Nebo or Dutton?

Nebo Early or Dutton Early?

• Nebo Early

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Dutton Early

Votes: 21 58.3%

• Total voters

BearCub

Looking to get some advice and opinions from those that have had LE Nebo Elk or LE Dutton Elk tags over the last few years. My dad has a chance of drawing either of these tags. We have spent time on both units, have horses, and prefer getting away from crowds. We are looking at the early rifle hunt. A few questions...

1. How many 360+ bulls did you see scouting or during your hunt? What's the typical size of bull taken on the early rifle?
2. Did you deal with lots of pressure from guides/outfitters during your hunt?
3. Were you satisfied with your hunt as far as the quality of bulls?
4. Would you recommend either of these units?

Thank you in advance for those willing to share their thoughts and opinions. I am not asking for honey hole areas, just looking for your overall opinions of each unit. If you are willing to share photos, that'd be awesome. PM's are welcome.

Most average hunters don't know what a 360 elk looks like of course there's probably some on both but unless your asking guides that hunt the unit I don't think you'll get a usable answer. Plus who the hell wants to answer this if they want to draw this. I know the answer to one of the units but I'm going to say don't put in for either when's there's 127 different 360 bulls on the Pauns.

Go down to each unit during the hunt dates and see for yourself animal quality and terrain. Not everyone hunts for the same reasons. You know better than anyone what you want to take and the type of terrain you like to hunt. Go have fun and don’t worry about inches.

Things have really changed the past 10 to 15 years before they started lower age class objectives and raising tag quotas. I remember on this forum when guys were complaining because bull to cow ratios were so out of whack and they needed to kill more of the mature bulls. Those were the golden days for sure!

It wasn't to uncommon at that time to see multiple 360 bulls in a number of top tier units for those willing to work but I'd say those days are pretty much over in even the premier units. If you were fortunate to hunt elk back in those years you know how special it was!

What's really sad is Colo is headed in that same exact direction with it's mule deer. Pretty sad to sit back and watch it happen!

Things have really changed the past 10 to 15 years before they started lower age class objectives and raising tag quotas. I remember on this forum when guys were complaining because bull to cow ratios were so out of whack and they needed to kill more of the mature bulls. Those were the golden days for sure!

If those were the golden days, then we are living in the golden days!
It wasn't to uncommon at that time to see multiple 360 bulls in a number of top tier units for those willing to work but I'd say those days are pretty much over in even the premier units. If you were fortunate to hunt elk back in those years you know how special it was!

Plenty of 360+ bulls in the top units in Utah. In fact, most of the units, even those not considered “top tier,” produce a number of these bulls.

To the OP- which unit will be easier for you to scout? That’s the one I’d pick. I’ve heard the Nebo is making a nice little comeback, but I have no personal knowledge of this. I don’t think you’ll have a bad experience on either.

Dutton is your unit. If you have time to dedicate to this tag and you’re not afraid of hard arduous hunting then 360 is a great goal.

There might be an exception or two on a yearly basis, but there are multiple 360+ bulls taken on all LE elk units every year. A couple of units are better now than they’ve ever been. You just won’t see the pictures on the web.

Dutton is more suitable for a horse hunt. There are a few remote areas on the Nebo, but most can be glassed at a distance from roads. Some of the biggest bulls to come from the Nebo the last few years were on the Sanpitch side, which is its own unit this year. There are more named bulls on the Dutton;).

Dutton is more suitable for a horse hunt. There are a few remote areas on the Nebo, but most can be glassed at a distance from roads. Some of the biggest bulls to come from the Nebo the last few years were on the Sanpitch side, which is its own unit this year. There are more named bulls on the Dutton;).
I haven't heard there will be a new LE unit on the sanpitch side. This is the 2023 map and Sanpitch Mountains are included in the Nebo unit still...

1676319916137.png

I haven't heard there will be a new LE unit on the sanpitch side. This is the 2023 map and Sanpitch Mountains are included in the Nebo unit still...

View attachment 102992
Yeah you're right. I was going with a rumor that was going around. The guide book says Central Mtns, Nebo/San Pitch Mtns (new). Not sure what's new about it other than the number.

Might want to double check your claim. It’s not very accurate.

Yeah you're right. I was going with a rumor that was going around. The guide book says Central Mtns, Nebo/San Pitch Mtns (new). Not sure what's new about it other than the number.
The new part of it, is it no longer includes the Moroni hills. That portion of the old Nebo unit is now an any bull unit.

I hunted cow elk in the Nebo this past year. That is some extremely steep valleys to hunt in. I saw elk in the valleys off the road but to bring an elk out of there. You had better eat your Wheatees. If I was 15 years younger I would dive off. Good luck

Another thing you need to realize is that for both units, and all elk units for that matter, you may think you are in the running for a tags, but tag numbers are not staying as they are for this year as they were for last year. The allocation for both units will only have two-three tags for the early rifle 5 day "rut" hunt since the allocation of tags for the "rut" hunt is only 10% of the allocated rifle tags. If you add all the rifle tags early, mid, late together and take out the 10% there might be 2-3 more per hunt but the odds for any of the rifle "rut" hunts are going to dramatically increase this year. I know they are talking of increasing tag numbers but in the realm of an entire unit you are still looking at only a small increase in the "rut" hunts.

Thank you to those that provided useful information on the thread and through PM. I know the draw odds are going to be tough to predict this year with the new changes. We are waiting on the proposed tag numbers before ultimately deciding what season and unit to put in for. This year might end up being another scouting year if we don’t draw. I’m curious to see if if some individuals decide to hunt the muzzleloader hunt instead of the early rifle due to the early rifle being reduced to 5 days.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom