Need new areas to check out!

505Hunter

Hey guys,
Well, we are getting tired of going to the same areas each year and not seeing much or anything at all. So, I need some advice or suggestions from you guys.
We primarily hunt deer and elk. We always go to Mt. Taylor for elk and have been to the Gila for deer. Where in New Mexico is a good unit that is supplied with a good herd count for deer and elk? They don't have to be in the same unit, but we are looking for a new area to help increase our odds. So what do y'all say? Which units do y'all like?

-505Hunter

Most of the north central units have a fair number of elk.
As for Deer....Good Luck the NMDGF has allowed them to become almost extinct.There is unit 2 but very difficult to draw and most deer there are from Colorado.Very sad what has happened to OUR deer
herds, but anymore its all about money and political correctness.Deer always finish last.

CC

for all your needs just go to unit 19. Scout it long and hard in the off season and as often as you can. Don't worry about people trying to run you off. ITs all 100% taxpayer owned land so you can have free run of the place anytime you want. its an awesome place to hunt.

Cosmiccowboy is right about our deer herds here in NM. If it was not for CO deer, the 2 units would be shot out also.

Deer herd in unit 34 is on life support and they are still pumping a couple thousand tags into it.

Some of these units need to be closed to deer hunting before there is nothing left.

I've heard unit 15 was the best elk unit in New Mexico, but we were there for our deer hunt and barely saw any, only 2 cows 4 miles away! Elk, we always see them at Mt. Taylor but never during hunting season. We saw a bunch down on unit 23 I wanna say? It was on the Gila. Herds of 200+. It's quite frustrating going out and seeing everyone around you have a carcass in the tree and you're sitting there like umm.... What am I doing wrong? Guess that's just our luck. Where would you guys prefer?

I'm not exactly sure if it was 23 or not I'd have to look at the proclamation , somewhere over there though near beaver head.

That might be where it was, like I said I don't remember haha but we saw every animal except what we were looking for. elk, antelope, turkey, pigs, you name it

That is why it is called "hunting!"

I haven't been on Taylor in 20+ years, but it is where I first started chasing elk. I vividly remember going up in the summer and seeing hundreds of elk on every trip and then when I went up with tag in hand hardly seeing anything. That's when I began to figure out that you have to learn where they go when pressured. On Taylor, that often meant private land and down in the nasty canyons. Everywhere I've hunted its meant away from the roads and places people can and/or do take 4wheelers. It isn't always the farthest in or the longest hike either.

Lots of good units for elk in NM. However, in lots of good and even great units like 15, if you don't figure out where they go when the hunting camps, guys bugling from 4wheelers, etc. show up then you can spend many days without seeing squat. However, when you start finding the pockets that get overlooked, you will start finding elk. As for the Deer . . . Well, back in the early 90's I could have pointed you to some great spots. However, I moved away and from what I have heard and seen when I get lucky and draw an elk tag, they are few and far between.

Pick a unit, learn it well, then learn it some more and you will start seeing, hearing and even possibly killing a few elk. The camps you see with animals hanging have either learned that or been very lucky.

BTW, In my opinion anyone who posts a "great unit" on a board like this is either 1) not very smart, 2) done with hunting NM, or 3) posting a unit different than their favorite unit in hopes of steering you (and others) away from the few precious tags he is competing for.

Good luck. I assume you are a resident so enjoy what NM has for you while you can. As a former resident who will likely never draw a tag again for units I learned well and hunted hard in the 90s, I envy your opportunities.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom