Offrange Oryx near the Stallion Range

crazyelk

Thus far, I was out hunting offrange Oryx on opening weekend earlier this month. We did see 4 of them offrange just north of Stallion. They were about 200 yards from the boundary. Once they saw me at about 1000 yards, they ran to the Stallion fence and under they went. Once they were about 100 yards onrange, they stopped and gave me the hoof.

My two boys were out with me that weekend. Once of my primary goals was to show them some Oryx. Now they want to pet on real bad.

So here are my questions:

I know there is a onrange hunt this weekend on the Stallion. Many say that if you hunt off range any weekend plan you hunt the same weekend the OIL hunts are going on. Has anyone been out offrange adjacent to the Stallion Range when a hunt is going on? If so what kind of experience did you have with Oryx movements offrange? Was there some good pushes of Oryx offrange that weekend? Or is the weekend after better? Any insight or suggestions or other suggested areas would be great.

If I get out there this weekend, I plan to hunt around the north boundary. I found a decent area where Oryx have been crossing back and forth and plan to get to high vantage point and glue the binos and spotting scope to my eyes until we see the "red dots" like we see on the video games on the Play Station and then game on.

Let me know what you guys think about this gameplan.

Thanks in advance
Crazyelk

Crazyelk,

I believe I talked to you on the 2nd. I was in the lifted duramax. I got my off range orxy on the 1st and was looking for quail and deer.

I was not off-range but my daughter had an on-range hunt this time last year. We went to the north fence and seen a small orxy getting away from us cross to the off-range part. Soon after that is when I noticed 2 off-range hunters field dressing there kills.

I would say you have a great game plan.

30inchbuck,

I thought it was you. Cool. I could not remember your MM and bowsight handle that day. How did you deer hunt go? Not much quail ha?

I have not been out there since that weekend. Hopefully try to get out there Saturday. Throwing out my back has complicated things a little. Right now I am laying on ice. We shall see how I feel.

Did you see any more Oryx after we talked? We just saw those four and that's it.

If we get out there before it's over, I will let you know how it went. Thanks for you input.

Did not even see a doe. Oh well got my oryx. Did find some quail not many but a few.

Been there done that with the back it is not good.

And no did not see any oryx - had to go home on Saturday morning - work related.

crazy, whats up, you must be gettin old man with that back problem and stuff jk actually im also in therapy for my back as well, too much snow shoveling, I didnt know you have a tag for off range oryx, I'm trying to go for offrange ibex and barbary in the next couple weeks, how long is your hunt, i'll try and call the office on Fri. nmbighorn

Hey Mister C. Give me a buzz today at the office, I'll put you in contact with a friend who may be able to point you in the right direction. Your plan does sound good though.

You definitely want to be there this weekend! I hunted Stallion last January and saw several Oryx close to the North fence. It just takes the right pressure to get them to cross. I have a cousin hunting there tomorrow and he will probably follow my advice and hunt that section of the range...he usually takes my advice.:) He isn't a very good shot...so likely he will push something your way!!(I sure hope he reads this post)

Beautiful animals...Happy Hunting!

Dang it guys! Never made it out this weekend. My back is feeling better, but still not that good. It's been a long day of thinking about the hunt. There was probably hundreds that crossed to my side of the fence. Man after 18 years, finally draw a oryx tag. Then my dang back goes out. Hopefully I will feel better later this week and give it a go next weekend. The weather was great this weekend too. Next weekend it's suppose to turn bad. Double dang it. Time will tell for alot of things. Stay tuned.

Anybody that may have some tricks up their sleeve, let me know for next weekend.

Thanks to all that have provided insight thus far.
Crazyelk

Francisco

Hope your back gets better.My dad did the same thing shoveling snow about a month ago.Had to go get an injection.Hes alot better now.Hopefully you get a chance to go get you an oryx.

Fran..

hope ur ready to go out soon! and hope to get u a oryx! hope u talk to nmhuntnutt.

and we didn't kill cow unit 51...friend missed 4 cows! oh well!!

vinihunt

Crazyelk,

I was reading your offrange oryx post and noticed you hunted north of the range. I drew offrange for this month and hunted north of the range this weekend, but didn't see anything. Can you share some insight on where to find them offrange? How did your Jan. off range hunt go? Any help would be greately appreciated.

rec63,

Hunting Off Range Oryx is real hunt. Especially if you were out this past Saturday. The wind was blowing pretty hard. I'm sure those Oryx were hunkered down most of the day which made them hard to find. I myself was in Socorro with my son who was participating at the State Science Fair at NM Tech. We had a few hours to burn, so I took the rest of the family out towards the Stallion for a ride to get them familiar with the area. My son who was at the State Science Fair drew his OIL at the Stallion next January, so I thought I would show my wife the vecinity ares where we would be hunting. There was a bunch of cars and buses coming out of the Stallion. I think they had some kind of tour at the Trinity Site.

After hunting off range a limited time, I did learn some stuff. I hunted the first few days fo January, then my back went out in the middle of the month long hunt. I finally made it back out there for the last part of the hunt with my neighbors who also had a tag and learned some new county and hunted it hard.
We noticed several areas where Oryx cross back and forth. We figured that the Oryx spend most of the time on Range and they do have a purpose to come off range for various reasons. Catching them when they coming back and forth is the hard part.

My neighbors and I finally brought home to great Oryx meat. Not exactly the way you would draw it up on the chalk board though. On our last day out there on the way out, we check one more area an found an Oryx stuck on the Stallion fence, alive and hurt pretty bad. We proceeded to call the proper officials at WSMR (Gilbert V.,Thanks Man!) With his proper guidance and advice, a NMGF officer was dispatched to the scene in less than 1/2 hour. The officer had to put the Oryx down himself since the the stuck oryx was mostly on range. He then sold it to us for a very fair price. The Oryx meat was a great consolation for an unsuccessful off range hunt.

rec63,I will send you an email or PM you with my phone number. You can call me so we can talk over the phone. I will share my limited knowledge about hunting Oryx offrange. This offer also applies to other MM members. Shoot me a PM.

Crazyelk

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom