Musk ask you a question?

SS!

Long Time Member
Have you had musk ox? Definitely one of the better wild game meats out there:

5D8545F8-7C46-4702-AB3E-61AF207A5E52.jpeg
4EF4F672-EC5A-48DE-BE0A-84C36E9CAAD0.jpeg

I had it once at a restaurant called The Fort near Denver. The restaurant is famous for game meats. I didn’t care for it at all. Maybe it wasn’t prepared correctly. I really like the restaurant usually.

Those steaks looks delicious. With the marbling, they remind me of ribeyes.

SS, what is the average size/weight of a mature musk ox? How much meat do you get from a mature animal?

Hawkeye

Those steaks looks delicious. With the marbling, they remind me of ribeyes.

SS, what is the average size/weight of a mature musk ox? How much meat do you get from a mature animal?

Hawkeye
Not sure if live weight but you’ll get around 180-200 lbs of deboned meat. Unless you’re No meat Marley and you’ll get 150 ?

Wow...amazing looking steaks! I'm now officially hungry.

I would have thought they were bigger critters, but honestly have never seen one in person. Must be a lot more hair to them than I would have guessed!

Yes. Killed a bull in September 2018 on Nunivak Island. Wish the transporter had told me how delicious the fat was! Better than Kobe beef in Japan.

That is very interesting. I was also very surprised with the marbling. It would be interesting to try. What meat (taste) does it come close to, if any?

Took the kids to Alaska to see Denali, fish for salmon and halibut back in 2013. East of Palmer Alaska there was a musk ox ranch. Kids enjoyed seeing them. Think they sold the meat also, but I can’t remember. Never tried it but should of and will someday.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom