OK here's son's antelope hunt................

R

RACKMASTER

Well after hitting Reno's Cabela's to load up on Smores and gas for $3.63 a gal and a quick buffet!
We get to the area I wanted to be and this is 5:30 pm Friday and shooting start Saturday, right off I see 40 stinky's about 3 miles away (good bino glass!)however only 1 mature buck and a sub adult who's trying to peel away a half dozen does(figured rut is soon and herd buck ran off all others and was not really bothered by me and my son however the other 140 eye balls were and they moved off slowly in opposite directions. We see a watering hole and will camp 3 miles away in small turn out off road...gets dark were hungry so I cook hot dog I have bun's. dogs and chile con carne in metal cans no bowls, plates spoon's....I did have a pot, stove, propane, and a ice full of sodas, lunch meat, mayo, Ketchup! so we heat chile(eat out of can with a fork), hot dogs and eat with ice cold soda... bugs every where and Kevin my son hates bugs!
Clean up hit the hay....no pillows no sleeping bags!!!!!!!!
I find compressed down bag!
Son starts snoring to loud "KEVIN TURN OVER" he hears this offend all night!
I don't even know when we got to hunting I guess 5:40 am..
eat cereal with milk, OJ, banana him...I pound two MONSTER DRINKS!
Get to road and start walking in to water hole and the antelope are their but already moving away as they are looking back the other way the Herd BUCK is dead last and just keep drooling over his Hiram and all that tang! I see a Quad parked about 300yards away and two guy in camo perpindular to us.. Crap that's the morning! My son thought it was cool watching the herd get worked by the buck... man he works his arse off dad he said..
to make a long story short it was hot 95 deg during day little wind and we were driving all day the find the evening hunt and decided to crawl for 2 hours (in shorts forgot pants ..both of us!) and hunt the water so we head that way.
As soon as we hit dirt i see 2 does about 1/4 mile away and ask him if he wants a doe and he said no!
I drive on still looking at does and I see more Antelope and 8 more and a see a "Black Shine" and stopped "BUCK KEVIN " get the rifle and get out slowly leave door open I say....
I get out and go around and grab shooting bag on a sage bush and tell Kevin to shoot him from there..I know it 290/300 yards shot!
so I say shot the buck ....Kevin.... he waiting for me to give him ear plug and lucky for him I have muff's that fell out of truck when I got out and I half ass-ed put them on him he stops and adjust them..(I'm crapping chocolate cup cakes!). will you please shoot that rifle good hold on fur and shoot ..buck's waling away! ahhhh man I thought! BANG..slap! a hit I thought but it did a trot like nothing but slow HIT HIM AGAIN I SAID! BANG the buck hunched up (gut shot I thought!) he went about 30 yrs and rolled on his back... down antelope never get up! dead buck ya! I went back to looking for him and lost him while congrats to son. crap where is he????
so told Kevin to put 2 bullets in rifle I grab a knife and tell him to follow me and so we walk and start the sweep, start high and work right then down and work left..crap nothing! Down antelope never get up I though and we are now in the shadows
I SEE ABOUT 35 yards in front of me dead and I talk to my son because want him to find him! Kevin work up as I slow.. come on man we need to find him I say loud ..keep looking he got to be close...Kevin dam near steps on him...
happy kid!
we drag about 100 yrs and I am wiped.... I nice guy and his wife stop and helps ..he gets his quad off and tosses the buck on top and drives to road... thanks and congrats every where..they leave I gut him (waited because of dirt)..son ask hat's that smell? I said something you will never forget!
The whole field dressing thing set him back! its 8:29 and 82 deg!
we load truck I make it to Reno gas and ice up the buck and rocket run home! I skinned him and now taking him to meat locker in a few minutes because they only open for hunters between 4 and 6 pm on Sundays!
rackmaster and KEVIN

48b1e729196c08af.jpg

48b1e7b81c8cc2a2.jpg

48b1e87f503c36ca.jpg

whats that smell? lol dont ya love it ,,,, good job you guys u give in wayyy to easy rack my ol man has made me clean everything since i was big enough to learn how lol

You forgot sleeping bags and pants ???? What a dork.....prolly had KY and condoms though....priorities I guess.

Good buck, congrats...

JB

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-08 AT 09:25PM (MST)[p]What, no picture of your ugly mug Rack? Congrats to the kid, but hope that he learned not to depend on the old man for the clothes and bedding.

Should have got that hide off so hope that it doesn't taste bad later.
Rack, which hunt did Kevin draw to hunt in this year?

Brian

I think JB summed it up pretty well! LOL! Brian, his son had an apprentice tag. East of Susanville, I forget the zone #.

Nice shooting Kevin! Great story! There sure are a lot of bugs in that part of the country! When the antelope are in the rut, the bucks always stay back and follow the does! The buck will almost always be the one in back, when they're on the move.

Eel

JUDAS PRIEST!!!

NICE BUCK!!!

I HOPE THE BOY LEARNS HOW TO TAKE CARE OF HIS DAD!!!

I'LL GUARANTEE YOU ONE THING JACKMASTER!!!

YOU'D ONLY FORGET YOUR PANTS & SLEEPING BAG ONCE IF YOU HUNTED HERE!!!

GOOD GAWD CUPSY!!!

I JUST SPEWED MY MT DEW ALL OVER THE KEY BOARD!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Nice buck and great story. It sounds like the kid will never forget this hunt.I just hope he reminds dad next time to throw in the sleeping bags and pants.

Look's like your boy did good,first hunt of the year or do you guy's go hard core?? he-he. nice story too, have a good season!!
Mike

thanks everyone!
it was fun..however I hate the heat! can't wait for 30degree temps and glassing for deer!
that antelope was 88lbs of just meat and bones in meat locker..thats huge!
picture really don't do it justice! not to hard core! he would have done what ever it took though!
rackmaster

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-08 AT 10:23PM (MST)[p]Congrats! Hopefully the first of many...

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Good story and pics Rack.. Congrats to Kevin for getting a nice buck. It's a funny thing about antelope,, nobody ever tells you about that smell. I thought the first one I shot had something VERY WRONG with him.. second one was just as wrong. Yep they give the gift that keeps on giving as you get that wonderful antelope essence for weeks..

Good Job Kevin, looks like a pretty nice buck. I know it hard working with your dad on a hunt like that now next time you WILL be the one that gets all the stuff together so you will be able to eat and sleep with out discomfort LOL.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom