Off-season reads

salsola

LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-14 AT 10:38AM (MST)[p]I have been picking up a few good books to read while passing the time. Here's one about old-time hunting in the Gila that I thought others might like:

]
IMG_20140412_100141_zpsga1kgrcb.jpg
[/URL]

It's a memoir of sorts by an old time rancher in Catron Country. He lost his left arm in a hunting accident in 1888 and THEN starting hunting grizzlies in the Gila with hounds and horses. I'm about 1/4 of the way through. Surprising, he hasn't mentioned elk or wolves-- although I'm sure they were both still roaming the Gila then. Lots of black bear, grizzly bear and deer anecdotes, but the lack of elk kind of puzzled me. Maybe the Merriam's elk were never that prevalent?

Anybody got good reads they want to recommend?

I would give Dutch S. a call at High Lonesome Books here in Silver... He has a ton of good books like this...

J-

That would be a cool book to have for the collection.

If you like fiction, Michael McGarrity's books are based in NM, of course Louis Lamour, another writer that I have been listening to lately is Ivan Doig, his books are based in MT mostly, but, good writer with outdoor themes.

Salsola, that is an awesome book. Been way too long since I read it. May just have to go dig that ol beauty out again :)

Off the top of my head, check out ol Ben Lilly's compiled journals, "Tales of Lions, Bears, and Hounds" if I remember correctly, and Seton's "Wild Animals I Have Known" as well if ya get a chance.

Check out these two on-line oldies from W.T. Hornady as well if ya like:

http://www.archive.org/stream/campfiresondeser00hornrich#page/n3/mode/2up

http://www.archive.org/stream/campfiresincanad00hornuoft#page/n0/mode/2up

Thanks for the reminder on Mr. Grizz, and happy reading!

I would have to second Michael McGarrity for a NM and mystery author. Did some work for him a year ago, decent fellow, and strong 2A supporter!

If you can find one; any of the Jim Corbett (the hunter of man-eater) books.

thanks for the recommendations! im always looking for books like these. i don't know if i am crazy or what but amazon has Meet Mr. Grizzly for $162.90 new and $79.94 used??? those are some non resident prices for a book...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom