New to Colorado...points question

toolmann

Hey guys. I moved to Colorado a year ago and was only able to get leftover tag last year because I wanted to wait for residency. My question is.... can I get a deer tag in the draw AND still purchase a point as well? Or, if you want to get a point do you just not get to hunt?

Any information would be helpful. Oh, one more, does anyone know of decent areas where a resident can get a cow elk tag with 0 points.

Thanks,

TM

YOu can just apply for a preferance point and not hunt or you can apply for an area for your first choice. If unsuccessful on your first choice draw you can hunt with your second choice pick and still get a point. You can get into the left over draw for a license, make sure to check that box on the application. You can look at the co wildlife statistics page to see last years 0 point cow areas.

Thanks Contender. I appreciate the info on the preference points and I have just been looking at the draw statistics for cow elk.

Thanks again,

TM

My favorite way to do what your asking is to apply for a preference point as my first choice and then an actual hunt code as my second choice. Your gaurunteed to get the point and have a chance at getting to hunt every year. However most hunt codes aren't available to second choice applicants so a little research through the dow's page goes a long ways. Or call the "hunt plan team" at 303-291-7526. These guys are incredibly helpful in wading through the statistics and can help you find a hunt that would give you good draw odds as a second choice hunt. Good luck

Thanks for the info JB. How to they charge you for doing that. Do you have to pay for two tags? If I wanted to get a PP for elk and not hunt this year is the PP free or do I pay the same fee as a tag?

TM

No, you don't pay for two tags, just the one which covers point and license if drawn. If not you get a refund except for application fee.
You have to pay for the point as if you were getting a tag up front even if you don't apply for a license, again you get it all back except application fee...

personnaly, I wouldn't get caught up in the points game for elk/deer, you will likely never catch the premier units(unless something drastic happens in the future) and there are a ton of easy draw units for deer that produce monsters every year.
As far as elk, you can find good bulls in even the otc UNITS. Building up to like 2-5 points for deer/elk makes sense but I wouldn't go beyond that. Just put more time into scouting vs money into points.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom