New mexico Unit #30 Please HELP

coon007

hello all
I'am new here and to hunting mule deer, this year I got a tag for unit #30 in southern New Mexico during muzzleloader season and need a little help. I don't know where to start hunting or which location is best in unit 30. Iam not looking for trohpys just to have a good time and try to see some bucks.what would be the best place for entering public lands.
thanks in advance.
George

I have hunted that unit many times. I think the lower elevations hold more deer, but make for longer shots. With a muzzleloader, especially an old timey one as required in that unit, I think you should hunt on top. There you will find fairly dense pinon juniper forest thereby allowing you to stalk within muzzy range.

Stay within a mile of water.

Thanks for the info that should be a great help. what general area of unit 30 would you hunt.
thanks again
george

Well, hunt in the National Forest on top of the Guadalupe Mountains. Get a map that shows all the raods and where the water tanks are. I think most hunters concentrate along the West rim, but I think the entirety of the Guadalupe Mountains is pretty good. Again, stay near water.

I would stay away from the Brokeoff Mountains which are in the Southwestern part of the unit. There was a discussion recently about hunting them with many saying it's a great place, but my experience has been poor there recently. Too many posted access roads.

I never hesitate to shoot a forkhorn in Unit 30. I'm sure many will excoriate me for this attitude, but I like meat in the freezer. Don't expect many big ones.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom