New Sleeping Bag

myj

After using my sleeping bag for nearly 20 years, I'm ready for a new one. I hunt Arizona, Nevada and Colorado in temperature ranges from mild to very cold. I normally sleep in a tent but I'd like to be able to sleep out in the open if necessary. I'm considering a -20 degree bag that I can use in mild as well as cold weather. Any suggestions as to which bags I should consider? I'd like to keep my expense under $250 if possible. I'm currently using a semi-mummy so I'd like to go with the same type bag or possibly a rectangular bag to give me more room. Thanks in advance for any advise you may offer.

I agree with you about having more room. I can't sleep in a true mummy bag. The rectangular bags with a hood and zipper baffles are a good compromise.

There are a ton of good brands out there that would suffice for -20 rating. The key to sleeping outside (though I wouldn't do it if it was really that cold) would be a good pad underneath, and a tarp or something over you to keep you dry. You can always wear clothes or stuff blankets in with you to add insulation.

I found some pretty good deals on ebay. Lots of different brands, and some pretty good deals.

good luck,

WH

I am in the same boat. This past season in Nov. we were up on the Kaibab and it got very very cold. One of the guys had a -40 bag from cabelas. I think it was their outfitter series bag and it is around 250-300.00 and this guy was comfortable while when it got down to 8 degrees, I froze my butt off. Do what Kingfish said and check out REI and maybe other websites for price/performance ratings and shop around...... Thanks, Allen Taylor......

I think I will never buy a synthetic down bag again. They always go flat. You have to be so careful about not leaving them in a stuff sack for any length of time or the loft will go bye-bye.

The last Down bag I had never did loose its loft. I threw it away when the shell came apart after about 15 years.

Cabelas has a Cabelas XPG down bag that has a water repellant outer shell that souds like just the ticket. A -10 mummy model is $280 and the retectular bag is $309. I know your budget is $250, but an extra $30-60 won't seem like much when you are toasty warm on the mountain.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I think it is pretty tough to have one bag do it all!
I have a -30 bag that is great for roughing it in sub-zero weather,but it is too warm and too heavy for early season backpack hunts.
Those Butler bags are comfy,and are great if bulk and weight are not of concern,but are very bulky and weigh wayyy too much for backpacking!
You need to fit the bag to your needs,and how you hunt most of the time,to find that happy medium.

Buy a BIG CAT!(its a 20* down bag) Its sold at REI(REI.COM).
I paid $149.00 I think! Packs down small if you need to pack it
unpacked its huge(I LIKE THE ROOM!),

GOOD LUCK! JACK

I bought a nylon covered down bag (no brand name that I can tell) from Union War Surplus 15 years ago to replace the military cloth covered down bag I had for many years before that.
Never have gotten cold in it, lightweight, and after about 30 seasons of sleeping in a mummy bag, you'll be used to the tight quarters and getting all twisted up by the morning........

If I were going to be hunting in those areas, I would save myself some money and just good a good quality Colman from Popular.

It's not like you're going to be on Mt. Everest!

-Mike

I too use a Nebo and they are great. Get a outer cover for any bag you buy(Canvas Bed roll Bag) and it really helps on those really cold trips plus it saves the bag alot of wear and tear.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom