My dad's rattlesnake ram

taximan

LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-14 AT 12:56PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-14 AT 12:14?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-14 AT 11:08?AM (MST)

I want to report on my dad, Paul Memmott's, Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep hunt. He drew out for the Rattlesnake unit. We talked to many people about the hunt and went down there scouting around a few times during the summer. We saw sheep each time and I knew from that and the information from friends that we were going to have a great time. It was suggested by many people to wait until the week of the 15th of November to go down and start hunting. We left on the 13th prepared to stay for as long as needed.
When we arrived in the canyon we instantly began to see sheep including rams larger than we had seen on our previous trips. We began our hunt concentrating on the river corridor and a few other canyons to the east. We saw sheep in all the areas and saw plenty of rams. They seemed to be in full rut as the rams were pushing ewes and traveling around looking for more ewes. The sheep also were quite low, just below the first cliff layer on the canyon walls. We covered the lower and higher roads and trails, glassing as much as possible.
1854spotting.jpg

On the second day we found a pretty good ram, it was close so were able to get a good look at him. He was an older ram with horns that wrapped around pretty good and he seemed to have good mass. I told my dad that I thought we could do better or at least try.
3739roadside2.jpg

He was a little disappointed but he passed on him. We went on looking and finding more rams and seeing the same sheep numerous times. We saw the ram he had passed on three separate occasions.
515020141114_171932.jpg

We saw another hunt stalk and shoot his ram which was very cool to witness from a distance. We ran into many great people who were just having fun looking at sheep or had hunted there before previously. It was fun to hear all their stories and see their pictures. The third day we went out to the east and saw some great country and more sheep. As the day came an end we were close to camp and saw a large group of sheep just above camp in a boulder jumble. We saw a very nice looking ram with three other younger rams and about 10 ewes and lambs. We hurried up there and got into range at about 180 yards. The ram looked good, heavy and long with tips that appeared to turn up slightly.
2140ramnorris.jpg

This picture is a little grainy but you get the idea. He then went off to the side and bedded down. In a matter of time it was too late to shoot and we went back to camp for the night.
That night brought a howling windstorm that took down one of our tents. During the storm we were hunkered down as some locals drove up and down the roads spotlighting and shooting in all directions. It was a little spooky. The morning looked to be a better day and we started off again, doing the same route as we had done. We met with other people looking at sheep and other hunters who were hunting the nine mile unit. My dad was bout the last man standing, except for the non-resident hunter. We ran into a ram that was heading right down the road and took some great pictures of him.
1583road_ram2.jpg

We went on stopping and glassing. This day the sheep were out and moving and we saw more than ever. We stopped looking at a group across the river and my dad spotted a ram on his side and said he thought it was a good one. We all focused on that ram. He did look good. He was right in the sun so it was hard to tell for sure. He was really after one ewe and was pushing her all over the place.
2536sunny.jpg

My dad said he really wanted that ram and we couldn't disagree so we watched and waited to see where they were heading. They went into a small but steep side canyon and bedded down. We decided to make our move using a small ridge and finally some large boulders to get us within 200 yards. We then began to wait, as the place where they bedded wasn?t suitable for a shot. In about 45 minutes the ewe got up and began moving to our right. We knew the ram would soon follow. He didn't let her out of his sight and he soon rose up and started after her. My dad had been preparing for the shot for some time and he just whispered to tell him when the ram got into a good spot. I was trying to video but the sun was so bad I couldn't see the ram in the viewfinder. I decided it better to spot than video and turned it off. The ram moved into a good spot, 178 yards away uphill and we gave dad the green light. One shot from the .270 WSM and the heartshot ram folded and went down for good. My brother Shane and Ryan Beatty hiked down to the truck to get the packs and dad and I went to the ram. It was awesome to get there and finally get our hands on him. To be honest, it was pretty emotional. The ram is a great animal and we were so excited for my dad to get his ram.

2161kill2.jpg

1465allofus2.jpg

He was with me when I took my desert bighorn and so was my brother. It makes it that more special to have your family with you. Our thanks go out to Mike Fisher, Brett Caldwell, Steve Simons, and Ryan Beatty, who helped greatly on our hunt. Looking forward to doing it again, hopefully soon.
7370looking_away.jpg

Thanks for reading. KLM

Congrats to your family effort on a great ram! Thanx for sharein the hunt with us!

That's a great report Kelly, complete with excellent photos!

Tell Paul that I'm happy for him. (I've always liked that guy)

Congratulation to all you guys for taking a fine, fine trophy ram. It couldn't happen to nicer guys!

Zeke

You just made my day.

Nothing better after a crappy day at work than reading that.

I love that you guys got some pics while you were out there. That last pic is a STUNNER.
Just beautiful.

Congratulations to your father.
Thanks for posting that up.

72logo.jpg

Nice report Kelly!
Ditto to what Zeke said.
You will have your turn soon enough and it will be an awesome adventure relived. Hopefully your Pops will be able to join you on your quest as well.

Congratulations to great guys.

Congratulations on a fine adventure, and a great Ram.
The pictures and the story made it very enjoyable.
Well done!

Wow congrats to your Dad. Great pics. Best post with pics and story in a long time. Memories for you both.....

))))------->

Older timers with old rams is fabulous. Thanks for sharing!!

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom