Nikon Monarch

J

joshtepen

I am looking at purchasing a pair of 10x42 monarch atb binocs. I have hunted out in Colorado the last two years and am going again this year. My question is are the 10x42 enough or should I look into the 12x42 instead. Also if anyone uses the monarchs, what kind of luck have you had with the nikons. Thanks in advance

I own a pair of nikon monarchs 10*42, and a pair of swarovs 10*42. The nikons are lighter and almost just as crisp as the swarovs. $300 for the nikons and $1400 for the swarovs and I almost like the nikons better. If you are planning on glassing from a tripod I would get the 12*50+, the larger exit diameter will give you a greater field of view which is very important. The 10*42's will work just fine from a tripod and free glassing. Good luck in your decision. You can't go wrong w/ the nikon monarchs.

I own and use the 10x42 Monarchs

Great glass for the money.
I have used them for the past several years and I have recommended them to many friends and some hunting partners have actually purchased them after looking through mine.

I went with the 10x because that gives me plenty of power to use effectively without giving me a headache from the picture jumping up and down. Higher than 10x seems to be a pain for me since I can't hold them steady enough. After glassing all day, you will be happy to go with 10x.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Josh, I have the Nikons and they are a decent glass for the money. I haven't had any problems with mine in the two+ years I've had them, other than my eyecups sticking a bit. I used them on a 20 day float hunt in Alaska where they saw the entire gamut of weather, including a brief dunk in about 2 feet of river water. Myself, I don't think they match up to the big three, but that's just my eyes. Yours may see something different. I can't speak about the 12X42's since I haven't used them, but would assume you will need a tripod to keep them steady. I like the 10X as a good all around bino. Unless you can't/won't spend the big dollars on the big three, the Nikons are a good bino. I would recommend them for a low to mid priced bino.

Good luck,
Garion

That's a really good price.
If you buy online, try to look for free shipping.
It always lowers the overall bill.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

If you are comparing 2 glasses with the same objective diameter, in this case 42mm, the 12x will have a SMALLER FOV than the 10x, not bigger.

I have a pair of the 10x42 Monarchs, for the money they are hard to beat. For $1200 less than the Swaro's you can't go wrong.

Go with the 10x42 because you will not be able to hold the 12x binos steady enough. The 10x42 also has a larger exit pupil (i.e. it is brighter) than the 12x42. The Nikon Monarchs are very good binos and you will not be disapointed.

Mark

Thanks for all the help, fellas. I have seen the monarchs on ebay and looks like I can get a pair for around $270. I will check shipdog.com. I think the 10x42 will do the trick. Hell, anything beats the $25 10x50 simmons I have now. Again, thanks for the insight.

Josh

Save your money! In my experience with the monarch 10x42, I was totall dissatisfied. After only a year of use they became very hazy and seemed to be cheaply made. I have zeiss classics now and between the 2 there is no comparison, Zeiss by a landslide. That being said, I have used Leupold 10x50 Olympics in the mountains and must say for around $375 they are fantastic. My 2c
T264

I appreciate the feedback. I was looking to spend around 300 bucks. I dont want to spend over 500. I just want to get a pair I can rely on for a long time and have heard the monarchs are hard to beat.

Call or e-mail Doug at Camera Land New York before you buy anywhere else. I doubt you'll find lower prices on USA warrantied goods. Another suggestion I'd make is that you wait and save up another $100.00 - $150.00 and get the 10x43 Pentax DCF SP's, which I'll bet Doug would sell you for $420.00 shipped if you asked. The SP's are heads and shoulders above the Monarch's......

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
www.cameralandny.com
212-753-5128

Nikon Monarchs have a large following yet I have looked through them and believe that the Bushnell Legends provide a sharper view and feel more sturdy. The Legends can be had at D&R well within your budget. www.dnrsports.net

I just purchased Celestrons Regal LX 8x42 from adorama and find them extremely sharp and well made. The best price out there is at this site. http://www.adorama.com/CN842RL.html

I had and used leupold Olympics 10x50 for a year. They are very bright and clear...

UNTIL you try fine focusing at long distances, then these bino's become horrible. Something about the glass at long ranges. I ebayed them and havent looked back after going to Zeiss

>Save your money! In my experience
>with the monarch 10x42, I
>was totall dissatisfied. After only
>a year of use they
>became very hazy and seemed
>to be cheaply made.

I you have problems with haze I suggest you send them back to Nikon for repair. They come with a 30 year unconditional warantee.

Mark

I bought the Nikon Monarchs last year, and for the money, I have been extremely happy. I think each type of glass is going to be a little different for each person who looks through it. I really like the Nikons, and will use them for many years to come, until they eventually become my back-upswhen I buy my Swarovskis.

Good luck with whatever you buy and happy hunting!

SCOTT

I have a pair of 10X42's and have them for 3 years now. Im very happy with them. Get yourself a Bino Buddy system to hold them on your body and you cant go wrong.

Don

My take is that the pentax and wind rivers and conquests are far better glass for the money when you compare them side by side. I've still got a pair of monarchs and wish I had done more comparing before buying a pair in that price range.

Today I compared the Monarchs to the Leapold Olympias and also the Leapold Pinnacles. I'd go with the Pinnacles first and then the Olympias second. Also check out the Pentax's as mentioned above. Check out the warranties on all of the name brands you look at. And, look through every name brand you can get your hands on at the sporting goods store. Outside in low light. Goodluck, fatrooster.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom