scouting trips means anything the south end of the unit isn't much better. I've hunted off and on around the 500 flats area for maybe the past 20 or so years and man the deer just aren't there anymore. In a total I'd say we saw 5-6 deer for a number of miles driven and walked. Seen a few elk around and plenty of elk sign but the deer situation is just sad. I killed my biggest buck in this unit in 1992 and have seen some big ones but this year sure looks bleak. Good luck to you and your folks, I wish I could give you some better info but I sure don't know where to look.

oregonmuley Thank you for your input. Sounds like we have our work cut out for us. I won't be able to scout before the season due to my limited vacation time but I will study the maps and I'll have the whole season to try and figure it out.
When we hunted there in the eighties, I saw one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen down low in the mtn. mahogany. He was in a archery only area Southwest of the wilderness area. This buck was a huge 4 point around 36 inches wide and probably would score 200 or more. An absolute monster. It was during elk season and the deer season was over. Seems like both seasons were only five days long, with deer season being first. I've never been back but don't remember seeing many deer in those days either.
Thanks. Moose

LAST EDITED ON Jul-04-09 AT 11:07AM (MST)[p]I'm going back for at least one more scouting trip - my hunting buddy is archery elk hunting it for the 1st time so will be showing him around plus the general season - if I run across anything at all to report I'll PM you what I know. I really know more about the south end than the north if that matters but will see what we see.

Here is one I got there - not huge but Ok for an Oregon buck I guess.

4a4f8c59442561a7.jpg

I saw a few bucks on the SE side of the unit while scouting for elk a few years ago. The burns in that area have created better feed. This was South of the Wilderness. Quite a few roads in that area. Hope you find some! Have a great hunt with your parents!

I have hunted that unit a fair amount(mostly for elk) and hunted it last year again for deer. It was BAD!!! There were no does, let alone a buck. (and yes, that involved hiking 2-3 miles into the road closure areas) Areas where we had seen sign and lots of animals in previous years had nothing. So we moved and tried other areas, still nothing. This is one of the units that Fish and Game is supposed to work on as part of their mule deer project but they aren't off to a good start(very slightly cut tags, and not enough to make a difference) What i saw last year would indicate a complete freeze on deer hunting for several years combined with targeting and removal of the Cats like they have done in Heppner. And then you would need to get the Feds to do something with the Wild Horses which are at 175% of thei managment objective.

If I was hunting it again for deer i would probably try the eastern half. The Western half is overrun with Wild horses. There are TONS of Cats in the Western Half, i can't say there would be any less in the eastern half but it can't be worse.

elkliver: Thank you for your help. Sounds like we have our work cut out for us. If anything , it will be a great family camping trip. Fresh meat would be the icing on the cake. Maybe the fish will be biting ? Thanks. Moose

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-09 AT 10:14PM (MST)[p]thats sad cause i hunted it 3 years ago and saw 300 deer....just goes to show how fast a cat clean a unit out!

Big Moose, I tried to send you a PM about the lease to a real nice piece of property that I'm leasing hunts on. I'm new at this so let me know if you got it or want more info. I can't figure out where to look for PM's? A guy killed a 198 P&Y buck on this place 3 years ago.

firehunter Thank you for your offer. I really appreciate it. My folks are on a fixed income and I don't think they could swing it. It sounds like a great spot.

I did get your earlier PM and I answered it right away. I found another PM in my inbox today and also replied back to you. Thanks again for your help. Moose

Back
Top Bottom