need Gillette, WY, taxidermist recommendation

alsatian

Can anyone recommend a taxidermist in Gillette, Wyoming? My son and I will be going on our first pronghorn hunt in about 10 days. While we aren't expecting to bag animals with large horns, if my son wants to mount his buck's head I'm going to consider it. This being the case, I would need to have a local taxidermist and maybe discuss what to provide him so he can make a good mount.

I was just in Gillette this past weekend. I tagged a goat and a muley, I could post the pic's if I had any idea how.:) I wanted a European mount done of the muley and called Pronghorn Taxidermy and Chaney Taxidermy, but I know there are a few others out there. Pronghorn wanted $275 (which I thought was high) and Chaney wanted $150. I believe Chaney charges $385 for shoulder mounts for deer and antelope. Sorry I don't have the numbers handy, but they are in the phone book.
Jerry (I think that's his name) Chaney is a super nice guy. He's a school teacher who does taxidermy on the side out of his house. I didn't look closely at his mounts, but they looked "ok". I'm kind of fussy on the little details with my mounts (eyes, nose, etc.). I figured he was alright for a European, but I took my goat back home to have my taxidermist do a shoulder mount.
I hope this helps. Good luck on your hunt, there were antelope EVERYWHERE out there. Saw them in yards right in Gillette, dead along the streets along the edge of town. Depending on your area, (I was on the south edge of town) it's not a matter of IF you will get one, but which one do you want to shoot. Have fun!
Sorry this is so long.

Lien2

Congratulations on your goat. I'm cheered to hear there are lots of pronghorn around: this was something I was anxious about, being a first time pronghorn hunter. I will call Chaney. Since we are not anticipating a trophy buck, we are not too particular about the mount. We want a decent mount, but frankly are not sophisticated consumers of the taxidermist's art, since this would be our first mounted head.

Thanks for the congrats it's a lot of fun. You picked a great location for your first antelope hunt. Let me know how you do.

Lien2

I spoke with Chaney in Gillette last night over the phone. If we decide to get a mount, he'll be our man. As I said, I am not a sophisticated consumer of taxidermy. He sounded like he was experienced and knew what he was doing and that is good enough for me for now. He was very pleasant and helpful, providing some advice on handling our meat which I found helpful.

Thanks for the advice.

crazy,

Check your e-mail.
Are you Coues hunting this year?
Thanks for posting the pics!

Lien2

Here's Lien2's pix

MMbuck.jpg

I'll be archery hunting Nmfor the Grey Ghost in January. :)

Nice bucks :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom