New to Muleys

What's up everyone? I'm new to the site and new to muley hunting. I have been hunting whitetail since I was 7 and just recently checked off Africa, which was the hunt of a lifetime. But an animal that has always been on my mind and one I have always wanted to be looking at through a site or scope. I have been doing research, looking at maps, trying to figure out the draws and just knowledge in general! Would love advice, hunting buddy, anything really having to do with a good, mature muley harvest!! Thanks in advance guys!!!

Welcome and glad to have you. Mule deer are the best critter on earth. And they live in varied but interesting habitat. Just pick a place and get started.

Not sure where you live or your age, but don't wait. Hunt as much as you can and get experience under your belt. Most of all, enjoy the whole experience and not just the hunt or the kill. Enjoy the adversity, the success, and the beautiful country where mule deer live.

When you get a few posts under your belt and have specific questions, I'm sure the guys here will be willing to assist.

As was said, 'Mule Deer Are the Best Critters on Earth'. Despite the low number shown on my posts, I've been a long-time mule deer hunter and long-time member of this group....... somehow I got deleted and am just restarting.

The 'SECRETS' to hunting mule deer are to do all the typical things: Watch the wind, be quiet, don't skyline yourself, and all such things.

Of course, the more knowledge of muleys and muley-experience you have, the better off you will be.
BUT

1) Put in a LOT of time in country where good bucks might live. Although they CAN be anywhere, they don't spend much time where people hunt.... GET AWAY FROM HUNTERS, The Road, Access Points, and anything that seems 'easy'.
(TOP of the mountain, deepest canyon, thickest 'hole', etc.)

2) Become good at SEEING THEM. It takes practice to pick out an antler or ear from a mile+ away. Good optics and the skill the use them are an essential part of this.

3) DON'T MISS. Learn to shoot your gun at distances Far Greater than most whitetail hunters understand. Learn to see them at more than a mile and learn to shoot them at 400 yards. I'm a BIG BELIEVER in getting as close as you can to 'guarantee' your shot but there are a lot of canyons 400 yards wide.

4) DO NOT BELIEVE the myth about muleys being 'dumb'. There are a LOT MORE MATURE BUCKS than most believe (check back after the season; you'll be shocked). They ARE there. They hide well and they can see ANY movement you make; too often go nocturnal.

Good Luck

Within the shadows, move softly.
(Long-time member; somehow I was 'lost' after have logged 10,000+ posts.)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom