NM bear and cougar proposals?

bticked

I was wondering what you all think about the proposals to change up the bear and cougar hunting here in NM? I would like to try and make it to the meeting next week in ABQ. As for me, I think that if they want to raise the quotas, thats fine, so long as it will SUSTAIN the population and only reduce it in those areas to a more manageable situation. I'm ok with the spring hunts but I think that a pursuit only season in spring, summer or both would best benefit the area. Chasing the bears and cougars with dogs early in the year keeps them more afraid of people and up in the mountains where they belong. There would be less nuisance, especially around the ABQ area in the Sandias and Manzanos. Also, there is evidence from other states that when there is a pursuit season, female (bear) harvest in the fall goes down dramatically. Better trained dogs in better shape allow us to be more picky in the fall and shoot mature boars. What does everyone think?

Ryan

We see a bear a season (4 days) up in 51 either during scouting or hunting, saw lion this last year. Had Game warden tell us a few years back it a place that they turn out problem bears from ABQ. it does seem to be more of them now, we see more bear sh!t now, or just found their favorite place to sh!t. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

if it does not adversely affect population levels, it would be a good thing in my opinion.

As I didn't get a tag this year, am going to try bear (archery) for the first time. Not knowing what I'm doing I went to the game department yesterday to get some starter points.

Two things on proposals that they 'will' be doing next year; they want a higher prosecution rate on people who still hunt bear in closed bear areas, with a three year minimum of loss of hunting privileges on conviction. And while it is Illegal this year to call bears with electronics, next year you will be allowed to.

Those things you mentioned are in the proposed plan. I agree that if it doesnt adversely affect population I'm all for it, I just wonder if they take into account human encroachment with the nuiscance bears. They are putting forth their final proposal Aug. 28th at the Marriot? I'm going to try to be there again but bear season will be going on. I would rather see them open a pursuit season in either spring or summer or allow dogs during the spring hunt, its the only true way to target mature males. A pursuit season would put some more fear back in those critters, keep em from coming into campsites and down into the city more but I do think there are a few too many and food competition is growing. Also there is documentation that when a pursuit season is not allowed, female bear harvest in the fall can go up as much as 42%. Fat chance I'll ever see any of that passed though.

Ryan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom