MY WY LOPE!!!

redfrog

After getting some bad news from a freind about the weather in the unit we were going to be hunting I was not sure I wanted to go. But it being the only weekend I could go out I had to try. I headed out around 11 on friday morning and made it to the hunting unit around 4:30 in the afternoon. It was snowing and visabliity was low. I saw one small goupe about 600 yds away and they took off. I know at that point this was not going to be easy. The next morning I got up early hoping to be there in the area before light. Well thanks to the snow I80 Was shut down. They did not get it opened back up until 11:00 So much for the early morning. Well I finaly made it and got about a a mile or two inside the unit when I looked up back in a small draw coming off the ridge. There at the bottom was about 20 animals I put the spotting scope up and saw two good size buck. I got a plan of action put together and took off. I walk up the bottom of a draw and made my way to the top of a small hill hoping they were not going to be to far. When I peaked over they they were 500 plus yrds still with no way for me to get any closer. I waited and watched them for about and 30 min. the bigger buck chased all the smaller ones away and his does all bedded up. There he stood broad side 510 yrds away. I thought its now or never. It took several min. to get a good rest made. I had spent many hours at the range prior to going out. Although I not shot that far at the range I new everything else was on and I had a good chance at making this shot. I settled in and pulled the trigger and that was it. The lope hit the gound. I could not belive it. All the hard work had payed of. IT took about 10 min. to get to him in the 6 inches of snow and a few hours to get him taken care of. I got him packed up and back to the burben just in time before the next round of storms hit. When I got up the next morning WY was cover in snow and it was one heck of a drive home but was well worth the trip.

For those Who are going to ask he is 73 :)

antelope1.jpg

antelope2.jpg

Great Story redfrog, Persistance paid off. Thanks for posting the pictures. Congrats!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom