No tresspassing on state land

J

jstwnahnt

So I've been looking at some maps and noticed that an area near where I've been hunting for the past 10+ years is marked on the maps as state land. The thing is on the fence posts dividing the "state" from national forest have been no trespassing signs for as long as I can remember. According to the maps I've looked at there are pockets of private in the fenced off area but mostly State. So I'm a little confused, can someone lease that land and post it or is posted wrong? Any suggestions on where I would need to go to get it cleared up for me? This particular area is in Summit county, Ut.

Gee, just think how great it will be if your state is successful in taking the land that is currently federally administered and makes it state land. And what about when they start selling all that currently open federal public land to private landowners who will in turn really lock it up. And if the state can't or doesn't sell it they will charge you a fee (tax) to use it for recreation.

Don't think it can happen? You better study up on the goal of HB 148 which was passed this last year.

Go to the County Recorder's office and look at the official plat map. If the property belongs to the state, it should specify which state agency owns it. If the signs are illegal, you might just want to leave them there while you legally hunt the property! That way, you'll be the only one there!

Or better yet get that thing called a GPS with a Utah state chip see if it is public then keep your mouth shut if it is public and have yourself a private public honey hole! Since there has been a few of these disputes in central Wyoming it is funny how many no trespassing signs have come down and has been open back up to the public. When you are getting yelled at by a so called land owner and you pull out your GPS and say lets see if I am in deed in the wrong? The land owner starts to stutter you then know what has been posted for years & years is really public land theres nothing they can do about it.

You're all missing the point. He's saying it is state land that is posted and he's being kept off of.

I'd call the sheriff and have the signs torn down. Those bastards that post land should not get away with it.

Hunt it hard this year and press charges against anybody that stands in your way.

Grizzly

PS. Tristate, please be an adult and respect my wishes that you do not respond to any of my posts. I, in turn, will do you the courtesy of not responding to any of yours. I simply do not wish to converse with you.

Is this in Colorado?

Found a Chunk of USFS Ground that was Posted by a Rancher a few years ado!

I stopped by the USFS Office to find out WTH?

Lady told me:

Ya We know,But We have to live with that Guy!

Don't know who done it?

But them Signs came down!

Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D

It doesn't sound fishy to me. I don't know about Utah, but some states (like CO and NM) lease the state trust lands to ranchers (or whoever) and allows them then to treat it like they own it, thus allowing them to post it.

Are there any CWMUs in the area? If so, the CWMUs sometimes take chunks of state land to make a more definable boundary. In return, the land owner provides trade lands of the same acreage in a different area. These lands are usually marked with the CWMU yellow signs. They are still public land and you have a right to be there, but you can't hunt the species the CWMU is authorized to hunt.

In Oregon ranchers can lease state land but it is still considered public but the ranchers wont tell you that, do your homework.

Not a cwmu. Thanks guys, found the offices for the county recorder. Looks like I'll be making a stop in on my way hunting this week.

>It doesn't sound fishy to me.
> I don't know about
>Utah, but some states (like
>CO and NM) lease the
>state trust lands to ranchers
>(or whoever) and allows them
>then to treat it like
>they own it, thus allowing
>them to post it.

+1, better clarify with the state first cause this it very well could be leased to a private individual and you would be trespassing...
Made the mistake myself once, glad the landowner was understanding, I was only scouting...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

I don't know about all the other western states, but in Wyoming just because a rancher leases a piece of state land for grazing rights doesn't allow him to post it because his rights are just to put animals on it.

NVBighorn is right about what will happen if the state get title to the federal land. If the State of Utah gets control of these lands, our hunting will become like Texas. You will be paying to get on any state owned land that has not been sold.
If the property you're looking at is state school trust lands, it can be leased or sold. The land is designated to benefit the schools in Utah. By law, the land is supposed to be used to provide the maximum amount of revenue for the schools. Of course, that's not always what has happened in the past. A few years back, the State School Trust Land Administration swapped and leased lands below market.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-13 AT 10:15AM (MST)[p]"NVBighorn is right about what will happen if the state get title to the federal land. If the State of Utah gets control of these lands, our hunting will become like Texas."

Actually I am pretty sure if you draw a tag on any of the state owned lands in Texas you just have to pay for the tag.

BUT if the state of Utah ( or nevada) takes over the federal land the ONLY way they can economically manage the lands is by selling off large tracts of land and getting the money plus getting them on the property tax roles. Their favorite example is that Utah has the lowest amount of money spent per pupil on education in the nation with 70% (I forget the exact numbers here) federal land. North Dakota spends the most per student with only about 5% federal land. What they fail to mention is that north Dakota is like 94% privately owned.

Seriously, Google Utah HB148 and think about it in those terms. It should scare the crap out of you!

Yes, the state does sell and swap lands, but all of that is recorded per the laws regarding real estate. The county recorders may not be up to date on their record keeping, but most are. And if those "No Trespassing" signs have been there a long time, you can bet that what they currently have is up to date.

I made my original suggestion because I have had a similar experience. I found a piece of BLM land that bordered Forest Service land to the east and private land to the north and there was a no trespassing sign posted on the fence between the BLM and FS properties. I checked with the Iron County Recorder's Office to verify what the maps told me. I was correct, so I decided to hunt that piece of BLM land behind the sign. One day I went up there to scout and there was a guy camped in the little clearing next to the fence on the FS property. To help him out I told him about the sign, but he got mad because he said that he was the owner and I better not trespass. I told him I had checked with the county, but he insisted that their maps were wrong and that his family had owned that land for generations. He then got rather beligerent and I didn't want to argue with him so I told him that I would go back to the recorder's office to get to the truth. He really got angry then, so I left and I left the sign. I verified it a second time and I still hunt that property, but I park my vehicle about a 1/4 mile away on FS land.

In AZ, all State Trust Land is posted "No Trespassing" in big bold print and "without written permission" in the fine print. Your hunting license is the written permission to trespass. Keeps all the riffraff out.

I was told by a reputable hunting consultant that all state land allows access for hunting in Utah. Some states (like Colorado) lease it out, but in Utah any leases still allow hunting access.

Does anybody know if this is true?

Grizzly

PS. Tristate, please be an adult and respect my wishes that you do not respond to any of my posts. I, in turn, will do you the courtesy of not responding to any of yours. I simply do not wish to converse with you.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-13 AT 07:24PM (MST)[p]I lease a road from the BLM and have every right to put a gate or chain across it. I don't but I could if I wanted to. That right costs me about $1600 every 10 years.

That money is paid to you {American Citizens} the rightfull owners.

Those rules were put in place by the people you {Anerican Citizens}
said could make those rules.

It is aslo my responsability to maintain the road.

GPS apps, county, state, or even federal maps generaly only show ownership. Not any leases that may be in place that would disallow the general public acess.

Try setting up a hunting blind right next to an oil well owned by Exon that is on land owned by the BLM.

Better check before you take any sighns down.

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-13
>AT 07:24?PM (MST)

>
>I lease a road from the
>BLM and have every right
>to put a gate or
>chain across it. I don't
>but I could if I
>wanted to. That right costs
>me about $1600 every 10
>years.
>
>That money is paid to you
>{American Citizens} the rightfull owners.
>
>
>Those rules were put in place
>by the people you {Anerican
>Citizens}
>said could make those rules.
>
>It is aslo my responsability to
>maintain the road.
>
>GPS apps, county, state, or even
>federal maps generaly only show
>ownership. Not any leases that
>may be in place that
>would disallow the general public
>acess.
>
>Try setting up a hunting blind
>right next to an oil
>well owned by Exon that
>is on land owned by
>the BLM.
>
>Better check before you take any
>sighns down.

good grief.. with all the misspelling in this post, no wonder hunters get pissed at 'ranchers' who think just because they lease public land.. they own it.

happened to me in Wyoming recently. damn leasee put up a gate and lock.. not there anymore. your welcome.

If you are talking Utah, any School Trust lands should be open to public hunting unless they are part of a CWMU. If they are part of a CWMU that CWMU offers a higher percentage of their tags to public hunters or they open other pieces of private land to public hunting elsewhere to make up for it.

In Utah, the DWR pays SITLA hundreds of thousands of sportsmans dollars each year for public hunting access to SITLA lands.

SITLA may also lease it out for livestock grazing, timber harvest, etc, but public sportsmen have leased the hunting rights.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

Reminds me of the fiasco they had up north canyon
In Davis County a few years back. Somebody
Put a gate across a public road. A bow hunter that
Had hunted there for years contacted law enforcement
To get direction. Last I heard when the gate installers
Found out he was gonna chain up to that sumbitch
With his truck and the cops weren't going to do
Anything a deal was suddenly struck to allow access.

If its a public right of way they can't obstruct access.

"The future is large scale auction tags.
The majority of the tags should go up
for auction anually. It MIGHT even be
good to allow second sales of auction
tags as in outfitters purchasing tags
and then re-selling them to the public."
TRISTATE 8/17/2012

So I was able to verify that it is State owned land with the county recorders office. However that's all they could tell me. No idea yet if has been leased or any situation like that.

They should be able to tell which part of the state Gov. runs it.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

get rid of the cwmu s solve the problem,,, in most cases, the gen public is sick of this under table stuff,,,, nobody should be giving our public land away,,, bunch of bs;s cwmus give more tags, god dam they our tags to start with,,,,

Which way were the signs turned? I know of places that are public, bordered by private and forest where the private turns his signs so it looks like the public is no tresspassing.

Second, to the dude that "leases" a road, doubt that gate will hold in court, no matter who maintains the road. Public access, grandfathering, right of ways, etc, glad you don't do it, but read your fine print, you maintain it I bet as condition of lease, and more than likely it discusses right of way, easements etc.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom