Nm GMU 27 tips?

Bell_118

Hey guys I got a January archery tag for unit 27 in New Mexico. Never been down in that area and was curious if anyone had any advice or areas to check when I get down there? Thanks

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering how your hunt went. I drew an early archery tag in GMU 27.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering how your hunt went. I drew an early archery tag in GMU 27.
I grew up in Silver City and used to venture down to GMU 27 quite frequently. It used to be such a magical area. I haven't been down there in years, but here are my thoughts...If you are looking for Coues deer, hunt up high. The mule deer will be down in the flats and up to midslope. That is not to say you won't see Coues deer down low or mule deer up high, but generally mule deer midslope down, and Coues deer up high. The mountains down there have an amazing diversity of vegetation and habitat types. I understand there are a lot of roads now, and lots of Border Patrol traffic. The area should be fairly well watered for the Sonoran desert. Perhaps contact local ranchers. I remember the ranchers around Cloverdale were not too receptive of allowing hunters on their private land, and access to National Forest around there was restricted. I hope you have an awesome hunt, and I hope you will post pictures. I also hope the area has retained some of its magical qualities. In the past, I could go down there for two or three days at a time and maybe see a couple vehicles on the road. It used to be a great unit, but I rarely hear much about it anymore. Good luck on your hunt.

GilaJeff, thanks for the information. It sounds similar to here in Southwest AZ as far as Mule deer go. I drew the early archery Mule deer tag. I expect a challenging hunt with little to no access to private, but I am hopeful to get an opportunity at a decent deer.

GilaJeff, thanks for the information. It sounds similar to here in Southwest AZ as far as Mule deer go. I drew the early archery Mule deer tag. I expect a challenging hunt with little to no access to private, but I am hopeful to get an opportunity at a decent deer.
The NM state record for non-typical muzzleloader mule deer came from that unit. I think you will find plenty of public land to hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom