Nevada 111-115 Elk Tag

bobby7321

Got lucky and drew the muzzleloader tag (Oct 22- Nov 5)

Looking for general advice anyone is willing to give. I did get very lucky and also drew a sheep tag. So I think I'll be going DIY for the elk hunt and scouting time is probably going to go more to the sheep tag.

I'm also interested in talking to anyone who drew the archery tag and maybe get in touch after the archery season in case they would like to share some info. If you drew any tag after my hunt I would do the same and offer info to those who could use it. Feel free to send me a PM here with your email address.

In addition to that, any locals offer pack out services for the area? I'd probably be going solo and would like to have some options in case I get lucky way back in there.

thank you!
Bobby

You might send Marley on here a PM if you have specific questions. He killed a helluva bull there last year.

I would give priority to the Elk Hunt over at the Sheep Hunt if it was me.
In my opinion you have a much better elk unit than you do a sheep unit.
Either way congratulations on the tags you are definitely one lucky dude.

I didn't mean to sound like I was knocking 211 as a good sheep unit. I actually applied for it as well. I just meant that I think this will be an exceptional year for big Bulls in the Ely area.
Congratulations again on both the tags and I wish you the best of luck.

That's the way I took it :) No worries. I definitely need to do what I can to take full advantage of both tags. I've got a few messages out to hunters and also some outfitters and go from there. Thank you

A Desert Bighorn Sheep tag has a value arguably of $50K+. I would NEVER let an elk tag take precedence over a once in a lifetime tag.
Hunt it like it will be your last, as it probably will. JMO.

either tag may never happen again,but you may ask your self what will be the easiest to get a high success sheep or a potential 400 class bull.Im with buck horn, the elk tags the best one.

>either tag may never happen again,but
>you may ask your self
>what will be the easiest
>to get a high success
>sheep or a potential 400
>class bull.Im with buck horn,
>the elk tags the best
>one.

+1

Ok ok, you guys convinced me to take full advantage. Talked to Trevor at Bull Ridge and agreed to have them guide me during the hunt. Looking forward to hunting with some local pros.

Talking to sheep outfitters now.

From everything I have heard they are a great outfit you should have an Awesome Hunt this year.
Good luck

Congratulations on getting Bull Ridge to guide you.I used them back when I drew my elk tag in 2006. Trevor was my guide and we hunted for 10 days and found and killed a 381 Bull.
I rented a motel room in Ely and we drove out and hunted from town every day. I'm sure they still hunt that country the same way. Be sure you talk to them about that.
Bull Ridge has always been a first class operation. Nobody knows more about Elk hunting and where to find them than they do.

He said the same thing to me. I mentioned camping out but was told that it makes more sense to stay in town. So that is the plan. Looks like they've been taking great bulls there every year. Very excited for October to come around!

It won't be the fantasy Elk hunting where we dream of riding horses up through beautiful Forest with Aspen lined Meadows along a babbling stream.
Plan on getting very little sleep plan on getting many hours of windshield time but most importantly plan on getting an opportunity to kill a monster Bull.
Plan on being in the best physical condition as possible. When you do finally spot a Bull you want to go after you are most likely going to be in for one heck of a hike.

thanks for the advice. I'm in decent shape now and plan on really ramping it up for the hunts this fall. I can see that the bulls tend to be up pretty high during this hunt so I'll try and be ready. thanks again

7321..........been there 5 times with buddys that had tags, plus my own. Good call you did. And good luck!

End of story. Bull Ridge is the sh***!! They killed some giants last year. My budy Al killed a 420 bull last year. Your all set brother!

Sheep are easy to find and kill. Success rates are almost 100%. Impossible to draw though. Imo

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom