new to archery

O

outdoorsman04

im 15 years old i rifle hunt. But now i want a more challenge what would be the best starter bow .how do you know what size to use. thanks for your opinions

Heya outdoorsman.
Archery is awesome and addicting. If you are going to get started be prepared to poor all of your extra cash into the hobby for years to come. Where do you live? The best thing you could do is find a good pro shop around your house and go in there and have them help you out. They will measure your draw length and recommend a bow that would fit your budget. Remember that besides the expense of the bow, you will spend at least as much money on arrows, a rest, a sight, and all the other goodies. If you are lucky enough to live near 2 pro shops hit them both so you dont get a purely biased opinion on one brand of bow. I would recommend that once you know what you want, you look for something a year or two old. You can pick up much better stuff than you could afford normally. The shops carry used stuff or you can get it from someplace like ebay. What is your total budget? Also, check out archerytalk.com and eders.com for a lot of good information.

i live in utah. Hey thanks for the information it really helped
later

If you are in the Salt Lake area, give me a shout. I can steer you to three different shops and a club with many folks who can help you get set up perfectly.

I would suggest going to a pro shop for your first bow. You can learn what it takes to get set up for you the right way the first time. There are two of those here in Salt Lake that really know what they are doing. The other shop doesn't have a range and is more of a Walmart type of sporting goods store. They have everything, but they aren't going to be able to do the work you need, one on one at first.

It's worth the extra $100 your set up will cost to do it in person. If you want to find a set up used or a couple of years old, I can help with a really good classifieds to find all the right equipment for your size and style.

One of the shops here in town also has a used rack of bows. I found my son's complete set up on that rack for $200. It was the perfect size and fit for his age and growing size. The bow was about 5 years old and in perfect shape. That was a deal that just couldn't be beat anywhere.

Cheers,
Pete

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom