Nevada antelope down!

dillon

Very Active Member
I decided to leave home on Thursday for my Nevada pronghorn antelope hunt. I was accompanied by my brother-in-law who had never been hunting and my four year old daughter. On Thursday evening we saw three bucks on my unit. We named the biggest buck M1. Friday we covered just shy of 300 miles looking for antelope. The vast majority of the antelope were located near our camp. We did find one monster buck that we named M2 on the ET Highway just west of Rachel, but he was on the wrong side of the highway and was the only antelope we saw that low on the unit.

Opening day we decided to go about five miles north of our camp and try to find M1. We left camp when it was legal to hunt and drove for about 10 minutes before we saw two antelope cross the dirt road on a dead sprint. Guess who it was? M1! He was making a dust trail straight out through an open flat. I got setup on my bipod, took a shot, and missed. He slowed down and I was able to take a second shot as he switched directions about 300 yards away. M1 was down! Unfortunately, I did shoot him in the butt and we didn't get the kill shot on video. I did get some good footage from the scouting portion of the hunt and after the shot.

This was my first antelope hunt and my first antelope. His horns are 14 1/2 and 15 inches long, he has 6 inch bases, and 5 inch prongs. I rough scored him at 78 inches. I am going to do a European mount. I will post photos on my HAC thread in a few days (http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID60/10.html#.VdqM_fZViko).

Special thanks to Wiszard! Without his maps and advice I would still be lost.

Great video. Loved the story and especially when your son told on you for shooting him in the but, lol. Thanks for sharing. fatrooster

Nice Goat! Just wondering but if you saw that bigger goat down towards Rachel you could've hunted the other side of the highway as that unit is you can hunt with that tag.

NvNative

The bigger buck was more than 30 minutes from Rachel. He was spending his time on the other unit more than on mine. He was not on 245. I checked the maps before I decided to go after the one I shot. I don't regret the buck I shot. I really only had one day to hunt and it was great. My daughter had a blast.

Nice buck and video!!! What camera did you use? I bought an little Canon camcorder this year and used it in AK, it was a pretty frustrating to use the LCD viewfinder outside....

Former 31 year resident of NV. Pining for the good ol' days.

I use a Panasonic TM80 if I remember correctly. It is tiny and is easy to carry on my belt because it is about the same size as my rangefinder. It has a 42x optical zoom. I believe you should put more money into a really good tripod than into a better camera. I usually use my Cannon T3 for up close videos.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom