Non Res Tag Allocation

Rob

How are tags allocated between Residents and NRs in Colorado? I can't seem to figure that out. New Mexico makes it easy, it's just a percentage. Is there any method Colorado uses?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-10 AT 05:52PM (MST)[p]

Most units are allocated 65/35% res/nonres. For those hunts that have taken at least 5 or 6 points (can't remember which) to get a tag, they are allocated 80/20%.

However, the residents allocation is absolute, they get at least 65 % of tags in normal units unless there are no more residents applying as a first choice. In other words, lets say there are 100 tags, and 100 res and 100 nonres apply. All the res have 0 points and the nonresidents have 10 points. Residents still get 65 tags.

But the residents CAN get more than 65%. Nonresidents allocation is a CAP, not a quota. So you could end up with more than 65% tags for residents. In the same example of 100 res/100 nonres applicants, but say the res all have 5 points and the nonresidents only have 4. In that instance, the residents would get all 100 tags

ALSO, res/nonresident status and preference points ONLY applies to first tag choices. On second choice, a nonresident has as much chance as a resident to get a tag.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>Most units are allocated 65/35% res/nonres.
> For those hunts that
>have taken at least 5
>or 6 points (can't remember
>which) to get a tag,
>they are allocated 80/20%.

Let me just clarify that it is 80/20 in units that take 6 points or more for residents to draw, based on a 3-year average ending with the 2009 draw year. Simple, huh? :)

Should be 50-50,we pay are taxes too.Besides fed land is everbodys land

>Should be 50-50,we pay are taxes
>too.Besides fed land is everbodys
>land

Hey, I am a nonresident too, but that dog won't hunt. The law of the land is that the state owns the animals, not the feds (or for that matter the private landowner's ranch where they may reside) so you are beating a dead horse with that one.

And you are welcome to go on Federal land just like state residents, and hike and camp to your hearts delight, but to take a state animal, you have to pay the state and they gets to make the rules.

They can't ever do without us though, we pay most of the bills.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Whooo Nellie!!!!!!! Don't criticize Colorado. They give out the highest percentage of tag to NRs as any western state.

That said, they did pi$$ me off when they went to 80/20 on units requiring 5 PPs or more, 3 years in a row cause I was chasin something the rule change added 10 years to draw. But overall, they are more fair than anyone. And I include NM who IMO only gives out 10%. Guide tags don't count.

Oh god please don't any uneducated nonresidents biatch about Colorado's NR allocation. They are a nonresident's almighty salvation in a tidal wave of grossly discriminating other states (with a few exceptions like NM). In fact I think they offer too many NR tags and would not complain one bit if they dropped it to 10%.

All residents please ignore the 50% post and have a nice day.

Signed,
Average Joe Nonresident

The only trouble with Colorado is that they change the rules all the time,when I first put in for tags every one was in the same draw including the ranching for wildlife. Now the best units are 80/20. I tured 75 last Sunday, never did get the unit I wanted after 14 years.

The problem isn't the nonresident allocation, it's the preference points pyramid scam that locks out all but the first in good ol' boys club. You know rules are going to change year to year, that's a given. Since rules change year to year, why just make it random draw luck year to year? Some are going to get luckier than others, that's life. But locking out applicants (for life, maybe) due to a difference (big or small) in time applying is just wrong....

I understand your point, but choose to look at the positive. It's nice to have the variety of different state's allocation methods. From open draw like NM to bonus points, to Colorado's system. The good points of the CO system is you do have a pretty good idea if you will draw your unit in advance, based on the prior year. Like me I have 14 lope points and and draw any unit I want and I know I'll get it. Same with many good deer units with just 4/5 points. Only elk is a problem, but that's just they way they are managed. Overall I like Colorado.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom