Notice: General muzzleloader elk hunters

ridgetops

Very Active Member
If anyone is planning on hunting the any bull muzzy. You better plan on standing in line, starting around 5am tomorrow or you probably won't get a tag.
My prediction is those 1st season and muzzy tags will be selling out by 10am this year.
It makes no sense at all to have the muzzy tags as part of the 1st season 15k but then have the 2nd season rifle unlimited.
I hope that changes in the future.

I couldn’t agree more Ridge, limiting the least used weapon while having a free for all on rifle tags is baffling.

I couldn’t agree more Ridge, limiting the least used weapon while having a free for all on rifle tags is baffling.
Look what the technology committee is trying to do to muzzys but not long rangers, that is even more baffling!
Thinking of taking scopes from short range weapons and leaving them on the long range weapons in the name of limiting technology to save Deer?
You can’t make this stuff up!!

Must Be Then DAMNED SmokePole Scopes!:D

If anyone is planning on hunting the any bull muzzy. You better plan on standing in line, starting around 5am tomorrow or you probably won't get a tag.
My prediction is those 1st season and muzzy tags will be selling out by 10am this year.
It makes no sense at all to have the muzzy tags as part of the 1st season 15k but then have the 2nd season rifle unlimited.

Shows they're Gonna Sell As Many As People Will Buy!

If They Didn't Get An Archery Tag,what Do You Think They're Gonna Do?

They're Gonna Try & Get a 1st Season Rifle Tag,But What If They Don't Get One?

Then They're Gonna Try & Get A SmokePole Tag,But What If They Don't Get One?

No Worries!

Don't Hurry!

Buy An UN-Limited 2nd Season Rifle Tag!

But AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW The Opportunity!

It'll Be The 2nd Biggest PUMPKIN Patch Of The Year!

Rifle and muzzy have always been the same 15k quota.
Unfortunately you have the same mindset as the wildlife board. Sure, it was no big deal pre-covid(2020), when the 15k tags didn't sell out until Sept. but
the WB didn't take into account that there are several new general season units opening up this year and there are going to be thousands upon thousands of hunters trying to get one of those new unit tags for the early rifle. So they can hunt a limited entry type hunt on a general tag. I will be shocked if even 500 muzzy hunters are able to get a tag today with the high demand for those early season rifle tags. That was definitely overlooked.

Unfortunately you have the same mindset as the wildlife board. Sure, it was no big deal pre-covid(2020), when the 15k tags didn't sell out until Sept. but
the WB didn't take into account that there are several new general season units opening up this year and there are going to be thousands upon thousands of hunters trying to get one of those new unit tags for the early rifle. So they can hunt a limited entry type hunt on a general tag. I will be shocked if even 500 muzzy hunters are able to get a tag today with the high demand for those early season rifle tags. That was definitely overlooked.
Hope I can be one of the 500! I haven't bought a general elk tag in my home state since 2011, I think I bought that one the day before the hunt. No big deal if I don't get one, we'll see...

Also got a tag no problem. Getting a tag is not a concern if you just log in at 8am the day they go on sale. Been that story now the past two years. I was checked out by 8:26 and there were still over 10k tags available....

And... just logged in on my wife's account to check the status as of 9:15. My wait in the queue was no more than 90 seconds or so and there were still 6k tags available.. There is no reason why anyone who doesn't end up with a tag should complain...

Agree

Yep we picked up probably 17 muzzy tags in our group. 9 of them together about 8:45 with no hang ups.

I stood in line first thing this morning at a license vendor and got mine by 830am. Glad they are not selling out too quickly! Seems similar to last year. Looks like anyone that wanted one and tried this morning will be able to get one which is good. If somebody has a 4+ hour window and can get their tag then keep it as is (OTC) regarding the rifle. I don't really have an opinion on the muzzy side but if a guy can get a tag within a half day or more then why change it? Niller convinced me of that line of thinking.

I hope you got your tag @ridgetops ! I am betting that you did

Well I got a muzzy tag, guess I’m in the lucky 500 ???

I hope so that means less competition for Muzzy tags in the field for me

All the new General Season units will be the cluster. With Youth/archery/1st season. I like to gamble I bet second season wont be as busy.
Because majority of the tag holders are doing first season rifle. I could be wrong but I bet the one to have is second season.

Last edited:
The general season elk hunt is a sad state of affairs IMO. It really doesn't feel like they put much thought into it other than maybe calculating how much money they will bring in. Now since it's basically unlimited on not only Archery, but now Rifle, I wonder how long it will be before it gets so bad that people decide to not go? Two years from now it will be a camping permit snipe hunt.

Look what the technology committee is trying to do to muzzys but not long rangers, that is even more baffling!
Thinking of taking scopes from short range weapons and leaving them on the long range weapons in the name of limiting technology to save Deer?
You can’t make this stuff up!!
There is a difference between lots of those muzzys. I helped a guy (and wont do it again) that shot his muzzy bull at 600 yards if I remember right. He shoots his muzzy 100 yards further than my rifle. I can understand scopes on muzzys up to 200 yards. But beyond that, its a rifle, not a muzzy.

There is a difference between lots of those muzzys. I helped a guy (and wont do it again) that shot his muzzy bull at 600 yards if I remember right. He shoots his muzzy 100 yards further than my rifle. I can understand scopes on muzzys up to 200 yards. But beyond that, its a rifle, not a muzzy.
The definition of a muzzleloader is not defined by how far it can or can’t shoot. 200 or 600 it’s still a muzz. Opinions may inaccurately define it.

If You've Been On The South Slope In Recent Years You Know What a FusterCluck it is!

The general season elk hunt is a sad state of affairs IMO. It really doesn't feel like they put much thought into it other than maybe calculating how much money they will bring in. Now since it's basically unlimited on not only Archery, but now Rifle, I wonder how long it will be before it gets so bad that people decide to not go? Two years from now it will be a camping permit snipe hunt.

Yep like a second 9-day rifle season that is unlimited and all youth permits are unlimited also.
And a lot of guys are going archery on the new open bull areas. Now that the multi-season has gone away. They want the first crack at the bulls before the rifle war begins.

All the new General Season units will be the cluster. With Youth/archery/1st season. I like to gamble I bet second season wont be as busy.
Because majority of the tag holders are doing first season rifle. I could be wrong but I bet the one to have is second season.
I would think unlimited second season would out do the 12K or so 1st season. The problem with second season will be very, very few elk that are not on private or out of reach for 99 percent of hunters. Fish and Game knows this that’s why they can sell unlimited tags with very few elk getting killed.

So Ridge…still feel like the sky is falling? Seems like all worked out just like they hoped it would with the changes they implemented.

So Ridge…still feel like the sky is falling? Seems like all worked out just like they hoped it would with the changes they implemented.
I'm starting to think that a lot of hunters didn't even know about the new any bull units opening up. hell, I bet there will be guys hunting the O/S this fall with their spike tags and freaking out when they see a branched antlered bull dropped right in front of them. lol

I stood in line first thing this morning at a license vendor and got mine by 830am. Glad they are not selling out too quickly! Seems similar to last year. Looks like anyone that wanted one and tried this morning will be able to get one which is good. If somebody has a 4+ hour window and can get their tag then keep it as is (OTC) regarding the rifle. I don't really have an opinion on the muzzy side but if a guy can get a tag within a half day or more then why change it? Niller convinced me of that line of thinking.

I hope you got your tag @ridgetops ! I am betting that you did
Actually, I'm sitting out the elk hunt this year. Got plenty of elk meat in the freezer.

Was able to get a tag at 4:45 for my wife. There was still 2600 permit left then.

Wasn't planning on getting her one this will actually be her first big game hunt. She got her hunter safety last year basically to start building points for the future so that she can mentor our kids when they get old enough to hunt.

We will see how she does this year, but it's not a priority kill, just gonna get out with the family and see what happens.

DWR did great listening to hunters. Online, and at vendors.

Took a few years but kudos.

And I'm sure Wally world loved us "test driving" camping chairs for a few hours

The definition of a muzzleloader is not defined by how far it can or can’t shoot. 200 or 600 it’s still a muzz. Opinions may inaccurately define it.
A muzzy hunt needs to be primitive. If you want to shoot muzzys with scopes, then use it on any legal weapon hunts. The new muzzys are a rifle. I would love to see the Wildlife board make thay distinction. Open sights (Sept hunts) vs sighted muzzys (rifle season). But my opinion, of course. Sooner or later, for the sake of fair chase, we have to draw lines in cement and not sand.

A muzzy hunt needs to be primitive. If you want to shoot muzzys with scopes, then use it on any legal weapon hunts. The new muzzys are a rifle. I would love to see the Wildlife board make thay distinction. Open sights (Sept hunts) vs sighted muzzys (rifle season). But my opinion, of course. Sooner or later, for the sake of fair chase, we have to draw lines in cement and not sand.
A muzzloader is a gun loaded from the muzzle, if you want to use a primitive muzzleloader there is nothing stopping you. If your worried about fair chase your barking up the wrong tree. Scopes on a muzzloader is not the issue

I'm starting to think that a lot of hunters didn't even know about the new any bull units opening up. hell, I bet there will be guys hunting the O/S this fall with their spike tags and freaking out when they see a branched antlered bull dropped right in front of them. lol

Simple supply and demand, but not in the way we think about it. If you limit the supply, the demand gets falsely increased. We humans are idiots. We are programmed to think and act this way going all the way back to our hunter and gatherer ancestors.

See water bottles and toilet paper disappearing before they could even hit the shelves during early covid. Tell us something is limited and we’ll lose are damn minds trying to get it, even if we don’t want it.

The changes implemented by the board seem to have worked! I’m not often giving this Board kudos, but I guess I have to on this one.

The quickest I've got my tag in like 3 years now.

Logged in 0755 waited till 0800 and had #966.

By 0817 I had my tag and printed it out. 1st Rifle Bull.

I got spoiled getting the Multi-Season tag 2 years in a row.

Robb

"But it is so unfair! It has to go into a draw!" Remember when people were saying these things?

Man oh man I'm glad I was not in that camp!

I was in that camp and fully admit I was wrong! After some hearty debate with ole Niller I changed my mind. I like the changes the DWR made and I am really glad there are still tags available OTC a full day after they went on sale. Good stuff!

Hey Airborn,
Would you send me the coordinates on the area, or do I need to Venmo you first.?
2013 elk.jpg

Venmo Please

I Don't Need A Booth At The EXPO!

I've Been There Every Year!

I Did Post A Photo Probably Long Before You Knew About MM!

Since then According To MM'ERS I Do Not Hunt!

I'm Good with It!

You’ve been challenged 10k times by now to prove you do. One photo, one story. All it takes brother. I swear you need to get a damn booth at the expo and advertise it as “meet the cat” to prove you aren’t a Russian bot.

Oh we know you love the expo Whoopi!

We know you love supporting the organizations that get millions of dollars to “save” our mule deer, and are responsible for the actual policies you bash on this forum in 20k of your 32k posts. You just blame the wrong people and support those responsible.

You pump up and support the alphabet organizations running our big game into the ground and beeech about the DWR that is subject to their puppet rule. Can’t wait for our pleasure cruise later this year! It will be so fun. You’re buying me a burger somewhere.

I prefer to bowhunt the last few days of the general season archery on the any bull units.

I honestly don't see much of a difference between the last few days of archery season and the October rifle hunt...other than how far people can shoot. There are people on every road, on every ridge, and many of them are bugling from their truck or atv.

I've gotten to the point that I usually leave my four wheeler on the trailer and hike into the deep and steep stuff. If I need it, it's there, otherwise it is a bigger problem than solution. I rarely bugle and seldom cow call. The elk are well ? .

Oh we know you love the expo Whoopi!

Never Said I Loved The EXPO!

We know you love supporting the organizations that get millions of dollars to “save” our mule deer, and are responsible for the actual policies you bash on this forum in 20k of your 32k posts. You just blame the wrong people and support those responsible.

Notta!

I've Told You Who Knows How Many Times It's The Only Legal Gambling I Can Do In DRATville!

Ya

I'm A Poor Gambler!

You pump up and support the alphabet organizations running our big game into the ground and beeech about the DWR that is subject to their puppet rule. Can’t wait for our pleasure cruise later this year! It will be so fun. You’re buying me a burger somewhere.
I Don't & Haven't Supported Their BULLSSHIT Management & Ways Forever!

I've Told You For Decades It's Nothing More Than Money & GREED Related!

In All These Years That You've HATED & BASHED PEAYDAY & His Organization I Haven't Seen any major Changes or Seen You Get Any Changes Made?

You Were Quite Disappointed In The WB & Their Actions again this Last Year?

You Got Anything Fixed Or Resolved With That?

Don't Forget To Bring The Biggest/Most Powerful Glass You Own For THE RIDE Niller!

We'll Need All The Magnification We Can Get!

Hopefully You'll Be Able To Show Me What I Haven't Been Able To See In Years!

You’ve been challenged 10k times by now to prove you do. One photo, one story. All it takes brother. I swear you need to get a damn booth at the expo and advertise it as “meet the cat” to prove you aren’t a Russian bot.
That Russian bot bought (bot bought:LOL:) a bunch of camo from me one time and I shipped it to the basin not Russia.

I bet Bessy has been on M.M. since before you bought/bot you're first big game tag. He has posted photos before and one in particular has been on here several times, a skinned and hanging deer that looks like either a 120mm artillery shell or a zombie went right through the middle of it.

Bess has killed stuff I think. There was an old picture of him with a pisscutter that he was holding with a photoshopped cat head on his. He was on Dutton when Stinky killed his 300" bull that was later photoshopped to 400". I think Q-tip had a pic of him holding a horny toad somewhere.

If you combine all his old banned accounts with his current one, how many posts do you think he has on this website?
More than most of us I’m sure. How many folks have had new accounts because they were banned? I have a different one than I originally had but I don’t remember if it was because I was banned (this ain’t Facebook?).

I was trying to figure out how long I’ve been on here. How long has this site been up? I know I was on here a couple years or maybe more before I moved from St. George and that was in ‘06. That’s been a damn long time, I bet Cass even has grandkids by now?

Hey deadi!

You Gotta Go Back To About 1999!

Most People Don't Know What The Old PUBLIC Forum Was!

I Doubt Founder Misses It!:D

More than most of us I’m sure. How many folks have had new accounts because they were banned? I have a different one than I originally had but I don’t remember if it was because I was banned (this ain’t Facebook?).

I was trying to figure out how long I’ve been on here. How long has this site been up? I know I was on here a couple years or maybe more before I moved from St. George and that was in ‘06. That’s been a damn long time, I bet Cass even has grandkids by now?

Ya Big Wiff!

That Was The Start & The End Of Me Posting Any Pics!:D

Bess has killed stuff I think. There was an old picture of him with a pisscutter that he was holding with a photoshopped cat head on his. He was on Dutton when Stinky killed his 300" bull that was later photoshopped to 400". I think Q-tip had a pic of him holding a horny toad somewhere.

Hey deadi!

You Gotta Go Back To About 1999!

Most People Don't Know What The Old PUBLIC Forum Was!

I Doubt Founder Misses It!:D
I remember the old public days, anyone could post as a guest!

I've seen the old cat on the mountain, I even have a pic of him and me with a dead Big Stinky :D

If the Muzz tags were not part of the 15K then you would have unlimited on the muzz hunt. Most muzz hunters do not want more pressure. The way it is currently set up helps avoid over crowding on the muz hunt. Also, the muzz tags have always been part of the 15k

Yes JakeH!

Remember When you Could Buy your Elk Tag The Night Before Season?
Yep, well when you cut 100,000+ deer tags out of the system over the years a few of those guys turn into elk hunters. (Not saying we should go back to those numbers just making a point)

Right On rman!

I Also Remember you Could Do the Same on a Deer Tag!

I Also remember Some Of The Old Timers Sayin They'd Buy One If They Needed One!:D
I remember that also with the old timers. The ladies in the little towns would buy a tag as needed throughout the hunt to tag a deer harvested to fill the freezer. That was when filling a freezer really meant something when times were tough and money was lean ?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom