NM Pronghorn

BigFin

Too lazy to re-post the entire story of this hunt, but thought I would give the pics here. If you want to full story, go to Moosie's Hunttalk site (hope I don't get nuked for that link).

Shot this buck on the 4th. Very happy with it.

48f3ee2b2b7ac239.jpg

48f3ee5a2c9de683.jpg

48f3ee7f2d81b58b.jpg

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Massive lope as i've ever seen! He doesn't look that long but with all that mass, hard to tell. I'm really curious what he scored? Congrats!!

Joey

"Love it. post the measurements if you have them."

Now that I am home, I have measured and re-measured this buck about ten times. Here is what I am coming up with as a conservative numbers.

Length ? 16 2/8 and 16 6/8
Bases ? 7 2/8 and 7 3/8
C2 ? 7 6/8 and 7 6/8
C3 ? 4 5/8 and 4 5/8
C4 ? 2 5/8 and 2 6/8
Prongs ? 5 4/8 and 5 4/8

Gross Green Score? 88 6/8, with a net of 88. Another person measured him and came up with 89 1/8. Either score is amazing for a non-guided hunt by a hunter who had never set foot on that property prior to the hunt.

I am not an official scorer, and to be honest, don't care what this buck nets out at, after the 60-day drying period.

I do know a few guys who are better at scoring than I am, and if I can roust them up this week, will get a second opinion to my score.

I am curious to get an official green score to which I can compare an official 60-day score, just so I know what the true shrinkage is on an antelope.

I am the luckiest guy who ever stepped foot on this planet.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

For me the lesson from that buck is that mass can make length tough to judge. When he was on the hoof what did you think he was going to go in the length department? Did he look north of 15 when he was alive? I don't think I would have guessed him at 16 or bigger.

I can understand your elation. That is an amazing antelope. Well done.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-08 AT 02:22PM (MST)[p]gznokes:

I actually passed him earlier in the day for the exact reason you cited. I was convinced he was no more than 15". His mass was so much, he looked short.

Later, I saw him standing next to a buck I had estimated to be over 15". He looked taller than that buck. It was then I could see his true length and what had to be tremendous mass. A very easy decision to make at that time.

Fortunately, I was able to close the gap and make the shot at 164 yards. When I walked up to him, I was still worried I had made a mistake and talked myself into making him something he really wasn't.

Much to my relief, he was all I hoped for and more.

This pic shows mass from the front, which is very good.

48f4ff545a116831.jpg

Dude-- That is by far the sweetest antelope I've ever seen! He is absolutely prehistoric!

I live in AZ, and was wondering what draw units in NM are worth applying for? I would be willing to buy landowner tags every year if I could get on some good, 75"+ goats every year. I love them.

Congrats again on that buck though. I'll probably photoshop my face in your pics and tell my buddies I shot him!!! LOL

"This pic shows mass from the front, which is very good."

You are not kidding. Wow. What an awesome pronghorn.

I read your story...nice work. Sounds like you sure drew a good ranch and landowner. Its amazing how widely comments on NM pronghorn hunting varies. Some are very happy and others not so much.

Congratualtions...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom