New Rifle

Hans

I need some advice, insight and just help deciding on a new rifle. I do have a Remington 700 adl in 30.06 and a Browning 300 wsm. But after shooting a 6.5 prc I just loved it, now the decision portion is what brand. I have looked at the Savage 110 ultralite and it shouldered well for me, now being a shorter fella ( I say 5'6") but realy just under. What are your ideas or suggestions for me if any? Maybe I just said a bunch of jibberish

Echo comment about 7mm PRC, bought one last year and absolutely love it. Shoots like the 6.5, just a little more giddie up.

Agreed, the 6.5 PRC is a great round, but the 7 PRC is better all around with the cost of ammo still being comparable.

I need some advice, insight and just help deciding on a new rifle. I do have a Remington 700 adl in 30.06 and a Browning 300 wsm. But after shooting a 6.5 prc I just loved it, now the decision portion is what brand. I have looked at the Savage 110 ultralite and it shouldered well for me, now being a shorter fella ( I say 5'6") but realy just under. What are your ideas or suggestions for me if any? Maybe I just said a bunch of jibberish
I have the 110 6.5 ultralite. I like it but my gun seems to have one problem. When shooting at the range and after the barrel heats up, the bolt and casings seem to stick and are hard to chamber. I don't have that problem in the first 2 or 3 shots.

The 7PRC has a lot more recoil than the 6.5.
I disagree. I’ve been a 270 guy for years. That’s 17 lbs recoil. The 7 PRC is 27 lbs. With the muzzle brake and recoil pad on my Ruger is not even noticeable. Just came back from Colorado. Shot 2 boxes at range on 2 visits before that trip. Not a big deal I promise. That was the 175 Hornady ELDX.

Be cautious on the savage, they are great rifles, very accurate, BUT the actions are very long. You will need to put a rail on it and for a smaller framed person it can be difficult to get the proper eye relief. Weatherby rifles are the same.

Well How Many Shots Does It take Ridge?

A SMART-AZZ Comment Back At You!:D

I have the 110 6.5 ultralite. I like it but my gun seems to have one problem. When shooting at the range and after the barrel heats up, the bolt and casings seem to stick and are hard to chamber. I don't have that problem in the first 2 or 3 shots.

Be cautious on the savage, they are great rifles, very accurate, BUT the actions are very long. You will need to put a rail on it and for a smaller framed person it can be difficult to get the proper eye relief. Weatherby rifles are the same.
Sloppy is what I call mine. Not a big fan even thought it is accurate.

Take a look at the Sauer
Bought one for my daughter and the gun shoots lights out. 6.5 PRC is a great round and shoots factory ammo sub MOA

IMG_8714.jpeg

Do you love how your other guns feel? If yes, I’m guessing you can at least get the Browning in 6.5 PRC in the same model.

I know you said you want 6.5, but I’ll echo those saying take a look at the 7mm PRC. I like a little bigger bullet for elk. That is one fine cartridge! The 6.5 PRC ain’t bad either though. I killed a cow elk last year with one. But if it were me, I’d be going up to 7.

Last edited:
Ridge, would I be wrong if I went with a creedmore rather than the PRC?

Still not sure why you would not look at the 7mm PRC. It is a better cartridge period for western game than either of the 6.5's.
My 2 cents. Good luck on your decision.

Still not sure why you would not look at the 7mm PRC. It is a better cartridge period for western game than either of the 6.5's.
My 2 cents. Good luck on your decision.
He already has a 300 wsm. I think he wants to go smaller and something with less recoil. That's what I did, I already have a 30-06 and 7mm rem. mag. The 6.5 prc is like dropping down to a 270 but better ballistics and less recoil.

He already has a 300 wsm. I think he wants to go smaller and something with less recoil. That's what I did, I already have a 30-06 and 7mm rem. mag. The 6.5 prc is like dropping down to a 270 but better ballistics and less recoil.
Roger that I did not know that. In that case that makes total sense. Sorry Hans if I missed that sir.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite 6.5 Creedmoor, it’s an extremely soft recoil. My son has the same rifle in a 270. All the 270 I have ever shot had a distinctive recoil. He added a noise reducer can to it and it tamed the recoil considerably.

So…… a can might help in that regard.
Just that it's light, so a little more felt recoil. But the actions and barrels are solid.

Boy that Tika has a smooth action, I really like it. Any cons on the Tika?

Bought a tikka T3x superlite stainless a couple years ago in 6.5 CM, dont plan on using anything else anytime soon for elk/deer. body count so far is an elk and mule deer last year, mule deer this year and to be determinded elk got a 4th season elk tag for this week. You wont regret the tikka.

I'm actually made the decision to get a Tikka t3x Roughtech. In a 6.5 PRC. Going to top it with Vortex scope.
nice, I like how those roughtechs look!! I also run a vortex on mine. Highly reccommend solid copper projectiles with the 6.5. Solid copper and the 6.5 cal were made for each other. I like Nosler Etips, started with Barnes TTSX a few years back. Turns the 6.5 cal into a super elk killer. Run em thru the entire body brisket to butt, no fragmentation, no lead smear, no tracking.

I got family who's grandpa bought them guns years ago.

300wsm
270wsm

It doesn't look like the CM will disappear.

But I'm nervous about investing into the PRC. Are they going to be the wsm in 10 years?

Boy that Tika has a smooth action, I really like it. Any cons on the Tika?
Zero cons on the tikka… best factory gun on the market, followed probably by sauer. I have owned a bunch of different manufacturers, even some “semi” custom’s. Tikka, sakos, sauers are lights out shooters probably 98% of them. Current hunting rifle is a CA ridgeline, but the fit and finish is better on my tikka, my CA is just stupid light…

Bought a tikka T3x superlite stainless a couple years ago in 6.5 CM, dont plan on using anything else anytime soon for elk/deer. body count so far is an elk and mule deer last year, mule deer this year and to be determinded elk got a 4th season elk tag for this week. You wont regret the tikka.
I bought the same exact rifle, the fluted barrel model.
Killed multiple Deer, my Bear, and my Antelope.
Killed them flat out.
Lost an Elk with it, and also lost my confidence with it for Elk.
Lost the Elk with the 143 Hornady bullet.
Not sure how to get my confidence back…

Killed them flat out.
any clue where you hit the elk? Always sucks to lose an animal, happened to me during archery before

I was shooting downhill at 300 yrds.
Bull was at very bottom on a funky angle looking up at me.
Tried a neck shot.
Bull went down and thrashed a couple seconds.
Waited a few minutes with crosshairs on him.
My buddy high fived me and we went up hill 100 yrds to road and got truck to drive up to top to hit a road that led down a road in bottom only 10-15 yrds where he went down.
Picked up a buddy and got down to bull and he was gone.
Maybe 20 min expired between shot and driving down to bull.
Dark now.
Very little blood and could not find him.
Went back in morning with group of friends and fanned out and gridded for about 3 hrs and could not find him.
Maybe hit him a few inches from spine to stun him and then he got back up?

Tried a neck shot.
My buddy high fived me and we went up hill 100 yrds to road and got truck to drive up to top to hit a road that led down a road in bottom only 10-15 yrds where he went down.
Dark now.
Went back in morning with group of friends and fanned out and gridded for about 3 hrs and could not find him.
Never know if it was the round or the shooter that failed

There, fixed it for you. Confidence in the 6.5 restored. The other half is up to you MrShane. 😁

My youngest is rail thin.

He will be forever I'm sure, it's his body type.

He wants 6.5 cm when I buy him his hunting rifle at 16( he uses my old 7mm-08 now).

Elk have made me nervous with it

He wants 6.5 cm when I buy him his hunting rifle at 16( he uses my old 7mm-08 now).

Lumpy, I am sure it was me and not the round.
I have switched to Barnes 127 grainers and every animal since has bit the dust immediately, my bear did go straight downhill about 40 yrds before piling up.
My confidence in the 6.5 CM is 100% on Deer/Antelope sized game.
But rocked a little on Elk due to not much forgiveness in that round ( for me at least).
Shooting with only one hand does not let me anchor foreend as solid as I like, therefore ZERO offhand shots at game will or have been taken by me.
I always use sticks or I find a tree to crotch up in.

My 12 year old boy weighs about 70 lbs. He practiced all summer with a 6.5 creed. Then I put a 6.5 prc in his hands and he smacked a deer at 475 yards no problem. It has a brake and is very comfortable to shoot. I would trust it on elk too.

Tried a neck shot.
Dark now.
I think you are spot on, clipped the meat above the spine and stunned him. That sucks bull likely survived though. If it helps at all, had a dude who liver shot a bull with a .300WM and lost him…

I noticed a few positive reviews for tikka. From what I understand sako is a customized tikka. My son loves his sako hunter s20. It’s a chunk heavier than my 300 WSM Sako Finnlight but has a little less recoil. I use my 300 wsm and don’t have a problem with recoil but I can understand a 7prc for kids.

My take on it is 99% of the time i only take 1 killing shot on game and my 300 wsm is a great round with larger bullets and a lot less drop than a 7prc. Take a look at the drop at 300+ yards with a 300 wsm vs a PRC. I don’t have a muzzy break on my 300 wsm. If I was concerned about kick I’d merely put a break on my 300 wsm and go for it!

I noticed a few positive reviews for tikka. From what I understand sako is a customized tikka. My son loves his sako hunter s20. It’s a chunk heavier than my 300 WSM Sako Finnlight but has a little less recoil. I use my 300 wsm and don’t have a problem with recoil but I can understand a 7prc for kids.

My take on it is 99% of the time i only take 1 killing shot on game and my 300 wsm is a great round with larger bullets and a lot less drop than a 7prc. Take a look at the drop at 300+ yards with a 300 wsm vs a PRC. I don’t have a muzzy break on my 300 wsm. If I was concerned about kick I’d merely put a break on my 300 wsm and go for it!
With a 180gr bullet, the 300wsm is sub 2000ft lbs of energy at about 500yrds. 7prc is still at 2k till about 650, 700 yards, almost 800 with a 190gr bullet. Sure the 7 drops a bit more, but it carries its energy further.

With a 180gr bullet, the 300wsm is sub 2000ft lbs of energy at about 500yrds. 7prc is still at 2k till about 650, 700 yards, almost 800 with a 190gr bullet. Sure the 7 drops a bit more, but it carries its energy further.
Ya got to hit it before the energy can do any good. I believe that’s jim’s point.

Killed them flat out.

6.5CM is a great elk round with solid copper, I use nosler Etips 120gr. Killed this bull wednesday afternoon with my tikka t3x superlite 6.5CM. 202yrds, quartering towards steep downhill angle. hit him at the point of the shoulder exited his opposite armpit. not 1 step, nose to dirt. last years cow was 205yrds same quartering towards downhill shot. hit her between the shoulder blades ran it thru her entire body and found the bullet in the hind quarter. The solid copper likes to penetrate so let the dog eat. Quartering towards shots where you can hit some solid bone first are great. The hornady ELDX 143 bullets fall apart with the 6.5 they are junk. The only lead bullet id consider using in a 6.5 is a nosler accubond.
20231122_181800.jpg

20231123_112212.jpg

Last edited:
6.5CM is a great elk round with solid copper, I use nosler Etips 120gr. Killed this bull wednesday afternoon with my tikka t3x superlite 6.5CM. 202yrds, quartering towards steep downhill angle. hit him at the point of the shoulder exited his opposite armpit. not 1 step, nose to dirt. last years cow was 205yrds same quartering towards downhill shot. hit her between the shoulder blades ran it thru her entire body and found the bullet in the hind quarter. The solid copper likes to penetrate so let the dog eat. Quartering towards shots where you can hit some solid bone first are great. The hornady ELDX 143 bullets fall apart with the 6.5 they are junk. The only lead bullet id consider using in a 6.5 is a nosler accubond. View attachment 127302
View attachment 127301
After my lost bull I switched to 127 Barnes LRX, used it on my Bear and a few Deer and they performed flawlessly.
Just have not convinced myself to use it on Elk again.
Maybe next year.
Thank you for story.

My bad on my 7 PRC post. I looked at the 7 ballistics and they are actually pretty impressive and pretty close to the same bullet with a 300 wsm. I'd pick a 7 PRC over either of the 6.5's any day.

I have a feeling the 6.5 creedmore faithful will sooner or later regret not having a larger caliber that has a tad less drop, wind drift, etc. I can understand it if you are only willing to take prime shots at under 300 yards with a great rest, wind, etc.

What would really stink is if a bull of a lifetime is at 425 yards, the wind is howling, and you have a difficult angle shot. This would be the 1 and only opportunity you have at that bull. Do you make the shot with a creedmore? What about the same shot with a 30 cal using the same bullet? I know which rifle I would grab!

My bad on my 7 PRC post. I looked at the 7 ballistics and they are actually pretty impressive and pretty close to the same bullet with a 300 wsm. I'd pick a 7 PRC over either of the 6.5's any day.

I have a feeling the 6.5 creedmore faithful will sooner or later regret not having a larger caliber that has a tad less drop, wind drift, etc. I can understand it if you are only willing to take prime shots at under 300 yards with a great rest, wind, etc.

What would really stink is if a bull of a lifetime is at 425 yards, the wind is howling, and you have a difficult angle shot. This would be the 1 and only opportunity you have at that bull. Do you make the shot with a creedmore? What about the same shot with a 30 cal using the same bullet? I know which rifle I would grab!
Jims this is kind of a non-starter. Bottom line it is a well placed shot that will kill. Be it from a .22lr or a .338 lapua. Having a projectile that is maybe 10-30 grains heavier and hair wider isn’t going to solve all your problems.

Having a well constructed (for killing) bullet with a rifle you shoot well is the answer. And sticking within the limitations of velocity that will disrupt that bullet. I would venture to say just about everyone shoots lighter recoiling calibers better than heavy. Also ammo tends to be less expensive as the recoil lessens, not always but generally. Which allows for more practice which is key! At 425 yards with a ripping cross wind that will be a tremendously tough shot for anyone regardless of caliber and only folks who can read wind should attempt it, I’m betting that is very very few. I’d take a 6.5 cm that is a shooter over a bigger bore just for bigger bores sake any day of the week. Also most 6.5 cm bullets aren’t dropping below acceptable down range velocity until 600-700 yards, which is far beyond most people’s reach, and it’s because of extremely high BC bullets.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom