one year anniversary

mozey

Long Time Member
I just posted this in the campfire forum, but figured I post here as well for ya all's amusement. Don't try this at home!

One year ago today, I drove to the edge of a wilderness area to do a little shed hunting. Backed my truck up to the edge of a steep drop-off so that it would be out of the way of any passing vehicles. Should have been concerned when I tried to lock the truck up and the automatic locks didn't work, but it's an old beater and I just assumed they had worn out. Spent the next ten hours hiking up and down mountains, combing for elk sheds. Found eight with one nice matching brown set. Got back to my truck just after dark. Loaded in the sheds. Turned the key, and got no response whatsoever--battery was completely dead. Cell phone had been left in searching-for-service mode all day and was dead, and I could not re-charge it because the truck battery was dead. Could not push my truck up the hill to try to push start it, and could not back it up because of the aforementioned steep drop-off. The temperature had dropped below freezing, and I was dressed in only a light jacket. I had not intended to camp, and didn't have any way to make a fire or stay warm. Over the years I've displayed more than my share of stupidity, but I don't recall ever doing so many stupid things in such short succession.

I was already stiff and sore from hiking all day--figured I'd already put in at least ten or twelve miles. But the next day was the turkey opener, so I thought if I just stuck to the road, I'd probably pass a turkey hunter camp and be able to get some help. Started walking out at about 8:30 p.m. Walked for 15 miles. Didn?t see a camp or another vehicle until I was all the way off the mountain, and hiking along a paved road that runs through Pueblo land. Finally, at 1:30 in the morning, I saw headlights off in the distance coming toward me. My first thought was to hide because I was not completely comfortable with the idea of who might be driving out in the middle of nowhere at that time of the morning, but my feet (also cursed with flat feet) and legs were so sore that I just didn't have the energy. So I just stood there holding my flashlight and literally prayed that the occupant of the oncoming vehicle would either offer help or otherwise just leave me alone.

Seeing me, the vehicle quickly slowed and stopped about 20 yards short of pulling up along side, the driver?s side window cracked open, and a deep voice boomed: "What the hell are you doing?" He obviously wondered what kind of idiot would be wandering around in the middle of nowhere at 1:30 a.m. on a freezing morning. I explained my plight. Dude turned out to be the Lieutenant Governor of the Pueblo. He was on patrol that night because earlier that day there had been a fight between some of his tribe and members of a neighboring Pueblo. He allowed me to use his cell to call my wife, and then drove me 20 or so miles to the nearest gas station where she came and picked me up. Dude wouldn't accept any payment or anything, but turns out, we both share a common friend, so I'm hoping that I get a turkey this year, so that I can get my friend to take him the tail feathers.

Gave the matching set of browns to my buddy who drove me back up the next day and towed my truck out of there. My truck? Turns out the wire that recharges the battery came loose while driving up that rocky road... :-(

I'm getting too old for this crap. Please help me feel better and post any of your own misadventures that you're willing to share. :)

Dang Mozey, hope this helps.

Opening morning turkey season 07: My cousin and I got up and hiked three hours in the dark into a "roadless area" in the Pecos where we had located a bunch of birds. Got to our spot right before shooting light, set down our packs, loaded my gun and four different gobblers immediately shock gobbled within 200 yards of us. We set up a couple of decoys on the edge of a park, and as soon as we had shooting light started calling. Looked up on the ridge and could see two toms running down the slope racing to be first to the hens at the edge of the park. At that moment I heard what sounded like a low growl and quickly turned into a four wheeler with two guys driving through the middle of the series of parks we were set up in. They blasted by, passing about 20 feet from our decoys which they never saw, and drove right by the gobblers that ran right by them. Wondering what the hell had just happened, we quickly found out that due to our superb scouting skills, we had for some reason failed to look at the map in my backpack and had "scouted" and hiked (twice) to a spot that was only a couple of hundred yards from a well-used dirt track that we could have easily driven to in about a half hour from a forest service road....I thought I was good at finding spots far from the road but I guess stupid is as stupid does!

The only other time I did this was back in the day in high school in Colorado when a buddy and I fished a lake until dark and then decided to hike a good mile away from the lake to enjoy a case of cold ones and a bonfire away from the watchful eye of a notorious park ranger. Woke up sometime the next morning to an unholy headache, my shirt torn to shreds, laying with one side of my face in the dirt, the other side completely sunburned, still clutching an empty can, and staring at the boot of the aforementioned ranger who had happened upon me snoring in the middle of a trailhead while leading a nature hike for a bunch of tourists. Turns out that during our nighttime hike we had gotten turned around and ended up about 20 feet off the main trailhead...I still don't know what happened or why or how my sleeping bag got so far up that pine tree but I'm still blaming it on sasquatch.

ROFLMAO...Much thanks, nmelktrout. That does make me feel better!

p.s.: I too, can relate to hiking in twelve miles only to discover an access road that I didn't know was there...

Well we went out two weeks ago to unit 50 looking for sheds.We hiked 5 miles and came up empty.We take off and hit the only snow and mud in the unit.We spend a couple hours trying to get it out.but only accomplish getting soaked and full of mud.We walk 8 miles and get picked up by his brother we decide to return in the morning.Next day we show up with a dually and my jeep.We try winching it out but nada.Then we try pulling it and i blow the rear end on my jeep.Oh by the way i have bronchitis from the day before.still didnt get it out. Cant find a tow truck driver that will go in there.Finally on day 4 we found someone that took it out.Talk about an expensive week.But i must love the pain cuz next weekend we were at it again.Mozey at least you had sheds to cry on.No wonder our wives age better than us

DSCN0431_0004_004.jpg

Oh man, that's rough. You guys are my kind of people. That's quite similar to a mess that I got myself into a few years ago when the Highway Patrol closed down I-40 just east of Gallup because of a blizzard. I thought I would outsmart them all and four-wheel my way around the road closure through the Reservation and Oil Fields. In hindsight, I would not recommend this to anyone else. Let's just say I paid the tow truck driver that was willing to go out and get me at 3:00 a.m. a very large tip for his silence...

Oh man, that mud hole looks vicious. Glad you finally got out man. No price too big to pay for the love of getting out though.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom