Oak Creek anyone?

sjhgraysage

Very Active Member
Has anyone been up to look at the feeding station lately?
Was considering making a family weekend trip to see elk and visit some friends in the area, and wondered whats going on at Oak Creek.

I went to the Oak Creek feeding station last Monday. The count at feeding time was 863 elk with 77 branched antler bulls and 19 spikes. A couple bulls would probably go 350 or better. Also down at the sheep station I counted 36 sheep up on the hill with a couple of nice rams. Regardless of what kind of bulls you want to see it was a pretty cool experience. Feeding time was at 1:30 p.m.

I swung by on my way home from Christmas with my son in Boise. There were a pretty good number of elk, by no means peak. A lot of good bulls but one that was phenominal, by far the biggest bull I have ever seen down there. This bull would easily go 365+, he had everything.

Coon

Interesting subject. do any of you guys that visit the feeding stations have opinions on feeding "wild" elk? Seems to be counter the fair chase principals. . .

Just curious as to what you guys thought about elk feeding stations. . .

Wow have not ran across this one. I would have to say I agree with the feeding station in the area. We have destroyed so much of the wintering ground in Washington it is pretty pathetic. I see without the feeding station there would be less elk. And a many many more wildlife complaints, crop damage, fence damage ect. What does a feeding station have to do with "fair chase?" Nobody is allowed to hunt when the elk are at the station. They do not even come out of the high country until the snows come. Do you actually think the elk are less "wild" because they are supplemented during the winter months? If we did not build cities in the wintering areas we probably would not be feeding the elk. Shame on us for not protecting these important areas for wildlife. But whats done is whats done and we cannot change it. Do you have a better idea for preserving a healthy elk herd? it is not just the hunters that support the feeding station.

Tfinal,
The area that these elk are fed in is just above some of the most productive orchard area in central washington. As the years have gone by more and more land has been put into agriculture such as apples, pears, peaches and cherries, it has taken over potential winter range and the orchardists won't put up with elk in their orchards destroying the trees, fences, etc. This is also near the largest herd of elk in washington.
As far as fair chase, I don't think feeding these elk in winter affects it very much. These elk are usually no where near the feed station during hunting season. They are in some of the most rugged country in the state. One of our mm members had a special any bull muzzleloader license for the "rimrock" area upstream from the feed station, this past fall, hunted almost the entire season, saw some elk, got about plum worn out, but never fired a shot. It is IMHO about as fair chase as it can possibly be.

we had a hard time even finding elk in the bethel unit during last years muzz general season. i don't think there's any huge population of elk in that unit till the big snow flies, and then there's no seasons open in there.
it was tore up from the rut, lots of wallows and trees tore up, but they don't have any general archery tags in there either.

It does tend to collect all the big bulls in one place so they can be subsistence hunted while feeding on hay...

"Subsistance hunted" thats funny. Any way back to the question. Those elk are pretty wild. I used to feed at one of the feeding stations in the Yakima area quite a bit. If you got off of the feed truck and onto the ground those elk would take off. They were very spooky of anyone not on the truck. Those elk are very wild. Not tame at all
AKCATHUNTER

In the Spokane area we just got a big dump of snow over the weekend, it was heavy and wet,about a foot deep, on top of what we already had. What about your area????

Well we went this past weekend. Had real nice weather on Saturday and went to the Oak Creek station. Lots of elk, probably around 80 branch antlered bulls including a couple that would be shot just about anywhere in the country. It was a fun family weekend.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom