My Unit 9 Archery Hunt Report

Pruney

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-11 AT 07:09AM (MST)[p]I intended to report in a little earlier than this, but I have been playing catch up since I got back from Unit 9.

Well I did not harvest a bull, but it was a terrific hunt none the less. We certainly could have used a little less weather and was not real happy to see the upper basin on fire when we pulled in since this is the area we had planned to hunt based on pre-season scouting. I had many close encounters, but there are two I will always second guess or be haunted by.

Second Guess: My brother and I had just split up to go different directions to get on a bull bugling 250 to 300 yards away from us. I had gotten about half way across a clearing on my way into some timber for cover when I spotted the bull trotting towards me at about 100 yards in the wide open flat. I was sure he would skirt the pines as every bull I had seen had done up to that point so I chose to not draw until he had made it past me which would give me a 35 yard quartering away shot and hopefully provide a little cover. Unfortunately about half way there, he turned and came straight at me. I could not draw as I had nothing to conceal the movement. He stopped less than 10 yards from me and there was not a thing I could do. I had a 350+ bull at less than 10 yards and did not even get a shot.

Haunt: On the second day of the hunt we saw a monster bull cross the road in front of us at about 10 AM. This is ?The Beast? that Fin Little mentioned. I could not get a shot at him then, but it did keep me in that area the rest of the hunt. I think this bull will score better than 390 and will probably flirt with the F word. Several days later I am about a mile from where he had crossed and I was trying to get between two bulls that seemed like they were going to come together and fight. Instead, they just dropped into their bedding zones and shut up. I decided not to push them to hard and backed out. On my way out I heard another bugle below me that sounded like a good bull. I moved up about 50 yards and set up in the edge of a clearing. Less than 5 minutes later, The Beast showed up with 25 to 30 cows. He fed up the far edge of the flat for several minutes and had just started to move into the trees. I had a decent shooting lane for a 60 yard shot. That is my max comfort range and felt confident with the shot as I had hit a 3 inch group while practicing at that distance the day before. I was able to draw without him or the cows being aware. I let fly and the arrow was tracking absolutely perfect to settle into heart/lung area. I was getting ready to do the happy dance right until a small branch jumped out and redirected my arrow about two inches over his back. I never saw that darn branch. I was crushed and just left the arrow and walked off the hill and got into the truck. I went back and got the arrow a bit later just to be sure there wasn't a hit, but I will be haunted by knowing I was a twig away from a 400 class bull. That's bow hunting.

I had two stalks at two different bulls, 350 and 370ish screwed up by herds of antelope that got between the 100 yards that separated the bulls and me. Two more stalks ruined by deer in the way. Oh, and I passed a 350 bull at 1:30pm on the second day because it did not seem like much of a hunt or story to kill him on the main road to Tusayan on day two and because I had seen The Beast a couple hours earlier. I fear he ?ruint? my judgment.

I saw at least 25 bulls that were 350+ and probably 10 of those were 370+. The rut just never fully kicked in for whatever reasons and it was extremely tough to close less than 100 yards or bring them in any closer. I never saw a bull with a broken tine the entire hunt. Oh, we also saw one very nice buck that would push 190 just a few hundred yards from the Beast.

A couple things I just need to mention. One about ?that guy? and the second was maybe one of the strangest things I have ever seen in the woods. First, to the clown that decided to pass us before sunrise on the one lane dirt road at 45+ mph only to pull over in front of us 300 yards later (not an exaggeration) when he saw his buddy coming the other way,?.. Really? If you did not feel like the largest horses @$$ in the world, there is something very wrong with you. Second, you know you are too close to the GCNP line when you come across Androgynous Pat sitting against a pine tree talking to his/her 3 foot Spiderman doll propped up against another pine for going on four hours.

Lastly, thanks again to CAelknuts for coming out and calling that last morning. If not for one very subtle shift in the breeze?.. who knows? Funny I had to go over 750 miles to unit 9 to meet you and we work 6 blocks from each other. Good luck with all those points. Even without filling my tag this year, I know I would be back on 9 if I had that many points.

Again, it was a great hunt and we definitely made the most of it. I think I logged more hiking miles than when I had the tag on Dutton of few years ago and I never would have guessed that. It would have been nice to score a great bull, but the hunt and spending time with my brothers is mainly why I am there anyway. I guess it will be back to video cameras for the next few years.

Pruney

Sounds like you had a pretty fun hunt from your report. I have had the pleasure of hunting 9 several times, so can relate.

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://www.plateaulightphotography.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

You guys gave it your best effort. Its bowhunting, even on 9 you need things to come together. I think we got reminded, big bulls have the upper hand when they have there witts about em. It was a good time.

Thanks for taking the time to write that up . Its reports like yours why I visit this web site , and help with my research of units .

Totally +1, great post and thanks Pruney for taking the time to write up your hunt. I have 11 NR points for AZ elk and at this point am not sure where I will apply going forward with tough rut hunts becoming more common and the fires, etc. Again, thanks for a great write up, I enjoyed reading about your unit 9 experience.

WP

"My only regret in life is setting my goals too low"

Good report Pruney. I'm sitting here in my easy chair. I blocked out "spider-Man" and the incident with the passing violation from my hard drive. Thinking back now it was some funny stuff. I noticed you forgot to mention the wild cow call that cost you a crack at a terrific bull.

Well I had the part about the overzealous hunter with a cow call in there, but deleted it at the last minute since it was just one of the many "what could possibly go wrong?" events of the hunt. Plus it was just a 350 bull with no clue I was there on course to pass less than 40 yards in front of me with the camera rolling right behind me. I mean really, not like a once in a lifetime opportunity or anything. Hah, good times!

Pruney

Fin Little,

You need to upload that footage. I finally saw the 220 buck. Man what a dandy. Funny how much better he looks when it is not a grainy text message photo from Conch.

Pruney

Great read, Details and more details they always seems to get ya in finding and killing those Big Bull.Sounds like a great time.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Love the report, sounds like a great-great hunt, I've been talking with CAelknut and he said you and your brother have some great knowledge of this unit. I'm putting in with 16 this year, been in Iraq and Afghan since 04 so I'm looking to be in the US and scouting in Aug and to get a bull that makes up for 8 years of no hunting and it sounds like this is the place and Im in. I'm running 6 miles a day and hit the gym daily and have a sharp knife so I'm in shape to run them down if the bow fails, HAHA. I'm just looking for all I can get, hoping to have my dad with me , maybe bugle and run a decoy and then take the pictures, HA. Well thanks again for the report get me excited. Monarch420

MonarchSounds like you were serving our country since 04. If so I hope you get drawn and tag a huge bull. Thanks for your service and good luck. You deserve a great hunt.

Let's get this thread cranking! Only 2 months boys! Anyone been up that way lately. Looks like there has been rain almost every other day up there for the last week. Hope it is reaching the ground.

MY ARIZONA FRIENDS SAY THE MONSOONS HAVE BEEN HITTING THE UNIT 9 AREA A LOT. WATER IS NOW SPREADING OUT TO WHERE NOT EVERY HUNTER WILL BE IN THE SAME GENERAL AREAS (GLAD THERE ARE ONLY 100 TAGS). I LEAVE IN LESS THAN 60 DAYS, ANTLERS COULD BE A TAD SHY THIS YEAR......HOPE NOT .........CANT WAIT.......YD.

Thanks Fin i hope to report in from time to time on the trip. My friend and I have tags and will be driving down from MN. Arriving on the 14th and staying for the duration. Thanks for the report Yukon! Good to to hear ops out the rain. If any thing to quiet the ground for stalking.

I'm so pumped!

Big Tom, YD,

Who all on here have non-resident tags?

Me and my partner.
Big Tom and his partner.
Yukondall.
Monarch420 ?

Thats 6 of the 10,,,anybody else?

Thanks for the reports, I to have been seeing a lot of storm cells going over the area.

Good Luck to us all and can't wait.

Barry

Wow. 6 of 10 are here on MM. Might be one or two that mentioned a tag over on BS. Should be a great hunt! I should get Pruney and I'll fin to come to camp and show me how it's done!

Looking at the draw odds on Arizona game/fish website it appears the 20% bonus pass went to hunters with 13 or more points.
How do you determine who is a resident and nonres. Was trying to see if the nonres 10% cap was filled by the hunters with 16 and 17 pts. for 2013.

After drawing in 2009 I'm back at 6 pts (hunter ed and loyalty pts) and can't decide if I should go after a unit 9 archery tag again or go for something a bit easier to draw. I have a buddy with 9 pts and he's happy to let me apply with him. If I'm not mistaken this would give us 8 points since they average up. With his points we could possibly draw in 5 to 7 years. If I knew for a fact that I could draw in 10 years I'd hold off for one last chance for a unit 9 tag.

Look at the number of applicants that didn't draw with 14 and 15 and 16 points. From that one could assume that those are non residents

Here are the draw numbers from the 2013 unit 9 archery bull elk. There looks like a large group of people in the 13,14, and 15 point range that may cause a lot of point creep if they stick with applying for the unit 9 archery hunt.

25112013_unit_9.jpg

Big Tom,

You were right,,,,There is a guy on BS named Norseman from Minn. that drew with his partner, so that is 8 of the tags accounted for. Where are you from?

Lambo, Bwht4x4,

Can't help you with the draw question as we were putting in as a 3 man group for several years and just bonus points when the economy dropped. It varys with the year and how many people like us that were just accumulating points. We split up this year and Our third man out has 13 points and did not draw but last year there were a couple that had 12 that did draw. Hope this helps.

BH

It would appear that the NR 10% cap was filled by hunters with 16 and 17 pts because no one drew with 15pts. Also everyone with 15pts was a NR.( If I use BigTom's method of determining res from nres..). I'm not sure a NR with 11pts. will ever get his name in the hat even if he /she waits another 10 yrs. Tuff draw for NR archery hunters!!

BigTom,

He may have a scrap on his hands,,I bet Bud Light Lime is a rare commodity in those remote parts unless of course he is trading big elk locations for them.

Is Norseman you on the BS site? To funny I guess were back to 6.

BH

Thanks for the info guys. I was trying to figure if I had a chance at drawing this tag in the next 5 years but with 11NR pts. I would have 0 chance. Maybe I look to unit 10 instead.

Bwht4x4, Did you kill a bull in 2009 if you don't mind me asking?

>Thanks for the info guys. I
>was trying to figure if
>I had a chance at
>drawing this tag in the
>next 5 years but with
>11NR pts. I would have
>0 chance. Maybe I look
>to unit 10 instead.
>
>
>Bwht4x4, Did you kill a bull
>in 2009 if you don't
>mind me asking?

Do you have the loyalty point and hunter ed point? If you don't get those ASAP and stick it out for unit 9.

My buddy and I drew in 2009 as a party. We went together without guides and total DIY. We both killed 330-335 bulls on the 6th and the 8th day of the hunt. I was shocked at how little rut activity there was that year. We heard some bugling in the mornings, but not very much at all. We both shot ours over water. PM me your email address and I'll shoot you a couple of picts and some additional info if you'd like.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom