NEW Ariz. 2005 Regs Info

Lv2hnt

Very Active Member
I know everyone's been wondering how Ariz. hunting will be handled for this Fall. FYI, here's the latest:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Fall 2005 big game draw changes (Arizona)

Applying for a hunt permit-tag in this fall's draw? Significant changes have been made to the process this year:

The online application process has been suspended. For the fall 2005 draw, a manual system with paper applications is the only way to apply.

To apply: 1) fill out a paper application. 2) include a check, cashier's check or money order payable to the Arizona Game and Fish Department for all applicable license, hunt permit-tag and application fees. 3) mail or deliver to any department office by 7 p.m. (MST), June 14. Note: The department must receive completed paper applications by the deadline; postmarks don't count.

Inside tip: On deadline day all Arizona Game and Fish offices will be inundated with people who waited until the last minute. Save time: apply early. If you apply by May 27, the department will review your application and attempt to contact you if any errors are found.

Pick up the new regulations and hunt draw permit applications at department offices, at license dealers or download them from the department's Web site. Regulations and applications will be available first from azgfd.gov in downloadable PDF format on May 2. Hard copies will be available at all department offices and license dealers around May 20. Throw away any old applications. Due to process changes they are no good. The new applications are yellow; the old ones are white.

All applicants must buy a hunting license. In the past, applicants could ask that a license be issued only if they were drawn. This year, all applicants must have a hunting license to be eligible for the draw. Hunters who don't already have a license can apply for one on the hunt permit application form. If you choose to apply for a license at the time of application, you must include the license fee with each application you make. However, only one license will be issued and the other license fees will be refunded.

Buying a license to enter the draw? For twice the fun, buy a combination hunting-fishing license. Take advantage of Arizona's wettest winter in a decade - fish Arizona!

Hunt permit-tag fees must be paid up front. All application fees, hunt permit-tag fees, and license fees (if applying for a license at time of application) must be included with the application. Hunt permit-tag fees will be refunded if the applicant is unsuccessful in the draw. A bonus point may be purchased for the cost of the license (if needed) and for the application fee only, instead of paying the entire tag fee.

A loyalty bonus point has been created. A single loyalty bonus point will be awarded for people who buy a license and apply for big game hunts for five consecutive years. The point is genus specific and will be retained as long as the hunter continues to apply each calendar year for that genus. The starting year for record keeping purposes is 2001. So, anyone who applies for a genus, and has applied for that same genus every year beginning in 2001, will earn a loyalty bonus point for that genus in this drawing. A proposed conservation bonus point that hunters can earn for volunteer effort is in the rulemaking process and will not be in place for the fall 2005 draw.

The bonus point pass percentage is higher. The bonus point pass percentage has increased from 10 to 20 percent, meaning that 20 percent of tags will be set aside for applicants with the highest number of bonus points.

A set-aside percentage of bighorn sheep hunt permits for nonresidents has been created. Fifteen percent of the total available bighorn sheep hunt permit-tags in any calendar year will be set aside for nonresidents.

Eager to hear draw results? By July 29, customers will be able to get draw results through azgfd.gov and by telephone at (602) 942-3000. Permits will be mailed to successful applicants in late July.

Question, On the loyalty point, if you have applied for say 7 years and were drawn in the 5th year do you still get the point if you have applied since being drawn?

Why does Arizona not send regs and proclamation to non-residents if they have applied previously? The only state that does not do this. With these new changes I guess I will have to call them and pay for the regs and proclamation just to put in again this year.

Warbirdum, The regs and applications will be online and you can get the information on your computer earlier than the printed items will be made avialable to the public. I believe the information and dates is on the above post. If not you can go to the AZG&F website and the information on the 2005 hunts and time tables is there.

Thanks for the information on regs. Can a guy get any draw odds this year that will be worth looking at? I have 8 points elk and 7 deer.After USO and the court ruling I dont know if it would be worth looking at odds if things will be changed again this year anyway or not.Should and could be a great year with the much needed moisture for antler growth if a guy was to get lucky and draw a high coveted tag.

I think things are going to be just fine, I'm encouraged by the suspension/removal of the online application process, I never did like it.
M WAITE, AZ.

Salmon, I'm not certain I completely understand your question, but here's my interpretation of the LP system as it pertains to your citation. The fact that you have applied for 7 years, but were drawn in the 5th year really doesn't account for anything. Once you get drawn you would loose all BP (with the exception of your lifetime bp if you have one) you would also loose your loyalty point, so the following year you would be back at ground zero. Since you were drawn a couple of years ago (I assume '03) you wouldn't get your 1st LP until 2008. I hope this answers your question.

Keith

well he would'nt go to zero right, with his lifetime bp he would just be at 1, then each of the next years he did not draw he would gain another, 2, 3, 4, etc- right ??
M WAITE, AZ.

Salmon-Once you earn a loyalty point the only way to lose that point is to stop putting in for that species. Example-I have 5points for elk,1 education point, and for this years draw 1 loyalty point, Total 7 bonus points. If I draw this year and continue to put in next year. I will retain my loyalty point. I spoke to Azgfd today and asked this same question.

if you draw, the next hunt you'll have 2 bonus points, the 1 lifetime/hunters education, and the one loyalty= 2.
M WAITE, AZ.

I just spoke with one of the rules underwriters for the AZGFD and he verified the loyalty bonus point is awarded for five consecutive years of applying regardless of wether you drew or not. NICE

Right- I was only trying to point out that you will not lose your loyalty point as long as you keep putting in. 1+1=2 Thx

no worries, we need all the help we can get !! I would so much rather have ANY extra help from anywhere, 1 lifetime bonus for the safety course was very cool, now the 1 loyalty point to add in the mix, just for doing what were all going to do anyway= apply ! heck 2 extra chances to get a tag in the draw is great, considering all the new hoopla with the nonresidents anyway
M WAITE, AZ.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom