Nevada Antelope?

mlycrzy LOL
Can I at least answer with saying the north west part of the state without being killed?

I know in the past 33 was and is a sought after tag, 15 is popular, but the Sheldon hey days seem to be changing, I have 15 points and just want to make the most of them, I've heard that 251 is a sleeper, and after reading the info mlycrzy posted it looks like 66 is a decent choice, but the northwest seems to be the most popular areas!

I had a tag in 2012 and my brother in 2013. Both had the same tag he killed a better buck than I he also had time to scout. He got the best buck he scouted not really the best buck available but the best he saw.

Maybe historically the northwestern units are better. But to me hunting pronghorn is very much about seizing an opportunity so you need to know what is available for harvest so if you can scout an area more than another go with that

I concur. Nevada antelope hunting is about finding a great buck, then killing him opening day. Most "hunting" should be before the season. And realize that if that buck was easy to find, you'll have competition.

I can say first hand that 33 has gone downhill the last few years due mostly to drought conditions up there. Saw plenty of animals but nothing big in a week of hunting all over the unit.

Good antelope in a lot of units though. Just need some more moisture to help with horn growth.

If you take that horn length data and cross reference with the draw odds data, you will come up with some surprising results. My wife and I drew two different units with only 5 points as non-residents that had great potential.

They are also relying on hunters to measure the horn length. Sorry but you only need to look at the number of reported 17"+ antelope to see the measurements are far from reliable.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-14 AT 10:01PM (MST)[p]Interesting question...

I drew 015 last year with 16 points. I've hunted in 015 a number of times over the years and know it well. After 4 days of scouting, I turned my tag back in and retained my points. Historically, that unit has held a few special bucks, but this past year it was bad. A friend of mine did find a buck he estimated at 89-90" but it was alone in a very remote rugged area and he went weeks between sightings (he was scouting all summer for a super mule deer, and ate his tag). Between drought, fire and predation, that unit has gone way down hill, IMO. The Rush Fire did tremendous damage to this unit in 2012.

With my 16 points, I'm just applying for a bonus point this year. I don't think the odds of killing a giant buck will be very good with the magnitude of the drought we've had. When I do apply again, it may be in 015, but will probably be in a different unit that I believe has better big buck potential. It probably will not by in 033 either.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom