New updates

O

OregonBighorn

Looks like ODFW is finally going to cut deer tags in Oregon. North Warner Rifle deer is down to 32 among many other cuts! They are also proposing five new antelope hunts and making the Steens, Warner, and Maury units draw only for bow deer tags. Lots of other changes as well. What do you think about all the new cuts and proposed changes for 2010?
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/

"Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

Oregon has to do something to help their big game. As a non-resi Im only going to burn my points once then Im done so Ill be looking for some positive change. Ill continue to build my points until something they offer is worth hunting. It seems to me most of Oregons herds need some better management.Make the cuts and changes if they are biologically sound. BH1

I am a bowhunter, but I have to admit that is is time for Oregon to go to a limited draw on archery. In most of the units. Archers have become much better harvesters that most people thought. I bet we have a 20% kill rate as a whole. I personally have taken 4 bucks in the last 5 years. Those are pretty high numbers for archery guys. By going to a draw it will help limit the hunters, which limits the take, which controls the population. I see that they are starting to take a harvest report, that too will help in understanding the sustainable population, low harvest numbers = low populations in general, not in all cases though.

I think the ODFW believes that there are more deer than there really are. I have had more than one conversation with a biologist.

Yep...less tags for all, let us hunt da bears and cougers with DOGS/bait and draw for archery!

muleyman

>Yep...less tags for all, let us
>hunt da bears and cougers
>with DOGS/bait and draw for
>archery!
>
>muleyman

+1

As soon as you guys can figure a way out to get the voters to vote the other way I'm sure ODFW would love to make that change. Until then it's out of their hands.

One thing that you guys are missing in this. ODFW cut tags, but in the same sentence added several antelope hunts. Why, so they have the same revenue. It is a shift in priorities, people are complaining about the lack of mule deer but they need the money so they add some antelope hunts. If they were serious about helping the muleys they would cut tags across the board, not just in one or two units and they would stop the doe hunts until numbers come back. Compare what Colorado just did to what Oregon is doing, no comparison. Colorado has cut deer tags substantially two years in a row, Oregon does very little, a token effort IMHO.

Rich

I'd have to say they don't need the money want the money cause they don't want to tighten their belts like every one else, maybe even lay off a few un-necessary office workers.

Like Rich says all ODFW does it play a nut shell game with the tags, if they cut a tag somewhere they issue another one somewhere else. our game herds are managed by bank accounts not biology, and it shows.

I wish they would create more archery antelope hunts, quality ones. They have two rifle seasons with over 200 tags for the whitehorse. Why can't archers get a 5-7 day season with 20 tags? Why can't we get a Steens hunt? Even if it's a few tags? If you make more hunts there are more opportunities for people and it decreases the number of applicants in some of the tougher hunts. It spreads people around a bit.

If we had more quality archery elk hunts we might have a better shot at drawing the weneha, WW, or mt emily. People would have to make a decision about drawing a tag every year or wait and hunt a mediocre OTC area. How many guys hunt desolation, starkey, heppner, etc. If you made those units a draw. How many people would that take out of applying for the Weneha? the Walla Walla? Drawing that take might become a reality.

I'd like it if they would have more limited hunts at different times. For example, 5 muzzleloader elk tags in August for certain units or Archery in December. Create some unique hunt opportunities. Say you get 100 people apply for that limited hunt, it pull applicants away from other over applied units.

Of course, it would mean that a lot of General seasons would need to go to a draw system. I.E. Archery. But just think, they would have additonal revenue because of the applicatin fees

"Of course, it would mean that a lot of General seasons would need to go to a draw system. I.E. Archery. But just think, they would have additonal revenue because of the applicatin fees"

I don't know if it would increase revenue or not. I would think not because you're selling less tags. An elk tag is 34.50 and an app fee is 4.50.

Say you have 1800 hunters buying elk tags for an OTC unit. That equates to 62,100 bucks. Now say you limit the tags to 800 the next year. You make 8100 bucks on the app fees for 1800 hunters but only 800 buy tags for that unit, that's 27,600 bucks for a total of 35,700. About a 30,000 loss.

The only way ODFW would make money is if those unsuccessful applicants bought tags elsewhere such as an OTC tag or being successful on a 2nd choice hunt.

Back
Top Bottom