Nice Idaho Moose

typicalmuley

I took a few pictures of this guy while out scouting for elk. What do you guys think? Would you shoot him? What would he score? I really think his is a unique looking bull. If I had the tag I would take him.

P1040013.jpg

P1040019.jpg

P1040020.jpg

Enjoy the moment and relive the memories.

Great pic, thanks for sharing.

He isn't especially large, in fact pretty narrow up top. Maybe 40-41"? Probably a bit less. He's got long tines though, and nice paddles--forked brows...great character.
Great dewlap too!

With a tag in hand he'd still be a beaut.
Next year he'll be a great bull!

I'd say 41-42 wide.
he'd score tremendously well in SCI.
B&C he'd be about 150"
He really has it all, except width.... and those palms are pretty long..... maybe closer to 158" ish.... HAHA
big enough!!! put the hammer down!

About the only thing that bull has going for it are his split tines. He's not wide, doesn't have enough points and his palms are too narrow. If it was a trophy area, I'd pass. If it was an area infested with wolves and other vermin, I'd probably take him...

>About the only thing that bull
>has going for it are
>his split tines. He's
>not wide, doesn't have enough
>points and his palms are
>too narrow. If it
>was a trophy area, I'd
>pass. If it was
>an area infested with wolves
>and other vermin, I'd probably
>take him...

Good call......agreed.

I think Chet has hit him pretty close, 150+-. He would be the largest shiras on most guys' wall.

I'd guess he is is an older bull and probably won't get larger with more time. Large hump, deep chest, and rarely see that long a bell on a younger bull.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

Nice looking bull. Great looing palm, but lacks width. That's way we pre scout. If nothing better has shown up he is a nice bull.

Pretty decent Shiras moose, if you ask me.

That's the flattest, most open country I've ever seen a moose in! LOL

Zeke

>Pretty decent Shiras moose, if you
>ask me.
>
>That's the flattest, most open country
>I've ever seen a moose
>in! LOL
>
>Zeke

Thats what I was thinking!!!! Grain fed bullwinkle!!!! MMMMMMMMMM TASTY!!!!!

I think 150 is stretching the tape a little, I would put him more in the low 140's. If I had a tag, I would still shoot him he is a dandy shiras.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

older bull for sure!
defiantly a shooter on most units most years. Id say you had better have a better one already picked out if your passing this one.

Just for the sake of debate I'll throw in my opinion and side with those who say Non shooter". I don't see this bull over 40 inches. Also my understanding is that old bulls typically have short waddles because in the winter they freeze and get stepped on and break off. I very rarely see a true monster shirahs w a long waddle. I can't even do the math on that bull to get 140.

>older bull for sure!
>defiantly a shooter on most units
>most years. Id say you
>had better have a better
>one already picked out if
>your passing this one.
>
>
>

For as big a bull as he is, he probably wouldn't score that well.
Scoring on moose is flawed through in my opinion. It's a big, mature bull and that's what I'd be looking for if I had a tag.

Judging from some of the posts above I'm not sure if some guys know a whole lot about scoring moose? He looks like a mighty fine bull to me. I'm not exactly sure when a b&c bull isn't considered a giant? He certainly looks like he should make the awards book even though he may not be extremely wide.

Viewing this bull from the side it looks like he will more than make up for mediocre to decent anlter width with his palm length. His brows fork fairly far out on the brow so this will add quite a few inches to his score. Bulls that have long tines coming off their palms generally have fairly narrow palm width but this bull still has decent palm width.

The b&c scoring system for Shiras moose in particular is fairly unfair. The reason I say this is because I passed up some gigantic, impressive bulls when I had a tag several years ago that made my bull look like a dink. When I took my bull to the taxidermist my antlers fit inside a bull that didn't even come close to making it...because the other bull had a spike rather than forked brows on both sides. Mine made b&c just because he had forked brows and a few other measurements that helped him make it. I've seen 160" bulls with 40" spread so spread isn't everything!

The more I look at this bull, the more I agree with Jims.

I was looking at a rack yesterday that scored in the 160 and change, and had a pretty similar shaped rack to this guy. Bowled in rack that took away from the spread, split brows, everything. This guy really isn't that much different.

I think this bull scores in the high 150s. A shooter in any unit I know of.

My wifes bull was under 40 wide and scored mid 160's, so it does happen. I doubt this bull woulkd go much over 150 though.

Yelum

A friend of mine killed a great shiras moose here in Idaho in '09.
It was a 48" bull that dwarfed the one pictured. And he saw many great bulls he passed on because he was trying with archery.
Heck, I have an Alaskan moose on my wall and his was better than mine! Width, palms, tine length...the works.
And there are quite a few here throughout Idaho.

The pictured bull has some character and potential, but needs time to really mature.
If he is all that is seen by a tag holder, pull the trigger; he'll eat great and show decent too; he's a nice animal, but definitely not a trophy shiras.

I have scouted SEVERAL days on the Wasatch Unit and this bull is much larger than any bull I have seen so far. i would take him.

Most hunters with a tag in hand will never shoot a shiras that big. I get a kick out of all the guys who think he's small, he's a good shiras moose, and a bull that most hunters would be fortunate to take in most units where they can be hunted.

I agree CAelknuts. He's a good shirahs--I just don't think he is close to being a great shirahs

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom