Next Season

silverlake176

Going into next season I will have four points for deer. I've been trying to figure out what tag I wanna put in for. I've been thinking about possibly putting in for the Steens Mt. Has anyone heard any good buck coming from the Steens in the last couple of years? I'm sure that it is no where close to being as good as it was fifteen years ago, but I don't think anywhere is as good as it was fifteen years ago. I have never been to the Steens so I was wondering if any of you guys here have been there and seen any good quality bucks, or if the tag would be a waste of preference points.

Waste of preference points. The guy I elk hunt with from time to time blew 5 points on it this year and hunted hard for a week to kill a dink. He said there weren't many good bucks in there at all.

I would hold out for 4 more years and draw Trout Creek Mountains. I had a friend that killed a nice buck in the Beulah Unit also.

Same story. I have heard some recovery happening in units like the malheur (but it is over-hunted), but the Steens has continued to sag. I know somebody who has almost exclusive access to a large ranch on the Steens and even with that, the quality is poor. Trout Creeks are better, but not what they were a few years back either. I have 8 points and thought of burning them, but at this point, I am going to draw the trout creeks in the next couple years. After that, who knows, but I won't be waiting 10 more years to get a tag. Good luck.

I would go for a juniper muzzleloader tag instead of the trout creeks. A guy I worked with hunted it hard this year and had scouted it almost every weekend. He ended up with a 160in spindly buck.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-07 AT 02:14PM (MST)[p]Are you the hunter that drives to his camping spot, and hunts from camp? Giving you a 5-6 mile per day on foot depending on terrain?

The last few yrs now we pack into area's no one else go's. The bucks and bulls are abundant and of good size.

Here's a buck I killed archery hunting a on pulic land in E. Oregon packed in 21 miles. Green score 204 offical 196, 8X9 non-typ.

4720f8aa1bf229c6.jpg

Get away from the crowds! Hire an outfit to do a drop camp for you!

muleyman

>support your local guzzlers. OHA life
>member,lapine oregon------------------------------------------------------------------------a large ranch has
>just been opened for public
>access in the steens for
>next deer season. check here
>http://www.dfw.state.or.us/AH/hunting/ for details

You're not making friends here...............

support your local guzzlers. OHA life member,lapine oregon-------(You're not making friends here...............) not my job. sharing good info is my job. this is now open to public access and the public is paying the roaring springs ranch for the access.

Back
Top Bottom