Newburgs podcast

I think they did a great job of describing the rights of residents. Also, the benefits nonres provide by financially supporting wildlife management and improvement projects that put more critters on the mountains and prairies.

Last edited:
I say go for it Wyoming! As Randy mentioned, states can go 100 - 0 across the board but there will likely be consequences to residents.

Residents tag prices will increase dramatically. There also may be fewer big game critters running across the landscape if there isn't financial support for improvement projects from outside funding sources as well as license revenue.

A great example of this is Wyoming elk where 1 nonres special priced elk tag sold contributes the same $ as 34 resident tags. There could potentially be 1 nonres elk shot with 1 special tag vs 34 elk shot by residents to generate the same revenue. My guess is that Wyo res aren't willing to pay $1,950 for the same number of nonres special tags? This doesn't account for every nonres paying a pref pt fee each and every year.

Randy didn't mention the revenue generated by nonres (both guided and nonguided) to local economies. We all are aware of the revenue publications, charts, and articles I've shared in the past.

Wyo's boom and bust economy certainly is everything but stable. I say go for it Wyo....the WG&F, Wyo res, and wildlife will be the ones that ultimately suffer!

Colorado is a prime example of fantastic opportunity for nonresident hunters even with the recent slight decrease in tag quotas. It's pretty evident by the outcry from local small town business what nonresidents contribute to these economies.

If Wyo wants to go 90/10 or 100/0 it's their decision but they will likely pay for it!

I say go for it Wyoming! As Randy mentioned, states can go 100 - 0 across the board but there will likely be consequences to residents.

Residents tag prices will increase dramatically. There also may be fewer big game critters running across the landscape if there isn't financial support for improvement projects from outside funding sources as well as license revenue.

A great example of this is Wyoming elk where 1 nonres special priced elk tag sold contributes the same $ as 34 resident tags. There could potentially be 1 nonres elk shot with 1 special tag vs 34 elk shot by residents to generate the same revenue. My guess is that Wyo res aren't willing to pay $1,950 for the same number of nonres special tags? This doesn't account for every nonres paying a pref pt fee each and every year.

Randy didn't mention the revenue generated by nonres (both guided and nonguided) to local economies. We all are aware of the revenue publications, charts, and articles I've shared in the past.

Wyo's boom and bust economy certainly is everything but stable. I say go for it Wyo....the WG&F, Wyo res, and wildlife will be the ones that ultimately suffer!

Colorado is a prime example of fantastic opportunity for nonresident hunters even with the recent slight decrease in tag quotas. It's pretty evident by the outcry from local small town business what nonresidents contribute to these economies.

If Wyo wants to go 90/10 or 100/0 it's their decision but they will likely pay for it!
If I could apply for NR special tags at the higher fee as well as the resident draw, I'd do it in a heart beat. Double my chances of drawing...all day long.

• Nonresident license allocation modified: Big-game license allocation for bear, deer, elk and pronghorn has been modified from 65% for residents and 35% for nonresidents to 75% for residents and 25% for nonresidents for most hunt codes. High-demand hunt codes remain at 80% for residents and 20% for nonresidents.
Where is the 30% cut in tags you are talking about in Colo? Also, what are the current % nonres quotas in Wyo for limited deer, elk, and antelope?

• Nonresident license allocation modified: Big-game license allocation for bear, deer, elk and pronghorn has been modified from 65% for residents and 35% for nonresidents to 75% for residents and 25% for nonresidents for most hunt codes. High-demand hunt codes remain at 80% for residents and 20% for nonresidents.
Where is the 30% cut in tags you are talking about in Colo? Also, what are the current % nonres quotas in Wyo for limited deer, elk, and antelope?
Not math much? When you drop something from 35 to 25, that's a 29% reduction (I rounded to 30).

You didn’t factor in that high demand nonres tags remained the exact same with no drop in nonres tags.

It comes down to Colo being the most nonres friendly state in the Western US. Even with minor decreases in 2024, nonres get 25% or 20% of limited deer, elk, and antelope tags. Add on to that unlimited elk. Add on to that landowner tag options....and on to that left-over/returned tag options!

Buzz is the best in the business for bending and twirking facts!

The fact is, Colo remains a great state for nonres opportunity! Thank you Wyo for also offers decent OYO type hunter opportunity!

Wyoming is 70 miles from the house.

We, the boys and I were thinking an antelope hunt would be fun, nothing trophy, just a chance to spend some time.

Wyoming priced us out.

They don't owe me anything, just too bad

Cutting NR tag allocation from 35% to 25% is a 28.5% reduction in tags available to NRs. That’s simple math. And pretty darn close to a 30% cut.

So what do you nonres think about nonres opportunity in Colo? Do you think it’s better or worse than Wyo’s current nonres opportunity and allotments?

How about the price of nonres tags in Wyo vs Colo?

Colorado has the best nonresident opportunity…….because we charge you less to walk around in the woods with the other tourists.

Can one of you math whizzez make a 25 column spreadsheet that also factors success rates into your Chamber of Commerce rating speeches? Thanks…

Hey Blue!

We've Got Lots Of Hiking Permits As Well!

Colorado has the best nonresident opportunity…….because we charge you less to walk around in the woods with the other tourists.

Can one of you math whizzez make a 25 column spreadsheet that also factors success rates into your Chamber of Commerce rating speeches? Thanks…

Maybe low success for OTC elk but if my memory is correct, Colo was re-writing the B&C book for mule deer just a few years ago.

If you think about it, many states are probably almost 98-2 or so as it is. Sure there are some opportunity tags that they just throw out there to generate funding but the harvest rates are so low they arent worried about the animals harvested. Utah and Arizona come to mind, for anyone starting out now or even in the last 5 years, you will likely get 1 or if your lucky, maybe 2 high demand tags in your lifetime as a NR.

In the case of Utah especially, if you look at the cost of applying for 20+ years to maybe, maybe, have a shot at a high demand tag, you would be money ahead to simply just buy a hunt elsewhere.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom