Northern Utah

creepingdeath

Hey ya'll,

I might get a chance to hunt deer in N.Utah!! It's still up in the air. I was born there and return very little but dream of hunting mulies in my birth state. My friend hunts there every other year or so with some family that lives there. He asked if I would like to go if he goes this year.

First I think it's in the Grouse Creek area. I think? It's public land. I'm sure..?..

Can anyone please tell me what the dates are for modern firearm season. What unit is this called?? What can a guy expect as far as an averge good buck? I know every unit puts out a total monster every year. But if I did try and hold out for a big buck and everything was just right could a guy score on a 160 class buck.

It'll be my first trip if we go this year. But him and his Brothers and other members of the family know this area well.

What is the terrian like???????????

Anyway thanks for any advice or answers to my questions.

Fletcher

We hunted Grouse Creek last year. LOTS of private land, but a lot of public as well. I ended up getting a BLM surface use map for the area and drawing in all of the CWMU's and all of the private lands open to public hunting. All of that info is on the DWR's website. It came in very handy. Google Earth helped as well. Expect quite a few people but it is a fun area to hunt. Some large mountain ranges with not much cover on them, but lots of deer. Don't overlook these areas. A lot of Cedar and some Pine and Quakies up higher. We hunted 6 days. We seen 100+ bucks. 99% of those were 2X2's. We did see 2 small 3X3's. Out of 3 of us, none of us pulled the trigger. I did see one nice 4X4 that was dead, but he may have been killed on one of the CWMU's. Not many large deer, even on the CWMU's, but that doesn't mean you don't have a chance at one. I just think the chances of a 160" buck in this area of public land is very slim. This is in the Northern Region, Rifle season begins October 18th and ends the 26th. Let me know if you're interested in a map. It took me quite a while to draw it up, but it wouldn't take much effort to transfer it to another map now that I have one done already. Good luck!

I agree with legacy about the Grouse Creek area. I hunted the Simplot Ranch once and the public land twice. One year on public land we saw lots of bucks but almost all were small. The last time I hunted there about 5 years ago, we only saw a few bucks the whole hunt. To me this is a place to hunt if you don't draw any other tags and want to be in the field.

"To me this is a place to hunt if you don't draw any other tags and want to be in the field."

And ironically, that's excactly why I hunted it last year.:) I did dedicated again this year just so I would not have to worry about the possibility of driving 8 hours to chase around small bucks again. I can chase around small bucks minutes from my house!:)

legacy i was wondering if i can get some info. i will be taking my 14 year old nephew hunting this year most likely as my brother will most likely be in iraq.and i will be doing the buck bull combo up in the uintas for my tag but i know that is not the best place to take him for the possibility of getting his first deer. he drew the northern tag and grouse creek was an option of looking at but i have not been up there much so one of those maps would be appreciated

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-08 AT 11:06AM (MST)[p]desertpointbrian, if you're serious, Why don't you buy a BLM land use map for the Grouse Creek area and mail it to me. I can mark it up like mine, and I'll send it back to you. It would be really easy for me to do since I already have one done up.

I sent you a PM.

thanks for all of the info legacy i will get a map and contact you when i do i appreciate it. i will be spending some time up there this year to scout with my nephew so that should help as well

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom