Noob mistake

H

Hawkk33

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-03 AT 06:52PM (MST)[p]Fellas it just doesnt get any suckier than this. went out this a.m. 2nd to the last day of the season..made some mistakes. Started off with taking a road that was crap but listed as a good one on a map cost me an hour I bet then:

1. chose to lock my vehicle 1st time I have done this (put keys under bumper key to unlock door wasnt on the ring.

2. Followed some of the advice about slowing down when I walk .. got within 75 yards of an area I knew had sign in it (rub trees etc) coughed,farted or burped I forget,. BAM elk blew outta there.

3. When I finished the death march back to my rig I let a bugle go just for the hell of it.. well that sent something in the hill behind my Bronco packing lots of noise I thought it (whatever it was ) was outta there. So then I found out my car was locked for good spent a good 15 minutes cussing trying to get it opened kept the diaphram in my mouth .. kept lightly bugling.. then in the hillside I hear more crashing, thensilence then a dead tree falls over followed by ..You guessed it raking and more of it DOH it was a bull.

When i finally figured out what I was supposed to do I tried a stalk on it . sidehill and I bugled then raked a tree but it either winded me (I swore I paid attention to the wind dir) or that bugling and raking scared it off cuz all I heard was crashing through the timber.

Funny how it stayed in the area where I was making such a racket and oh yeah I had to break that little window to get in.. So livid, I made a rookie mistake with probably the only bull I will get near this I came home to fume.

Man I cant believe my luck or lack thereof

This late in the season. Instead of bugling, if you've located a definate bull, either by hearing him bugle, rake, or by sight. Try drawing him in w/ some cow calls. You won't be nearly as likely to run him off, and from my experience, increase your chances of bringing him in by 10 fold

I agree with OSOK. In my opinion, most people over use the bugle. I mainly use the bugle as a locating device and sometimes not even for that. Cow calling is where its at.

I am gonna rethink all the errors I made this year and come back swinging next year.!!!!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom