Muzzleloader of choice.

YZF_88

Just curious what you folks prefer for a muzzleloader. The regs don't allow 209 primers and the cap/ect must be exposed per the regs as well. Wondering what you shoot that meets the criteria. It'd be a shame if I have to buy another gun to hunt there.

I own a 50 cal. Knight Bighorn and use the musket caps. I'm not big into muzzleloading and am by no means an expert. All I know is that it's never failed to go off, it shoots decent groups at 100yds and it kills deer and elk.

I prefer the traditional style muzzleloaders. I have a caplock hawken but plan on selling it and buying a Lyman GPR. Lyman also makes the same traditional style gun with a fster twist rate if you want to shoot conicals.

Here are some links to modern style muzzleloaders that are Idaho legal:
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product_info.php?products_id=59

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product_info.php?products_id=59

Many manufacturers no produce a "northwest" gun which meets Idaho, Oregon and Washington regulations. Just go to any manufacturers website and searh for northwest in the title. Those that have one will be easy to find.

I love my guns. I haven't seen a inline that I would rather have. Ron

HawkenwithRecoilpad1.jpg

Flatlander2.jpg

Those guns of Idahorons are really nice. But for something right off the shelf get the Knight Bighorn and shoot the musket caps. perfectly legal with the exposed primer. Shoot the power belt all lead bullets.

The Lyman Great Plains rifle is perfectly good right off the shelf. If you have aging eyes like mine you could add Lyman's rear peep sight and front globe with post and bead. With conicals you'll be shooting good groups with this rig out to 100, and further with practice. Go to some of the gun auction websites and you can find excellent deals on these, and have it shipped right to your house without the need for an FFL.

Knight bighorn shoots incredibly well for me. I use #11 caps though and have had good luck with them. My only complaint is the short stock on my rifle. I think the newer version has a longer more traditional stock.
www.pure-elevation.com

I agree with the powerbelt pure lead bullets. They load easy, don't gunk up your barrel like conicals that use bore butter, they fly great and most important they are legal in Idaho.

I took this buck at 115 yards with this set-up. Knight bighorn, 295gr powerbelt pure lead HP, 90 grains of Triple 7.

The shot looks high but it was a downhill shot quartering away and hit right where I wanted it to.

You can see in the picture the short stock on the rifle. It causes problems when shouldering the rifle, but it is my only complaint with the knight bighorn.

DSCF2274-2.jpg

www.pure-elevation.com

I have a Thompson Renegade 50 cal but really thinking of getting the Traditions Ultralight Vortek Northwest Magnum 50 cal for next year. I know, it's not traditional but it's within the Idaho laws and I think will be more reliable and...ultralight.

Thanks for more great info. Great looking guns. I'd rather shoot a muzzle loader over a rifle any day.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-12 AT 07:26AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-12 AT 07:07?AM (MST)

I have a Hawkin similar to Rons,a Knight Bighorn,and a CVA Apex.All use musket caps.The CVA shoots great groups as does the Hawkin.The Bighorn shoots a little bit larger groups but all will take game at reasonable distance.The CVA is the easiest to clean and has great trigger,as does the Hawkin.Fun guns to hunt with.Larry

Is that peep sight the Williams FP? If so, did you have to do anything special to mount? I just ordered one for my T/C Hawken.

I mounted a Williams WGRS peep on my T/C Black Diamond for this season...first time with a peep and wow do I like it. But when I got home Monday night, discovered the aperture and left/right adjustment piece were gone. Good thing I only saw small bucks! It was on the gun Monday morning, so the set screw must have backed off (I had it cranked down pretty good I thought). Williams recommends coating the screw with clear nail polish, let dry, then install for final sighting in. Duh probably.

REALLY glad I have the Hawken for backup...its usually my primary but really wanted to finally kill something with the Black Diamond. Oh well, maybe another notch goes on the Hawken while I wait for parts!

I'll be converting it over to the FP peep in the off season.

Powder

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom