NR Carry while hunting

EVILNR

Very Active Member
I'm a NR of NM and have my Concealed Carry license in my home state which is not recognized by NM.
I see that open carry is allowed in NM, but I'm wondering does that imply
that NR's can also open carry?
I've been all over the USACC website and dont see anything specific regarding
this.

I'm a NR of NM and have my Concealed Carry license in my home state which is not recognized by NM.
I see that open carry is allowed in NM, but I'm wondering does that imply
that NR's can also open carry?
I've been all over the USACC website and dont see anything specific regarding
this.
As far as I know, anyone of legal age can open carry in NM. I have my CC in Texas (not needed now) and have always open carried while hunting in NM. The 3 nice encounters I have had with G&F Officers, it has never even been questioned. You should be good.

If a business posts signs, no weapons, then they can legally kick you out/not let you enter (many are posted). If no signs, it's legal to open carry in a store, although there are nuances like liquor stores I don't think it's allowed. And I'm pretty sure bars/restaurants that make 50% income from drinks you can't open carry. And schools are gun-free zone, including universities.
Also, as instructor taught in CC class even though it may be LEGAL to open carry in stores, restaurants, etc. you're likely to receive A LOT of unwelcome attention from employees, security guards, police, etc.

+1 @smarba add public transportation (bus, train) and government buildings (maybe just courthouses?) Definitely stay away from liquor.
CC used to be a petty misdemeanor (like jaywalking) but I think that changed when we got a licensing program.

I wouldn't open care in cities and stores. There are many good reasons to choose conceal carry over open carry in cities and stores. I've also switched to more concealed carry while I'm in the woods because my gun will be better protected from dust and rain.
The challenge for a nonresident visiting NM are the laws are always changing.
USCCA has an easy to use website.
I'll just take a few minutes to educated myself before visiting a state I haven't been to for a while. Just be careful of new laws that could be passed.
If you have a Utah CC license that isn't recognized in NM, consider getting a second CC license that will give you options in other states. Idaho or Texas are a couple states that wouldn't be a bad second option for Utah residents. CC classes don't take much time or money and I think they are a fun way to spend an afternoon.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom