Non-resident help please

nvguy2

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-13 AT 08:47AM (MST)[p]Hey guys. I want to start building points for elk in another state and am really considering Colorado. I tried looking up draw odds, but was pretty confused as I know nothing as I have never put in over there. My questions are, Am I getting in too late to draw a decent unit over there? How long would it possibly take me to draw a decent unit? I realize you don't have a chance if you don't put in. I don't know how the preference point system works over there. I am going to do more research as I am just starting, but thought I would put a post here and ask one of you Colorado guys to give me some information. Thanks in advance for any help. Almost forgot, I hunt with all 3 weapon choices, but would probably prefer a rifle or a muzzleloader tag, but am not opposed to archery if it is in the rut. Need to look that up right now. Thanks guys.

Unless something drastic changes you will never have a chance at one of the premium units. I would not start collecting points in CO with the mindset of drawing one top units, you will be disappointed.
With that said there are some decent units that you can get with up to 4 points or so.
You can get some great bulls in zero point or OTC units too though...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

fyi, In Colorado the top points gets the tags so no other possibilities like some other states. It is a relatively cheap state to accumulate points compared to most but as said in other posts, unless you are very young and are willing to wait 20 years, don't expect to be drawing a top unit. In general, we have the quantity but not the trophy quality/opportunities of other states.

I would have to know what your definition of quality/decent is? How often you plan to hunt etc...

In all honesty Colorado is just fine for building points and hunting every 4-7 years. If you go beyond that 7ish mark then you get stuck in no mans land and may never draw a tag unless you waste points on a less tag.

For me I can see several tags and hunts for4 points that as a NR would be very cool. For example Muzzy elk. September rut, not always the biggest bulls but great time to be in woods, fewer hunters and always a chance at something decent. Like mentioned Colorado is not known for overall quality, but every year there are bulls over 300 taken in OTC units.

Now if you looking for an opportunity to shoot a 330+ bull after looking over 20+ bulls in a weekend, then you looking at a 20+ year waits right now and with point creep maybe 30+ by the time you build up.

Thanks for the reply guys. I really don't mind waiting for 5,6, or even 7 years. Just want to start accumulating points in another state so that down the road I have another opportunity to hunt bull elk. Obviously, a 330+ bull would be nice since I am coming out of state, but I realize what you are saying to me and I really do appreciate it. That was what I needed to know. What to expect and how long. It sounds like I need to purchase points until about 5 or 6 and then try to burn them. That muzzleloader hunt during the rut sounds very appealing. I have never been to Colorado and want to see some new country. Im already in the game for Utah and Nevada. Arizona wants $150 for a license to earn points and Idaho and New Mexico don't have a point system. That is why I am thinking Colorado. Thanks again a bunch guys.

Drawing a muzzy bull tag in an OTC type unit will take you 3-4 years (2-3 points) generally. Not much trophy potential, but you are in the woods during the rut and with limited muzzy numbers, although you will have OTC bow hunters at the same time.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom