NR experience drawing deer tags

Chow_Hound

I understand that the way the draw works (with 5 choices), there's no way to figure out draw odds. I am looking at applying for archery hunts where the odds are listed between 3 to 1 and 7 to 1, and using all 5 choices. Wondering how often people who have done similar have actually been able to draw (excluding 2012 where they increased the tags). Assuming quotos go back down to normal, will I pull a tag every 4 or 5 years or is it worse than that?

Thanks

My son drew 5th choice on the first go round for him and that was for rifle. It took me three years for rifle. I'd assume that archery may be a little better but that's dependent on tags available and entrants. One just needs to put in and hope for the best. I would guestimate it won't be worse than every four or five years. Probably better.

It depends on the unit. We're NR and my buddy and I pooled our points together to get a 231 muzzy tag back a few years ago. I think I had 10 and he had 6...averaged down to 8. You could draw nearly every or other year if you pick the right hunts or likely never if you go for the 221-223 late rifle deer hunt.

If you don't put in for the units that draw all the attention you can all most guarantee a tag every year,put down the rubies as your last choice,or wait for the second draw and apply for one of the hundreds of left over resident rubie tags.
Back when I wanted to hunt Nevada every year I did buy putting in for lesser units and buy getting archery tags in the second draw, hunted area 6 and 17 by drawing second draw leftover resi tags two years in a row.

I agree with the above posts. My problem is when I get to 4 PPs, I get greedy. That results in applying for tougher tags and drawing about every 8-10 years. And that's when I get frustrated and put in a "lesser" or two choices and get something I think is less quality than my points deserved.

But that is all my fault. I'm the one that does the application, so I have myself to blame.

Still the best system around IMO.

Chow, I would say you could draw a tag once every three years on average if applying for units with odds of 3 to 1 or 4 to 1. However, with a bonus point system it's random. You could draw more or less frequently than that also. By applying for archery, versus muzz or rifle, you're definitely going to be hunting more often though.

Nevada is great but I wouldn't say they have the best point system around. Look at some of the sheep draw odds. I've often wondered how it would feel to have 20 points and not draw while a guy with zero does. I guess its great if you're the guy with lots of luck though.
I prefer the preference point system simply because tags are more evenly distributed and its far easier to anticipate the year you're actually going to pull a tag. At least for me it makes it easier to plan each hunt when applying for multiple western states.
That said, each system definitely has its pros and cons though.

it took me 12 yrs to get my 1st deer tag in NV....hope it dont take 12 more..

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-13 AT 08:06PM (MST)[p]for the most part yes it was worth it, i wish i had more time to scout to have taken it to the next level,but no complaints with either buck my brother or i took
7795sam_0088.jpg

8362sam_0150.jpg

Nice buck t-a!

I have drawn 3 tags in the last 10 years as a non-ressy.

2 bow tags and one 3rd choice muzzy tag....

Robb

In the past 9 year5s I have had the pleasure of drawing the same unit 3 times as a non-resident, all "any legal weapon" hunts. Cant say I've killed any real monsters, but I have seen a few there. What I like about my NV hunts is that I have gotten to know this particular unit fairly well now and know that I can count on taking a descent 4x4 whenever I draw. Rather than waiting years and years to maybe get lucky and draw a "premium" area I have chosen to hunt more often in a lesser unit. Although 30 inch booners arent around every corner here, I cant complain about any of my hunts in this area. I always see good bucks and have chances to at least stalk some bigguns. It is simply a QUALITY experience that I can count on having every couple of years. The bucks shown below are the three I've taken...all have come from the same bench on the mountain and have fallen withing several hundred yards of each other.

822nevada_1.jpg

3656nevada_2.jpg

4603nevada_3.jpg

Very nice highsierra looks like you have a good plan.Your right some times it's better to hunt then wait years for one tag.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom