? on 63-2 antelope

BCS

just curious if anyone on this forum has been out in this unit??? i have never drawn an antelope tag in the states i hunt (idaho, oregon)and thinking about picking a buck tag up for 63-2, or trying to get one....my questions are is there adequate public land (BLM and state) or is it mostly private....if there is a lot of blm, is it checker boarded with private and hard to access??? what is the antelope quality and numbers??? this unit is all of unit 63 east of buzzard road... is there any tips or strategies on getting a leftover tag, i know there are first come first serve...

thanks you for any help that is offered, i will gladly exchange info on eastern oregon, and idaho...

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-12 AT 02:20PM (MST)[p]The east side of the unit where the Type 2 tag is good is at least 75% accessible public land, not checkerboarded, and there are big chunks of BLM once you go south into Carbon County. I have no idea why there are so many tags left, but a guy should be able to fill a tag with a few days of hunting down there if he gets out and does some walking away from the main roads. There is no secret to get the tag. Be on the computer and logged into your account before 8AM MST on the 10th and keep trying to get the tag until it goes through. Generally the G&F site slows down to a crawl or worse the first day of leftovers and you just have to have patience and your fingers crossed that there will be tags left when the site let's you do your thing. There are enough tags left that you should get one if you do that.

If you have never been in that unit it has some really awesome country - just being there would be worth it. That part of the unit does have some private out towards Pathfinder Res. and per the bio for the unit the antelopes head out that direction after the season opens so depending it could be tough or not. Still worth it though IMHO.
Get a good map and have fun:)

I hunt this unit year in and year out, good area with lots of public, and lopes. the type 2 tag upsets me i was hopeing for 2 reasons

1. it over croweds that half of the unit because not only will all 200 type 2 hunter will be in that half but 50% of type 1 hunters will be also.
2. this unit neededa tag cut not an increase of 200 tags, four years ago i know of 5 bucks that scored 83 + taken. now its hard to find one that will go mid 70's. its gotten shot out

good luck to to and me this year, i will kill one before augest is over so i dont have to deal with crowds of rifle hunters

MM---Only 16 tags fpr Type 2 went in the draw, so it will be interesting to see how many of the 184 that are left sell. I've had several members PM me asking why all those tags are left and I just had to flat out say that I had no idea!

Dang Mosely Middleton you are all over the place! Im going to try and grab a 63-2 tag on tuesday and get it done in archery as well. Been out there a few times already to see if it would be worth the time and i think it is.

I spend 3 days a week in the mountains or prarrie covering the seirra madres, to the black . Hunting fishing and predator control, with some archery tournaments and snowmobiling in between. Being outdoors is what i love so i make a point to go every chance i get. Last year was the first year i didn't hunt 63 since 2007

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-12 AT 06:55AM (MST)[p]There is quite a bit of public in 63-2 but not like the west side of the Buzzard road. In 63-2 if you get more than a mile or 2 east of the road you'll need to know where you are. There is quite a bit of private in there as well. My guess is thats why the extra tags over there. 184 tags left out of 200 should tell you something :>) I also agree that with that many tags it could be a 3 ring circus. When I talked to the bio last fall he was talking about a cut. I was surprised to see all of those tags.

From what I can tell on my CD ROM it looks like there is about 5 miles of public land to the east of the road up in the northern part of Carbon County and it gradually decreases as you come down until about 6 or 7 miles to the south it's down to about 2 miles. There also appears to be quite a bit of public land that is accessible in the southeast section of the unit where it shows a lot of winter range. A good part of that, at least down in the southern part, looks like pretty rough country.

one more last min question....do you need to purchase a conservation stamp prior to or at the same time as your tag??? or just sometime before you go hunting??? and will the computer allow you to make errors if you need to purchase it at the same time??? just dont want to try to get a tag and a conservation stamp only to be unsuccessful obtaining a tag and stuck with a stamp i wont be utilizing....thanks again guys!!!

You just need to buy a conservation stamp before you go hunting. Also the online system will not allow you to make any mistakes, be ready to get the tag early I have decided I'm not going to get the tag this year and focus all my attention on my bull tag. I have spent 4 days in this area already scouting and have some gps coordinates on a couple good bucks I have found so if anybody needs any direction just ask! Good luck to all with the tag.

Andrew

You can buy the Conservation Stamp online any time as long as you have it before you go into the field hunting. I would just worry about getting the tag tomorrow if you are trying to get one of a few for a particular unit that are left. After you're successful getting the tag you can go back online and buy the stamp. When you do that online you'll print it out right at home. When I do it I downsize it so it's readable before I print it out and sign it. That way it's a lot smaller and you can cut it out of the 8"x11" computer paper. I then staple it right to my license when that comes in the mail so I know it won't get lost.

WOW, Those went fast !! By 8:02 all 186 of 'em were gone - and I didn't get one :>( Oh well, not too disapointed. That would have just distracted my unit 87 deer hunt. Maybe I'll pick up a doe Ant. tag in case I get my deer quickly. Good luck to those who got the tag.

I was lucky and picked up a couple to use on my way to Utah. Hunted the unit twice but always to the west. Should be fun the last two weeks.

Wow. They did go fast. I thought long and hard about trying to buy one. My big concern was they would go so fast that I would get one and my hunting partner wouldn't or vice versa.

I hunted the west side of the unit last year and had a great time.

WITU, just for your future info - you can apply together online as long as you use one credit card for payment. That way you both either get one or you don't.

Mikes right. My bad. I saw the group ap box on the online leftover purchase page and I assumed that the same rules applied as in the reg draw. I guess we know what happens when you assume...

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-12 AT 07:35PM (MST)[p]chipc---I learned something today and will have to eat my words regarding what I stated earlier. I just went in the leftover lists for antelope like I was doing it as a party and it will let you buy licenses for more than one person just like you stated. I thought each person had to do it on their own, but it allows you to enter the other person's information after you have done yours and continue on with the transaction in their account. Then when it's all completed you go to the checkout to pay for the total fees just like you do for a single applicant. That's a new one on me---so MY BAD and not you, LOL! If you want licenses for the same area for more than one person like I put in to see what would happen, it reserves that many licenses for you for so many minutes until the transactions are completed. So in essence, he could have done exactly what you stated as long as the licenses he put in for the two of them were available and he completed the transactions before the computer timed out. New one on me Bro!!!

well i was one of the lucky ones apparently, ended up getting the tag...while on a wild land fire assignment to top it off.....i will gladly accept the gps location on those bucks lol....

TOPGUN....Mike see my post below from this morning I did just that when I bought tags for my buddy and I using MY CC for both of us.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind in the future.

I still probably did the right thing by sitting this one out. I need a couple of pieces of new gear and am planning a big turkey hunt next spring.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom