NR Bighorn Question

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
So in the even that I don't draw BH here in NM (obviously the likely outcome haha) I'm planning on putting in for BH in Idaho. I wanted to just post here really quick to see if there were any gotcha's or things I should know before applying. Thanks.

Ok...I'm just trying to find out if there's anything I need to know other than what's obvious in the Idaho hunting regs about putting in for Bighorn as a non-res. I've been looking at reports about which units and things like that but I've never hunted Idaho for anything nor have I ever applied to hunt there for anything. Just looking for any guidance that might help. Thanks.

Well for one you will have to buy the license regardless if you draw the tag or not. I have not applied in Idaho for a few years so I'm not sure what the license cost.

No refundable license.

To apply in Idaho, you need to buy a license, pay an application fee and pay the cost of the sheep tag upfront. Should you not draw, the sheep tag fee will be refunded.

NR's are limited to up to 10% of the available tags. The 10% NR limit is reached each year.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I know it's a long shot, but if I'm reading everything correct, it seems Idaho gives you the best odds of drawing of any state if you don't have preference points.

Yeah that's a bummer but I'm willing to pay it for decent odds at drawing for now. I'm still trying to decide whether there's a state that does the preference point system out there that's worth starting to buy points. I'm worried that with point creep, I could potentially never have enough points to draw in the future or that the system would change before I had enough.

Idaho has the best odds...if you are a resident of the state...they gave out a total of 6 NR tags in the entire state for Rocky mountain bighorn last year.. Just a heads up. you can look at the drawing odds on the idaho fish and game page to get a better idea of what your looking at

The non resident fees for sheep in idaho are $2116.50.
If you don't draw they refund all except for application fee.
PB

there are some units in WY that do random tags too just FYI. they are about 1:250 odds. I just moved to ID and odds are much better in ID but the main downfall is that NR license + tag fees due up front and you get to keep that license if you don't draw. There are some units that have really good draw odds but those units are the units in the wilderness that you typically have a very long hike, float trip, or plane ride into the wilderness. If you're ok with that look at 27-1 or if you want to go after a unit with easier access i'd look in the 36 units. good luck. just FYI you can apply for Deer hunts that are classified as unlimited. just something to think about if you're buying the NR license anyway.

>just FYI you can apply
>for Deer hunts that are
>classified as unlimited. just
>something to think about if
>you're buying the NR license
>anyway.

Or you can buy an over the counter tag good for almost the entire state for deer and an OTC tag for elk since you're buying the license anyway, that sheep refund would pay for both tags and a good portion of the trip cost.

For bighorn, I don't care how difficult it is to access the sheep areas...I just want the best draw odds I can find.

>there are some units in WY
>that do random tags too
>just FYI. they are
>about 1:250 odds. I
>just moved to ID and
>odds are much better in
>ID but the main downfall
>is that NR license +
>tag fees due up front
>and you get to keep
>that license if you don't
>draw. There are some
>units that have really good
>draw odds but those units
>are the units in the
>wilderness that you typically have
>a very long hike, float
>trip, or plane ride into
>the wilderness. If you're
>ok with that look at
>27-1 or if you want
>to go after a unit
>with easier access i'd look
>in the 36 units.
> good luck.
>just FYI you can apply
>for Deer hunts that are
>classified as unlimited. just
>something to think about if
>you're buying the NR license
>anyway.

Only 10% of the TOTAL tags can go to NRs, which is where that 6 tag number comes from. I think there were 2 maybe 3 California tags for NR. So...don't worry about which individual hunt offers the best odds. You need to be in the first 6 NRs to be drawn. And then you need to have picked a hunt that the NRs drawn ahead of you did NOT pick. So look at the overall draw odds and pick something about 3 or 4 most popular. Or roll the dice and pick premium, like 11, 37, or 46.

Then hunt deer or elk OTC with that license.

Powder

>For bighorn, I don't care how
>difficult it is to access
>the sheep areas...I just want
>the best draw odds I
>can find.

Regardless of your enthusiasm, the remoteness is a factor to consider. Would you be planning to hire a guide or hunt on your own?

>>For bighorn, I don't care how
>>difficult it is to access
>>the sheep areas...I just want
>>the best draw odds I
>>can find.
>

then you need to look at the montana unlimited units. LOL the units in the frank church are as about as remote as you can get so when i say difficult access i mean unless you plan on taking off a month and hiking in 20 miles just to the start of sheep country...... you will have to hire a pilot to fly you into the wilderness and still hike your ass off or rent/buy a raft plus a charter flight in to float the middle fork and hike up the ginormous rock piles....on top of a $2200 tag + License fee you will start adding up real quick. one more thing to consider is the harvest rates in say 27-1 that has approx a 25% draw odds is close to 25% harvest rates. Idaho does have the best draw odds when you calculate the simple odds but as its been pointed out you have to be one of the first 6 NR drawn. there are approx 1000 NR that apply for sheep each year so your draw odds are more like 1:182 not trying to discourage you but for NR sheep is def not as good a deal as people think. You might consider looking at goats and especially moose approx 1:40 for goats and there are moose units that have a NR real odds at little better than 1:10.

Kimbersig is right on. Most people don't realize how bad the odds are for hunts where the 10 percent NR limit is reached.

Yes, BUT..... 8 or 9 NRs WILL be drawn, and the odds are better for a NR than most states are for a resident. Just don't be suckered in by individual unit odds as per my earlier post. If you are drawn, it would suck to have picked a unit some other NR already picked. It is my understanding all the first pick draws occur first, meaning you will never get a second choice. Someone correct me if I am wrong, I've gotten conflicting answers on this in the past.
Powder

>Yes, BUT..... 8 or
>9 NRs WILL be drawn,
>and the odds are better
>for a NR than most
>states are for a resident.
> Just don't be suckered
>in by individual unit odds
>as per my earlier post.
>If you are drawn, it
>would suck to have picked
>a unit some other NR
>already picked. It is
>my understanding all the first
>pick draws occur first, meaning
>you will never get a
>second choice. Someone correct me
>if I am wrong, I've
>gotten conflicting answers on this
>in the past.
>Powder

You are correct. The only time a second choice has ever been drawn is for moose and that doesn't even happen every year. The way the Idaho draw works at least how it was explained to me is we all apply. Say we all put in for 67(bad ass unit btw). They issue 5 tags there. They go through and draw one application per unit. Then they go back and draw the unit again and again till the tags are drawn. What a NR needs it first to be drawn. So the individual units draw odds do matter in that aspect. Then they gotta hope the NR quota hasn't been met. So really you NR are fighting two different draw odds. Idaho is not like states like NM that draw an application at random and first try and fill first choice. Then second then third choice. The second choice on a sheep application is a waste of time and is impossible to draw. They draw per hunt code so it's like a raffle where the fewer applicants there are the better your chance is of being drawn first.

Idaho is better than other states for draw odds. For NR it's hard as hell as opposed to say NM where is frickin damn near impossible to draw. But for residents such as myself I can enjoy some sheep hunts with as high as 25% odds. :) not to rub it in. Lol.

>>Yes, BUT..... 8 or
>>9 NRs WILL be drawn,
>>and the odds are better
>>for a NR than most
>>states are for a resident.
>> Just don't be suckered
>>in by individual unit odds
>>as per my earlier post.
>>If you are drawn, it
>>would suck to have picked
>>a unit some other NR
>>already picked. It is
>>my understanding all the first
>>pick draws occur first, meaning
>>you will never get a
>>second choice. Someone correct me
>>if I am wrong, I've
>>gotten conflicting answers on this
>>in the past.
>>Powder
>
>
>You are correct. The only time
>a second choice has ever
>been drawn is for moose
>and that doesn't even happen
>every year. The
>way the Idaho draw works
>at least how it was
>explained to me is we
>all apply. Say we all
>put in for 67(bad ass
>unit btw). They issue 5
>tags there. They go through
>and draw one application per
>unit. Then they go back
>and draw the unit again
>and again till the tags
>are drawn. What a NR
>needs it first to be
>drawn. So the individual units
>draw odds do matter in
>that aspect. Then they gotta
>hope the NR quota hasn't
>been met. So really you
>NR are fighting two different
>draw odds. Idaho is not
>like states like NM that
>draw an application at random
>and first try and fill
>first choice. Then second then
>third choice. The second choice
>on a sheep application is
>a waste of time and
>is impossible to draw. They
>draw per hunt code so
>it's like a raffle where
>the fewer applicants there are
>the better your chance is
>of being drawn first.

Are you sure they don't put everybody's names in a hat and start pulling so to speak. That would make much more sense and be "fairer" than doing it by hunt. They would simply pull an app, look at 1st choice if that hunt is already filled no tag if that hunt is not filled they get it. If they are truly drawing by hunt instead than NR trophy species applicants have a right to be pissed off because odds are all of the NR quota would be filled within the first 6 units they pull on sheep.

Yes I'm sure. And I think you mis understand what I'm saying or I said it wrong. They pull one tag per unit. Then they go back and start pulling the second tag for each unit of there is one. Then the third and so on on so forth. They don't pull all the tags for a unit at once. For that reason to give NR a shot. But you are right it is possible for NR quota to be met in the first 6 units of a NR is drawn first in the first 6 units they draw for. . So the units that have a higher number of NR than residents like 11or 37 have better odds of a NR drawing that a resident. So if you look at the draw odds there are constantly 4 units that have more NR apps than residents. So odds are those 4 units will get a NR tag and those units have an average of 200 NR applying so your odds are more like 1:200. That leaves 2 units where a NR has to beat out a resident and do it before more than 2 NR draw. If recommend you go back and look through the history of draw odds and see for your self. Just remember that the simple odds they publish are very deceiving because of the NR quota it's still better than every other state but your still looking at being one of 6 drawn out of over 1000 NRs that apply.

That is how it was explained to me by an idfg employee. I'm not in the room when they draw so I guess I should say I'm sure that's how it is.

Thanks Kimbersig, that is my understanding as well.

The only remaining mystery for me is how do they decide the order of the units in the draw. I assume that too is random, or at least I hope it is.

I would assume it's random as well. If I was a NR and I was hell bent on applying for sheep in idaho( I would be applying for moose then goats tho) I wouldn't apply for 11, 37, or 37a.

>Yes I'm sure. And I think
>you mis understand what I'm
>saying or I said it
>wrong. They pull one tag
>per unit. Then they go
>back and start pulling the
>second tag for each unit
>of there is one. Then
>the third and so on
>on so forth. They don't
>pull all the tags for
>a unit at once.
>For that reason to give
>NR a shot. But you
>are right it is possible
>for NR quota to be
>met in the first 6
>units of a NR is
>drawn first in the first
>6 units they draw for.
>. So the units that
>have a higher number of
>NR than residents like 11or
>37 have better odds of
>a NR drawing that a
>resident. So if you look
>at the draw odds there
>are constantly 4 units that
>have more NR apps than
>residents. So odds are those
>4 units will get a
>NR tag and those units
>have an average of 200
>NR applying so your odds
>are more like 1:200. That
>leaves 2 units where a
>NR has to beat out
>a resident and do it
>before more than 2 NR
>draw. If recommend
>you go back and look
>through the history of draw
>odds and see for your
>self. Just remember that the
>simple odds they publish are
>very deceiving because of the
>NR quota it's still better
>than every other state but
>your still looking at being
>one of 6 drawn out
>of over 1000 NRs that
>apply.

This makes more sense, and it doesn't really matter to me either because I am a resident as well. It does seem it would be slightly more fair(for nr's anyway) if they drew individual apps regardless of hunt #. In that scenario odds would be the same for every NR regardless of hunt choice. For example 1st applicant drawn is NR who applied for unit 11, he would get the tag, 2nd app pulled is a resident who applied for 37 he gets a tag so on and so forth. Once NR quota is filled NR are excluded from the pool. Most of the time a NR would still draw the highly sought after tags even under this scenario just due to overall applicant #'s

>This makes more sense, and it
>doesn't really matter to me
>either because I am a
>resident as well. It does
>seem it would be slightly
>more fair(for nr's anyway) if
>they drew individual apps regardless
>of hunt #. In that
>scenario odds would be the
>same for every NR regardless
>of hunt choice. For example
>1st applicant drawn is NR
>who applied for unit 11,
>he would get the tag,
>2nd app pulled is a
>resident who applied for 37
>he gets a tag so
>on and so forth. Once
>NR quota is filled NR
>are excluded from the pool.
>Most of the time a
>NR would still draw the
>highly sought after tags even
>under this scenario just due
>to overall applicant #'s

Sure is nice to be a resident of Idaho huh!

>
>Sure is nice to be a
>resident of Idaho huh!

Yes it is, and to think I came very close to moving away this spring. Thanks for reminding me lol

The mechanics of our Idaho draw system has been discussed a bunch on here and I think you don't have it quite right.

Each applicant is given a Random Number generated by the computer. Luckiest guy will get number 1. Computer looks at his first choice and if it is available he get's it(even if it's Unit 11 Sheep, since there is only 1 tag). Now the guy who pulls random number 2 steps up and if he asks for Unit 11 Sheep as well, he get's a Unsuccessfull Notice. Second choice doesn't matter. Follow me?

Now, let's say farther down the line your random number of 50 comes up, the only thing that matters as a NR is if there are tags left for your hunt, and wether or not the NR limit of 10%, or not more than one if less than 10 tags avail, has been met for the hunt you applied for and you get your tag. The 10% cap is not "draw wide", it is hunt specific. You won't see 5 NR's in one hunt with only 5 tags, even if they get the first 5 random numbers, but if they all put in for one hunt, likely only the first guy would get a tag.

This is not a fact, but generally when I check to see if NR's are getting screwed by this 10% rule, I find they aren't because they typically draw based on what % of the pool of applicants NR's represent. I think it's fair if NR's only represent 5% of applicants, and draw less than 10% of tags. Now, I think this is changing over time as more NR's drift to Idaho from other states, particularly in the hard to draw LE hunts.

>The mechanics of our Idaho draw
>system has been discussed a
>bunch on here and I
>think you don't have it
>quite right.
>
>Each applicant is given a Random
>Number generated by the computer.
> Luckiest guy will get
>number 1. Computer looks
>at his first choice and
>if it is available he
>get's it(even if it's Unit
>11 Sheep, since there is
>only 1 tag). Now
>the guy who pulls random
>number 2 steps up and
>if he asks for Unit
>11 Sheep as well, he
>get's a Unsuccessfull Notice.
>Second choice doesn't matter.
>Follow me?
>
>Now, let's say farther down the
>line your random number of
>50 comes up, the only
>thing that matters as a
>NR is if there are
>tags left for your hunt,
>and wether or not the
>NR limit of 10%, or
>not more than one if
>less than 10 tags avail,
>has been met for the
>hunt you applied for and
>you get your tag.
>The 10% cap is not
>"draw wide", it is hunt
>specific. You won't see
>5 NR's in one hunt
>with only 5 tags, even
>if they get the first
>5 random numbers, but if
>they all put in for
>one hunt, likely only the
>first guy would get a
>tag.
>
>This is not a fact, but
>generally when I check to
>see if NR's are getting
>screwed by this 10% rule,
>I find they aren't because
>they typically draw based on
>what % of the pool
>of applicants NR's represent.
>I think it's fair if
>NR's only represent 5% of
>applicants, and draw less than
>10% of tags. Now,
>I think this is changing
>over time as more NR's
>drift to Idaho from other
>states, particularly in the hard
>to draw LE hunts.

Same wavelength BPK you just explained it better. They essentially go by applicant not by hunt. And yes I have understood all along that second choice is irrelevant, that is why I never bother with a 2nd choice on any app.

Just to clarify BPK you aren't saying the 10% cap is per hunt on sheep and goats? The 10% cap is for the species since there are fewer than 10 permits in each hunt for goat and sheep(except 27-1). That comes straight out of the book on page 36. And actually its UP TO 10% of the tags per species. and a fun fact for moose is its 10% of the total moose tags. Not 10% bull and 10% cow.

The 10% cap is species wide and hunt inclusive at the same time. For any sheep,goat or moose tag with less than 10 tags NR's may only draw 1 of those tags per hunt. In addition to that there is an up to 10% total cap per species. Hope this helps

It wasn't always like this. It used to be per hunt, with no more than one tag for NR if less than 10 total tags in that unit. So...since most units had 2 to 4 tags, and a NR was almost guaranteed to draw one of them, the actual percentage going to NR well exceeded the 10% rule. Hence the change to species-wide quota, which is a huge benefit to residents.

>It wasn't always like this.
>It used to be per
>hunt, with no more than
>one tag for NR if
>less than 10 total tags
>in that unit. So...since most
>units had 2 to 4
>tags, and a NR was
>almost guaranteed to draw one
>of them, the actual percentage
>going to NR well exceeded
>the 10% rule. Hence
>the change to species-wide quota,
>which is a huge benefit
>to residents.

How long ago was this?

It was explained to me by IDFG that each hunter is assigned a number. They randomly start drawing numbers until hunts our filled. Once they hit that 10% on NR the rest of tags go to resident.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom