nikon vs. vortex spotters

O

orcat14

so i'm in the market for a new spotting scope within my price range (<$350). after some research the two that i am most interested in are the vortex nomad and the nikon spotter xl II. i like these models for their pack size and considerably good reviews in their price range. i know the vortex retails for less, but i have a chance to buy the nikon at a price very similar to what i could buy the vortex for. my question is has anybody compared these two side by side? since the ~$150 price difference no longer applies, should i buy the spotter xl II or does the nomad outperform even though it retails for less? thanks for any help!

Good question I wish I knew the answer.I am considering both of these scopes too.As well as the Bushnell Elite 15x45x60.Come on guys ,any help ??

I haven't compared the two, but I have a Vortex Nomad and love it. I have been a Nikon glass guy until I bought the Vortex. I think I will be buying Vortex for my glass purchases in the future.
nrueh

I just bought a Vortex Sandpiper today from Camera land, they had a smoking deal on them at $199, how can you go wrong. If you're interested I'll keep you updated on how I like it.

i was the one that originally posed this question, and i made the same choice as you, Frontier. i bought the Sandpiper from CameraLand. after reading some reviews and having looked throught the Nomad, i made a phone call to the vortex people and it has the same glass and coatings as the nomad, with a slightly larger (65mm) objective that will gather a little more light, but only weighs 2 more ounces and is less than a half-inch longer. it has a smaller zoom range (15-45x) than the Nomad (20-60x), but i figured that would rarely be useful anyhow. needless to say, i'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of my Sandpiper next week. will try to post reports after i get a chance to look through it...

I am also looking at spotters and I am new to them. Will I notice a difference between the Nomad and the Sandpiper? There is approx $100 diff in price, what makes one better than the other? I am looking to get the most and best for what little money I can spend. Want to stay under $350. Also a friend just picked up Leopold Sequoia for $250. What is the better glass?

Thanks

The optics in the Nomad and Sandpiper are the same. The difference is that the Sandpiper is a 65mm tube vs the 60mm of the Nomad so it is slightly brighter but also slightly larger

If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
212-753-5128
[email protected]
www.cameralandny.com

just got the nomad and love it!! will put it to the true test in wyoming and report back.

i got my vortex stokes sandpiper spotter in the mail today. had a chance to test it out casually tonight, and i must say i was pretty impressed! i don't claim to be an optics expert, but the image was sharp and clear edge to edge and at dusk it gathered light at the lower magnifications every bit as well, if not better, than my 10x42 nikon monarch binocs. needless to say, i was pretty excited about it. now i just need to find some animals to look at through it!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom