Open country bulls

Butts

I have seen some stories and pictures on here with bulls being harvested in open country with archery tackle.
Some might say it’s impossible ? Is it? Thoughts/stories? Pictures..

I have seen some stories and pictures on here with bulls being harvested in open country with archery tackle.
Some might say it’s impossible ? Is it? Thoughts/stories? Pictures..
You've posted pictures of the biggest open country archery bull in years, what's the point of this post?

You've posted pictures of the biggest open country archery bull in years, what's the point of this post?
400 or 300 tactics work the same.. just looking for other archers successes in the same environment.?
I’m not looking for advice, just thoughts/opinions/stories on how it’s been accomplished.? That’s all.

This bull was killed in ankle-high grass, at about 10-15 yards, with no trees for cover. I don't know the actual range because I just pointed the arrow at him and pulled the release.

It takes a lot of luck, but it happens.

20180916_193117.jpg

I don't know the backstory of the bull people were talking about in the other thread, but lack of trees certainly isn't enough evidence to convince me something nefarious happened.

This bull was killed in ankle-high grass, at about 10-15 yards, with no trees for cover. I don't know the actual range because I just pointed the arrow at him and pulled the release.

It takes a lot of luck, but it happens.

View attachment 112885

I don't know the backstory of the bull people were talking about in the other thread, but lack of trees certainly isn't enough evidence to convince me something nefarious happened.
Great looking bull congrats! Did pattern him? Ambush or stalk? If I can politely ask?

Great looking bull congrats! Did pattern him? Ambush or stalk? If I can politely ask?
We were stalking him using a Montana decoy to get closer. He chased another elk over a small hill and we made an aggressive move towards the herd. The cows got spooked and took off.

We heard the bull bugle as he was coming back our way so we laid face-down in the grass as the bull came running back over the hill, only to find his cows were gone.

He walked right on top of us and screamed... it sent shivers down my back, it was AWESOME. That's when I rolled over to my side and pulled back the string in one motion. That's also why I didn't have time to get a range, or even find a pin. It all happened too fast.

Like I said... just luck.

We were stalking him using a Montana decoy to get closer. He chased another elk over a small hill and we made an aggressive move towards the herd. The cows got spooked and took off.

We heard the bull bugle as he was coming back our way so we laid face-down in the grass as the bull came running back over the hill, only to find his cows were gone.

He walked right on top of us and screamed... it sent shivers down my back, it was AWESOME. That's when I rolled over to my side and pulled back the string in one motion. That's also why I didn't have time to get a range, or even find a pin. It all happened too fast.

That’s awesome. Thanks for the story!??

Pretty sure it was a tad more than Luck , instead of being lazy you made an aggressive move that paid off, don't think you would have had that opportunity if you hadn't been a good hunter. Well done and a beautiful bull.

Hunters have been spotting and stalking Antelope in open country forever. Elk must be some mythical unicorn creature that couldn’t possibly succumb to patient and persistent hunting tactics.

Most likely a see me post. Pat me on the back.
Yes see it can be done and hear feedback from other members who have done the same exact thing to harvest a mature bull.
I’ll pat other guys on the back.. killing 340 + bulls in the desert is easy compared to big muleys with a bow.. JME.

Brian Call (Gritty Bowman) likes to hunt the open stuff. Seen a few of his videos, and he is ultra patient and waits for the right set up. If a bull is on a hot cow, then it can be much easier. It can be done.

Butt's,
No one is saying it is impossible to kill bulls in open country?
This isn't your claim.
Yes, there are actually think pockets of trees in the area I shot him.
There where others hunters trying to harvest this bull. This bull got blown out the area a couple different times. I just stayed persistent and knew the elk would calm down .
Got within 100 yds twice, but no dice!! Gotta love the wind with a stick-flipper in your hand.

ramkiller and his wife hunted the bull for the first 5 day's, and had a close call. So one of you are telling lies.

There are no pockets of thick trees within a half mile from gut pile.
No blood out of the mouth from a bull that would have ran a long, long ways.
You told me in writing only two holes in the bull, an entrance and exit from an arrow. Yet your picture below show two holes, one at the crease, and one a foot back and 6 inches higher, where you bow is trying to cover. The blood from both shots were wiped left to right. that is why it is bright on the left side is each location.
You also say you shot it Sept. 6th in one post and 7th day on another, but kept this great bull a secret until November 24th your first post. How come? IF everything was legal and you were proud of the bull? There are a lot of things that just don't add up. I private messaged you and gave you my phone number to answer a few more questions. If you want to remove doubt from those who know details and explain why evidence is different from your written statements that would help those who know details understand better. If you don't want to respond and answer a few questions, that is fine as well.

1688047112730.png

**** or get off the pot! If you have information that proves what you say to be true, you need to call it in. If it's all conjecture on your part, you'd better be 100% not 98% that your right. Otherwise tarneshing this harvest all over the internet every time the picture pops up, is petty and childish.

**** or get off the pot! If you have information that proves what you say to be true, you need to call it in. If it's all conjecture on your part, you'd better be 100% not 98% that your right. Otherwise tarneshing this harvest all over the internet every time the picture pops up, is petty and childish.
Jgill,
I'm giving Butt's a chance to answer a few questions. No Conjecture at all. Facts. His statements don't add up to evidence. I'm not going to hash everything up on this forum. If Butt's want to do some explaining that would be nice. If not, that is his choice. There has been a part investigation.

Jgill,
I'm giving Butt's a chance to answer a few questions. No Conjecture at all. Facts. His statements don't add up to evidence. I'm not going to hash everything up on this forum. If Butt's want to do some explaining that would be nice. If not, that is his choice. There has been a part investigation.
Fair enough... I'd let them do their job then, likely they are asking the same questions.

Greg, let’s start with this.. if my username name was LittleMan50.. and LittleMan50 posted the picture of the #5 all time archery non-typical elk in Idaho history.! In open country would you still have the same debate?
If it was a small bull it would not even caught your radar? Right? Wrong?
would have slid by you like your daily shower experience.?IDK seems right…
@treedagain What’s the “ See me” BS .. don’t be a Douc.. like the rest.. ..

Greg, let’s start with this.. if my username name was LittleMan50.. and LittleMan50 posted the picture of the #5 all time archery non-typical elk in Idaho history.! In open country would you still have the same debate?
If it was a small bull it would not even caught your radar? Right? Wrong?
would have slid by you like your daily shower experience.?IDK seems right…
@treedagain What’s the “ See me” BS .. don’t be a Douc.. like the rest.. ..
Butt's that is fine if you don't want to explain, how your statements in writing is very different than pictures, no trees anywhere near the gut pile, You shot it at Night, your own words. Keep it quite until November 24. Plus a history of trying to cover for your friends on poaching the Hyde Park buck. WE both know the truth. A couple other guys also know. If you had some good reasons why your statements don't add up with evidence, I would think that would be helpful for you. I always try to be fair. I asked straight forward questions. You decline, and plead the 5th. That is your right. I guess I am just a little man. You are a very big man in stature, I'm OK with that. Do you really want everyone to believe there is only 2 holes entrance and exit wound from an arrow, after looking at the picture. Was the shot in the crease or a foot back and 6 inches higher? Which one? You don't seem to be very happy for shooting such a great bull. I would have a smile from ear to ear! Best future for you.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom