NM unit 40

vthokee

I am new to New Mexico via the Air Force. I am over in Clovis at Cannon AFB and this year I will be hunting unit 40 for mule deer. I am looking for some info on that unit and spot and stalk hunting in general. I have always hunted whitetails so this will be a new challenge. I primarily bow hunt and was hoping to maybe get a leftover elk tag this year but it doesn't look promising.

GMU 40 is mostly private land, there is plenty of State Land to hunt on though. I recomend going onto mytopo.com and purchasing a map for GMU 40. If you select their printed maps you will see where they have the GMU hunting maps for purchase. They clearly lay out the private, state, BLM, and national forest lands. Even if you do not want to pay for them you can at least look at them all you want. Once you get that map go scout and confirm what you think. As for an elk tag start looking at craigslist and the albuquerque journal classifieds. As the season comes closer those prices will drop. I have seen some landowners start at $1100 and drop to $400 for a bull tag.It is all just a matter of how much notice you are required to give for putting in for leave and how much you are willing to spend. If money is not a big issue and you got some leave saved up you can also check out colorado. They have some units that are over the counter archery. I would look at Units 78 and 81. They are both just North of NM and have potential to produce a good animal. The price of an out of state tag is about $550. Good luck

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom