Non-resident Hunting Questions

stacknitup

I looking for some help as to what one needs to do to hunt in Arizona as a youth non-resident. My daughter has taken her hunter safety in Utah, but would like to hunt deer in Arizona. She will be 11 this year, and as so I believe she can hunt being this age. I have read about possibly having to take a non-resident hunter safety course for Arizona. Is this true? Any insight would be great. I have been looking on the fish and game website and I can't seem to find the answers I need. Also what might be a good unit for her to hunt that is close to south Utah. I have always heard about the strip, but do not know if this would be a possibly for her without having any bonus points. Any help would be great.

Yes, youngsters can start hunting big game at 10 as long as they have the HE taken care of. The only reason NRs take the AZ course is to gain an extra bonus point for applying for tags. Otherwise, any state's accredited course is all that is necessary for a NR to hunt in AZ.

A special youth license for kids from 10 to 14, valid for both residents and non-residents, is $15.00. They may be bought only at Arizona Game and Fish offices or through the online license sales website.

A permit for a JUNIORS ONLY hunt is $32.50, but if she applies for a general hunt, her tag will cost $232.75 -- the regular fee for a NR tag.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

There are not currently any juniors only tags for the Strip and probably never will be. She can apply for and probably draw a 12A West (Kaibab)antlerless tag.

Get her the hunting experience and then worry about "big racks." I would probably be safe in saying she will probably never be eligible to draw a 13B (AZ Strip) deer tag as long as we have the 10% non-resident rule.

If she has taken a Utah hunter ed class then she is eligible for a one-day supplemental class that our team teaches twice a year in Kingman.

We got a class this Saturday (January 5) here in Kingman but will be doing another NR class in April, date TBD.

AZ has some great juniors only opportunities for lots big game that aren't that far from you.
ttp://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/343eric_hawkinberry_&_john_ramirez_unit_16_a_2010.jpg
Eric Hawkinberry & his nephew John with a 16A juniors javelina

9708allison_kilroy_18b_11-2010.jpg

Allison Kilroy (Maryland) and her dad with a 18B juniors javelina

2491brian_timmy_&_jack_gunnoe_unit_16a_12-22-2012.jpg

Gunnoe family from Kingman with Timmy's Unit 16A juniors muzzleloader buck

8085joshuataflan_2012_unit_18b_juniors_pig.jpg

Joshua Taflan from Kingman, 18B juniors only javelina

2560dsc00011.jpg

My grandson Logan from Oklahoma with his first big game animal, a javelina taken in Unit 18B fall juniors only hunt.

I encourage you to get your daughter involved in hunting where ever she can get a tag.

Don Martin
Hunter Education Instructor
Kingman, AZ

Don, I seldom post but that is some of the best advice that I have seen on MM. Just look at the smiles on their faces. Thank you sir for your time spent with our youth!

Thanks for all of the great advice. I agree about just getting her out there and hunting. As much as she loves to go with me she has been begging me to give her a chance with her own hunt. I have looked at a lot of the areas to hunt deer and by the pictures that you posted Don I'm thinking we might have to do some Javelina hunting. One last question, out of the units that she can hunt I have looked at a few and read up on some, any thoughts on unit 10? Again I much appreciate the information from everyone.

Unit 10 for juniors deer is a TOUGH hunt most of the time. Suggest you look at the juniors deer hunt in Unit 18B or the December muzzleloader deer hunt in Unit 16A. Both are great hunts for kids.

In the case of Unit 18B, they offer a juniors deer and a juniors javelina at the same time, and it is during the Thanksgiving vacation. I applied my grandson for both tags this year and while he drew only the javelina tag, it was his first big game hunt and it worked out great for all of us!

His javelina hunt only lasted a couple of hours; he dropped the boar with one shot from the prone position at 103 yards with both his dad and I right there with him!

An experience I know I'll never forget!

Arizona is awesome when it comes to youth opportunities! We have to keep our kids in the great outdoors or else hunting will be something that is only read about in the future!

Don Martin
Hunter Education Instructor
Kingman, AZ

Yes Don is right on. The Javelina hunt is a blast if you can find them. 18B would be my pick there are some big bucks in that unit if you can get on them. Wyoming has some good hunts for youth too I think its $110.00 for deer and $110.00 for Antelope.

quest

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom