My Daughters Youth Elk Hunt in Utah

LuckySucker

My 15 year old daughter drew out on Utah's Youth Elk Hunt starting in a month. I've hunted elk in the past but it's been a few years and I'm just not sure where she can find a good Bull to put on the wall. I would really appreciate some advice. She is beyond excited to shoot a good bull, and I'm excited I get to come along for the ride.

Love passing the hunting legacy on to our youth...

I would get over the idea of ?killing a good bull? and be satisfied with taking any opportunities you might get at ANY elk you see. This hunt isn't as awesome as the DWR likes to make people believe. If you aren't familiar with any general units or you don't have access to private ground, I'd let my kid shoot the first cow, spike or branch bull we come across.

Good luck! This shouldn't be an inches hunt. If that's all you're looking for, odds are, you'll be disappointed at the end of it

Tough hunt unless you have access to private. If you can't get permission on private, but can get horses, the Uinta Mountains, both south and north have a few huntable elk. Pick a drainage, get high, and listen. If my daughter had the tag, I'd have her shoot the first elk she sees inside 100 yrds. But I would also have spent a few weekends on the horses, scouting the North Slope and talking to people on the ground. Don't forget that by the Youth Hunt the elk will have adjusted to the archery guys chasing them since Aug 17.

I don't know the success rate for even filling the tag, but I bet it is under 50%. Have fun, and I hope she gets a bull. The memories will be the real prize. Good luck and let us know how you do.

>September 13 - 21

Please don't shot anything on the 13th. The hunt is September 14- 22. Like said above these are open bull units. Not LE trophy units. Just finding the elk can be tough. Especially with a young youth hunter in tow. My daughter has the same tag. We have been looking at spikes. ? My nephew got a young four point bull a few years ago in the Uintah?s.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-19 AT 11:04PM (MST)[p]I helped my nephew a couple years ago. We honestly didn't know what to expect.
Weather was hot. Bulls were not bugling so we decided to take a chance in an area we had never been to. Public land but we stayed close to private boundaries while using Onxmaps.
It paid off and shot the first bull we saw. Which was a 5x6 chasing closely behind 2 cow elk as they ran across a meadow into some quakies. We quickly closed the distance and I was able to cow call him out of the thick brush for a shot.

There?s been some good advice. Don?t be picky and either try to get access to private or try to call them into public ground.

If you aren't seeing any elk, move. We covered a lot of ground during that hunt. You should plan to do the same.

Message me if you want more details.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

Good infor
Don't hold out for a monster KILL the one she wants.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Thanks to all of you for your insight into the hunt. We will definitely focus on the time together and be happy with whatever we find.
If anyone has any additional ideas we welcome your input also.

I had two of three sons draw this tag. I also helped a hunting buddy with his daughter on this hunt. Every hunt was awesome. Just spending time with a young hunter, experiencing the outdoors and teaching them so many things about hunting, outdoors and the animals, with or without a kill.

Every year was different. Elk, area and weather.

One son had a few close calls with brach antler bulls, but being young was not experienced enough to know what to do at the time it was right. That is what was awesome with his hunt. The experience and learning he took in on that hunt.

My other son missed a good branch antler bull, passed on a spike at 35 yards and filled his tag on an awesome 5x5 bull. Elk were very vocal on his hunt.

Friends duagther's hunt was hot, tough and no elk talk at all. Great time also.

Best advise I can give is be in hunting area a good hour early. Drive around and stop frequently and cow call and bugle. Listen for elk. We found numerous herds of bulls doing this prior to shooting light and then set up on best situation. The tough just hearing them bugle and talk is exciting.

Best of luck, don't stress and just enjoy your time with your daughter. Hopefully this is just one hunting experience she will remember for a lifetime of continued hunting.

26294201412030958121.jpg

Yep two hunts with my sons that I will remember for a lifetime and that my buddies that helped talk about and remember anytime they see my boys.

Sure helped ingrain hunting and make them the hunters they are today.

Both hunts were successful and awesome memories, one with a tag filled and the other not.

How did the hunt turn out? My son and I are headed that way for the youth hunt next month and looking for some good success stories to pass the time and give us some encouragement.

He's long gone, typical first time poster looking for help and then never really contributes or share success stories and forgets about us here until he draws another tag and needs help.

My daughter had the tag last year. She was the first shot heard that morning. A close 40/45 yards shot. This was the biggest bull we could find on public land. Even as I watched the bull in the darkness of the morning before. I had bow hunters pull up and ask. Do you see any bulls ? I had a spotting scope set up. Watched the herd go into the same Cedar trees she shoot him in the next day. But the got there a hour sooner being pushed by five guys on horse back. She had a great time and our plan worked out perfectly.

EF935898-372E-44AC-BD3A-9B9E37943EBB.jpeg

Getting the last few details and stuff ready for my sons elk hunt next month. He is excited and I am pretty nervous. We spent 8 days scouting and have lots of bulls and elk spotted but with 5 weeks to go and a bow season added in there who knows what will happen. We will put the miles in and hope for the best.
Hoping for some luck and straight shooting

My daughter had the tag last year. She was the first shot heard that morning. A close 40/45 yards shot. This was the biggest bull we could find on public land. Even as I watched the bull in the darkness of the morning before. I had bow hunters pull up and ask. Do you see any bulls ? I had a spotting scope set up. Watched the herd go into the same Cedar trees she shoot him in the next day. But the got there a hour sooner being pushed by five guys on horse back. She had a great time and our plan worked out perfectly.

View attachment 11207

Great job, looks like it was a team effort by the looks of the picture. Very cool and appreicate the post, Ill show my son the pic in the morning, will make it hard for him to concentrate with his schoolwork, lol

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom